FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Allegiant (G4) New Route BLI-ANC
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:29 am
CZBB

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Yes, I mean to say when QX flies to BLI it’s a Q400, not an E75.
E75 is about the only thing the AS group hasn't sent to BLI. Q400, 737s and even OO CRJs have showed up at one point or another.

G4 don't offer connections, so I don't really see how this flight works for the leisure market (If it were part of an ANC-BLI-LAS flight it might make more sense); this is a pure O&D play. If you used it for a cruise, now you've just arrived at Canada Place, but your car is at BLI which isn't at all convenient. Alaska will respond, although I suspect it will be from PAE not BLI.

And in a very weird way, the Saudi's indirect apology for Khashoggi have ensured that AS are unlikely expand at BLI for the next little while (Low oil price = lower Canadian Dollar = lower demand @ BLI).

AS and G4 still have a big advantage (due to US flying across the border taxes - vs driving for free) operating into US (only) leisure markets from BLI vs their competition trying to do the same thing from YVR or YXX. So, I don't expect the Canadian ULCCs to really put that much of a dent into G4's base market of LAS/PSP/IWA/SAN. ANC just strikes me as a very very different market - time will tell.