FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1947731-what-will-alaska-airlines-serving-first-class-your-flight-2019-a.html)

BOB W Dec 27, 2018 9:16 am

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

A slight change to this thread for 2019. Please include whether a menu card was offered along with the other information:

Date:
Route:
Flight Number:
Departure time:
Menu: Yes/No
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack:

2019...Here we come!!! May the food fight begin:D

dayone Jan 1, 2019 7:01 pm

Moderator Note: The mods periodically receive requests to limit this thread to food-only posts and/or limit the off-topic discussion. History has taught us that a food-only thread would require too much editing. Members see a food post and many want to comment.

On the other hand, we can try to limit off-topic discussion. This thread is one of the most read and commented on each year. Staying on-topic keeps it manageable and increases its value and utility.

A few off-topic posts have been deleted to help start us off on the right foot. Please try to post and comment only on the food served in AS F. Thanks for your cooperation.

dayone, AS Moderator

Legend717 Jan 1, 2019 8:03 pm

Date: 1/1/19
Route: DFW-PDX
Flight Number: 655
Departure time: 15:10
Menu: No
Meal description: lunch; baked cod.

This was really quite good. I chose the cod over the veg pasta option. Entree was served as a second course, separately.
Crew was great.
We had water bottles handed to us at the end of boarding.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...15438ab31.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...075554fcd.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4ba678f45.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...75597ef7a.jpeg
The carrots were curried. Yum!
Dessert was a chocolate chip cookie, which the F/A offered as a snicker doodle..... ok...

lalala Jan 2, 2019 1:15 pm

the rice looks tasty.

AS737 Jan 2, 2019 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 30597370)
Date: 1/1/19
Route: DFW-PDX
Flight Number: 655
Meal description: lunch; baked cod.

This was really quite good. I chose the cod over the veg pasta option. Entree was served as a second course, separately.
Crew was great.
We had water bottles handed to us at the end of boarding.

Dessert was a chocolate chip cookie, which the F/A offered as a snicker doodle..... ok...

It's supposed to be a snickerdoodle. All of the paperwork would have said snickerdoodle. Odds are catering just gave them the wrong cookies

Legend717 Jan 2, 2019 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by lalala (Post 30600600)
the rice looks tasty.

It was, it definitely was.
I must say that I was really quite impressed. I would have PREFERRED a more luxurious dessert, if I must complain. But as for the actual meal itself, from bread (and hey! They even catered butter this time!) to salad to entree, I was really very pleased with both quality AND quantity.
Alaska needs to keep up this good work; I was flying on an MVPG elite upgrade, but it made me reconsider whether I'd be willing to actually pay for AS F.

Originally Posted by AS737
It's supposed to be a snickerdoodle. All of the paperwork would have said snickerdoodle. Odds are catering just gave them the wrong cookies

I figured it was something like this.
I'd had a snickerdoodle on the outbound, PDX-DAL leg, and while it could have been good, it was actually undercooked, and had raw cookie dough in the middle.
Being a big fan of cookie dough, I wasn't particularly upset...!

jhurwitz Jan 2, 2019 9:26 pm

Date: 1/2/2019
Route: BOS-SFO
Flight Number: 1357
Departure time: 7:25pm, but delayed to 8:58pm
Menu: Yes
Meal description: Dinner

Water bottle at the seat upon boarding, but no PDB. At take-off: hot towel, menu, beverage, and warm nuts. Entree options were roasted cod or veggie spinach bolognese ravioli.

This was the first Airbus flight I've taken where I was able to pre-order a meal, and the FA noted my order. Starter + main dish came out at the same time (salad, bread, and entree -- they did not serve the soup listed on the menu).

After the meal service, the FA asked who wanted ice cream. I was served cinnamon snickerdoodle in a Salt & Straw-branded cup. The passenger sitting next to me remarked that they forgot the ice cream on his last flight; the FA agreed that catering has been inconsistent recently.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0f89fd7a52.jpg

BOB W Jan 2, 2019 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 30597370)
[…]

Are those cooked grapes? I have never seen those, ever. How were they?

Robt760 Jan 3, 2019 11:08 am

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c6448d2c2.jpeg

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 30602416)
Are those cooked grapes? I have never seen those, ever. How were they?

The menu started in December. Looks like they forgot to put the yogurt sauce on it, or it wasn’t catered.

