Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS BofA Visa - Multiple Personal Cards No Longer Allowed (24-Month Waiting Period)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS BofA Visa - Multiple Personal Cards No Longer Allowed (24-Month Waiting Period)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

Good news for some bad for others. You can no longer apply for AS Visa if you have an open AS Visa card. You have to close all of your AS Visa cards and wait 24 months from when they were cancelled to apply again.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...h-rewards-etc/

So if you want to continue getting more than 1 companion cert per year, do not close your existing cards. Must be AS doing. I wonder if AS will be limiting purchase of miles at some point as well?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
I understood it to be essentially: Just wait 24months before getting additional cards.

"This Cash Rewards card will not be available to you if you currently have a Cash Rewards card unless you have had that Cash Rewards card for at least 24 months."
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by CDKing
Must be AS doing.
More likely BofA's doing. All the major credit card issuers are evaluating the costs of their rewards programs and cutting back where they believe it is appropriate.

Video killed the radio star and bloggers and maximizers killed the bank cards' extravagances.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
So if you want to continue getting more than 1 companion cert per year, do not close your existing cards. Must be AS doing.
I don’t see how the source indicates that it’s AS’s doing because this applies to all BofA cards albeit with differences for premium and non-premium cards (no idea if the source is accurate):

Bank of America now added a new 24-month restriction whereby, generally, you can not get any given BofA credit card if you got that card in the last 24 months.
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I understood it to be essentially: Just wait 24months before getting additional cards.

"This Cash Rewards card will not be available to you if you currently have a Cash Rewards card unless you have had that Cash Rewards card for at least 24 months."
But for the AS and premium cards:

On the other hand, for the Alaska and Premium Rewards cards, you can only get approved if you don’t have the card and you haven’t had it in the prior 24 months.
(Emphasis in original.)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dayone
More likely BofA's doing. All the major credit card issuers are evaluating the costs of their rewards programs and cutting back where they believe it is appropriate.

Video killed the radio star and bloggers and maximizers killed the bank cards' extravagances.
If AS is paying them for the points why would they care? Though the other non AS cards could indicate a joint decision. I guess its not a coincidence AS has been cutting back on benefits since they lost so much money on the VX acquisition

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 6, 2019 at 6:30 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
If AS is paying them for the points why would they care?
I thought the banks buy miles/points from the loyalty programs, thus making the loyalty programs very profitable for the airlines/hotels.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If AS is paying them for the points why would they care?
Other way around. AS is not paying BoA to give you miles. BoA is buying the miles from AS to give to you

I'm sure that they get a great rate (BoA is not paying 2c like we have to) but any time you get AS miles from someone other than AS, the third party is paying AS for those miles. Same with milage plan dining, shopping, partner flights credited to AS, etc, etc.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Other way around. AS is not paying BoA to give you miles. BoA is buying the miles from AS to give to you

I'm sure that they get a great rate (BoA is not paying 2c like we have to) but any time you get AS miles from someone other than AS, the third party is paying AS for those miles. Same with milage plan dining, shopping, partner flights credited to AS, etc, etc.
And I am sure AS gets a cut off of those that don't pay their balance in full each month too.

James
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
In Q3 report AS shared that cards generated $1 billion in cash flow.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
But what is included in the cash flow? A break down would be interesting.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Agreed. I only reviewed presentation. Not sure if annual report breaks it out further.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I'm guessing thhat B of A has to buy all those miles we get every month....wonder how many that is. Then they may pay AS for using their images etc. but wonder if that would be considered "card generated" income. Wonder if they include fares that are charged to the BofA card as, in whole or in part, as card generated...given a choice and getting lots of miles, I imagine there is some extra coming in as people choose Alaska and use their BofA card. Brain is fried...can't think what else is possible card generated income. It would be interesting to know how many BofA AS cards are in use and what the average monthly spend is for each type.
PDXFA likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by kileysmom
I'm guessing thhat B of A has to buy all those miles we get every month....wonder how many that is.
It's not guessing; it is public knowledge that banks pay airlines for miles earned on affinity credit cards. I think the exact rate in the contract as well as the details of how it's paid out (ie is it strictly per mile? is there some sort of threshold the bank promises? Does the rate fluctuate depending on volume or other factors? etc) are commerical-in-confidence, but typical guesses are in the 1.5 cent per mile range for typical airline credit cards (not specifically BofA/AS).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:58 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ashill
I think the exact rate in the contract as well as the details of how it's paid out (ie is it strictly per mile? is there some sort of threshold the bank promises? Does the rate fluctuate depending on volume or other factors? etc) are commerical-in-confidence, but typical guesses are in the 1.5 cent per mile range for typical airline credit cards (not specifically BofA/AS).
The buy rates, and other terms and agreements, are treated as competitive secrets, so there is not a lot of public data. My very-slightly-informed guess is the price ranges are closer to 1˘ than to 1.5˘. Years ago, Citi had the best rate with AA, and Chase (UA) and Amex (DL) paid more. That may not be the case now. The agreements have grown more complicated and include much more than miles.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 7, 2019 at 10:34 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by kileysmom
I'm guessing thhat B of A has to buy all those miles we get every month....wonder how many that is.
For me personally? Not very much. I rarely use the card since it doesn’t have a good earnings rate compared to my other cards. I did appreciate the signup bonus and the annual companion pass, though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.