They are roasted grapes (on the Cod entree). Interesting add of texture, with a ‘burst’ of sweetness.

Legend717 Jan 3, 2019 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760 (Post 30604860)

The menu started in December. Looks like they forgot to put the yogurt sauce on it, or it wasn’t catered.

They are roasted grapes (on the Cod entree). Interesting add of texture, with a ‘burst’ of seeetness.

I had no yogurt sauce on mine, either. Seems like several things on AS's menu are figments of someone's imagination.

To answer the grape question, yeah, they were nice, and added something to the dish.

RAD_PDX Jan 4, 2019 8:44 pm

Date: 1/4/19
Route: ORD-PDX
Flight Number: 687
Meal description: Lunch- Roasted Cod with Cucumber Yogurt. Seared Alaskan cod seasoned with coriander and cumin, with a savory saffron basmati rice pilaf and cinnamon-paprika roasted carrots. Served with roasted red grapes and a cucumber-garlic yogurt sauce.
*Preordered 14 days in advance

I asked for the cucumber yogurt sauce to be left off and this didn't seem to cause too much trouble. The result was a very tasty lunch. The highlight of the flight was an incredibly delicious snickerdoodle cookie.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9273d3855c.jpg

philemer Jan 4, 2019 8:48 pm

1-4-19, SEA-LAX
Departure ~11am

Choice of:
-Protein Plate or
-Turkey Burger

Ran out of Protein Plate so I was stuck with the Turkey Burger. Bland but not gross.

Also no PDB offered. :(

Xrayman Jan 4, 2019 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 30578510)
A slight change to this thread for 2019. Please include whether a menu card was offered along with the other information:

Date:
Route:
Flight Number:
Departure time:
Menu: Yes/No
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack:

2019...Here we come!!! May the food fight begin:D

January 4, 2019
MKE to SEA AS #175
6:40 pm departure
Roasted cod with cucumber yogurt for me
Spinach Bolagnese ravioli for the kid

Legend717 Jan 5, 2019 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 30612019)
1-4-19, SEA-LAX
Departure ~11am

Choice of:
-Protein Plate or
-Turkey Burger

Ran out of Protein Plate so I was stuck with the Turkey Burger. Bland but not gross.

Also no PDB offered. :(

I'm actually a big fan of the turkey burger. I agree that it's a little bland, but mine at least had good tomatoes and some guac to moisten things up a bit. Plus chips and the raw cookie dough snicker doodle I mentioned upthread!

RAD_PDX Jan 5, 2019 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 30616182)
the raw cookie dough snicker doodle I mentioned upthread!

Mine yesterday was "raw" as well. I just assumed this was intended as it was so good...

Kurt Jan 6, 2019 10:29 am

This is late in 2018 but the menu item is "new" so I am posting in 2019.

Date: Dec. 26, 2018

Route: SEA-DEN
Flight Number: 682
Departure time: 5:45 p.m.
Meal description: Snack

After many turkey (hot) and roast beef (cold) sandwiches, this turkey burger tasted great and was a nice change. Protein plate was the other choice. The turkey patty was thick and juicy. I would have liked some mustard and a bag of chips but that is a small quibble. Seattle Chocolates peppermint/dark was dessert. Service was a bit slow/disorganized but not bad.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d045dc840e.jpg

FluxTZ Jan 6, 2019 4:49 pm

Date: 1/6/19
Route: JFK-LAX
Flight Number: 1411
Departure time: 1:00p ETD (4:00p ATD)
Menu: Yes/No: Yes

Starter was the leek and potato soup, which was good. Main course choices were the cod or spinach ravioli. I went with the ravioli. Kale seemed a little undercooked but it was probably for the better as it kept the pasta from being overcooked. Came with diced/grilled sweet potatoes and was overall tasty as well.

I'm digging the new meal trays they're using too. Much better than the old cafeteria trays and a good alternative to VX's linen service.

Xrayman Jan 7, 2019 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Xrayman (Post 30612070)
January 4, 2019
MKE to SEA AS #175
6:40 pm departure
Roasted cod with cucumber yogurt for me
Spinach Bolagnese ravioli for the kid

1/719
Flight #170
SEA to MKE
12:15 pm departure
Pre-ordered the roasted Chicken with Clementines

tom911 Jan 8, 2019 2:46 pm

Currently on board AS1106, the 10:30am Airbus departure SFO-RDU. Pre-ordered chicken with clementines and that came with a gooey chocolate chip cookie for dessert. Wasn't provided a menu being that I pre-ordered. Many Clemson fans on board and we had a school cheer at the gate before departure.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6c2f080680.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b7f60a3c55.jpg

Legend717 Jan 8, 2019 2:52 pm

THAT looks FANTASTIC.
Perhaps a little bit small. But presentation is very good!

finlandia Jan 8, 2019 10:10 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Date: Jan 7, 2018
Route: SEA-HNL
Flight Number: 145
Departure time: 5:45 pm
Menu: No. Tha FA had to make do with a printout with tiny pictures. Fortunately, being Korean, she was able to explain bibimbap in detail.

I preordered the bibimbap, for which I was praised by the FA. The portion is on the small side and it's been adjusted significantly for an American audience. Example: the egg was cooked to over medium. But it was good and the sauce really was spicy. Some of my fellow passengers did not enjoy the sauce as much as I did. Fancy ice cream afterwards, good as always.

I also love the new trays. Though I wish they would go back to the butter in the wrapper instead of in the dish. I liked warming it in my hands before use.

PDXPremier Jan 9, 2019 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 30628945)
THAT looks FANTASTIC.
Perhaps a little bit small. But presentation is very good!

I had this meal the other day on PDX-ORD....I only wished it tasted as half as good as it looks.

tom911 Jan 9, 2019 12:40 pm

On last night's AS1107, the 7:20pm delayed to 9:30pm RDU-SFO Airbus flight, I had spinach bolognese ravioli. Cheese and extra sauce were on the side. The menus were presented with a plastic cover as if they were just pulled out of a binder (and taken back after our selections were made). The on-line menu showed cod as the other option, though unable to preorder meals on this flight.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7f4564b17f.jpg

osubeavers01 Jan 10, 2019 7:08 pm

AS 764 from PDX to DCA on 1/10

Choice of sweet potatoe hash or a Montamore tomatoe omlette. I pre ordered the omelette and was very happy with my choice. Flight attendants were excellent, with offers of pre departure beverages and very attentive throughout the flight.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c17f47620.jpeg

dayone Jan 10, 2019 7:20 pm

My unscientific observations are that the turkey burger served as a dinner includes chips and guacamole. Served as a snack, it does not.

CRAZ8 Jan 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Those are our choices for SEA-HNL next week. We have currently picked 1 of each!

osubeavers01 Jan 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by CRAZ8 (Post 30639317)
Those are our choices for SEA-HNL next week. We have currently picked 1 of each!

The person next to me chose to skip the meal, so I didn’t get a good look at the hash option. Interested to hear what people think of it

dayone Jan 10, 2019 8:19 pm

I know that airline food is a punching bag and complaints about AS' food go back decades. That said, I think AS' F food has gotten better in the last year or two. More imaginative, a bit healthier and it certainly has more eye appeal. Look at the all the colors in the posted images.

Of course, YMMV.

tom911 Jan 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30639509)
That said, I think AS' F food has gotten better in the last year or two.

I only started flying Alaska transcons 25 months ago, and I've been pretty happy with Alaska meals. Any recent sightings of my two favorite desserts, though: the Chuckanut Bay cheesecake or the huge, calorie laden brownie?

pcoll Jan 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30639311)
My unscientific observations are that the turkey burger served as a dinner includes chips and guacamole. Served as a snack, it does not.

Since the Turkey Burger seems to be currently present on LAX/SEA routes, I looked up what flights have S (snack) and/or B-L-D (breakfast,lunch dinner) designation for F meal.
Looks like all pmVX flights have meal designation. Our flight is listed as Lunch. All other AS flights have S for snack . Will be interesting to see what is offered, will probably be just plain turkey burger.

Robt760 Jan 11, 2019 12:55 pm

AS 483 Jan 2019 Snack

Date: Jan 2019
Route: ONT - SEA
Flight Number: AS 483 - B739
Departure time: 7:30 PM
Menu: None
Meal description: Snack: Choice of Warm Turkey Ciabatta or Protein Plate

Water at seat. Hot towel and Beverage/Food order taken. Mini ramekin of warm nuts. I chose the Turkey Ciabatta, which consisted of a full sandwich cut in 1/2...no side/accompaniment. Seattle Chocolate 30 min prior to arrival.

Credit card pitch: Yes

Crew: Friendly “Ontario” based. Hard to believe that, with one or two daily mainline flights out of this station :rolleyes.

Robt760 Jan 11, 2019 1:06 pm

AS 2809 Snack Jan 2019

Route: PDX - ONT
Flight Number: AS 2809 E175 Horizon
Departure time: 5:30 PM
Meal description: Snack: Choice of Warm Turkey Cheeseburger or Protein Plate

Water at seat. Hot towel and Beverage/Food order taken. Mini ramekin of warm nuts. Cheeseburger selected... Tray consisted of a full sandwich with Bibb lettuce leaves, two tomato slices, and one scoop of avocado/guacamole on side ...no accompaniment otherwise. Seattle Chocolate 30 min prior to arrival.

Catering aside, I forgot how shockingly primitive the A Terminal OUTDOOR boarding situation is. More on that elsewhere, but REALLY ?

sltlyamusd Jan 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760 (Post 30642322)
Route: PDX - ONT
Flight Number: AS 2809 E175 Horizon
Departure time: 5:30 PM
Meal description: Snack: Choice of Warm Turkey Cheeseburger or Protein Plate

Water at seat. Hot towel and Beverage/Food order taken. Mini ramekin of warm nuts. Cheeseburger selected... Tray consisted of a full sandwich with Bibb lettuce leaves, two tomato slices, and one scoop of avocado/guacamole on side ...no accompaniment otherwise. Seattle Chocolate 30 min prior to arrival.

Catering aside, I forgot how shockingly primitive the A Terminal OUTDOOR boarding situation is. More on that elsewhere, but REALLY ?

honestly, I’m fine with the hot sandwich, but can’t they spend 50 cents and include a bag of chips on the side? Maybe they are trying to help with New Year’s Resolutions for weight loss.

safari ari Jan 11, 2019 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd (Post 30642601)

honestly, I’m fine with the hot sandwich, but can’t they spend 50 cents and include a bag of chips on the side? Maybe they are trying to help with New Year’s Resolutions for weight loss.

If they go to Costco and get a 54 pack of frito lays, it comes out to $.28 per bag, I can't help but think they can't get bags of chips for a quarter to actually make it a "meal".

Xrayman Jan 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari (Post 30643182)
If they go to Costco and get a 54 pack of frito lays, it comes out to $.28 per bag, I can't help but think they can't get bags of chips for a quarter to actually make it a "meal".

it’s the labor and storage that runs up the cost.

Legend717 Jan 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd (Post 30642601)

When I had this meal recently it did come with a bag of chips.

mbluecpa Jan 13, 2019 7:04 am

Date: 11 Jan 19
Route: SEA-CHS
Flight Number: 728
Departure time: 735a (scheduled) 716a (actual)
Meal description: Breakfast, with choice of sweet potato hash or Montamore tomato omelet. I had the omelet, which was as pictured unthread but with different fruit. My partner pre-ordered fruit and cheese which was also served with the scone and fruit. Smoothie shot (very strong ginger flavor) to start. Coffee or OJ offered as PDB.

tom911 Jan 13, 2019 10:58 am

Had the fruit and cheese plate on yesterday's AS1106, the 1030 departure SFO-RDU. On this flight, everything was served on one tray. On a similar flight a few days ago, the meal was served in three courses (bread/salad, entree, cookie). Passenger next to me had the chicken which was also served on one tray.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a14a1b2011.jpg

williwaw Jan 13, 2019 11:29 am

Date: 12 Jan 19
Route: PDX-HNL
Flight Number: 833
Departure time: 10:10 (scheduled) 10:30a (actual) (Mechanic electronic log issue)
Menu: Yes
Meal description: Served in two courses, the carrot ginger bisque was very nice. We both opted for the bibimbap bowl (or Rice Bowl as printed on menu) was great for this flight. Egg was cooked to medium (my wife and I love mixing runny eggs with the rice, but for a flight I can understand why that doesn't work!) The gochujang sauce was pretty mild, though I am pretty spice tolerant and prefer to cry through the heat.... We live very close to Salt and Straw so its funny to see it on the plane! Photos by my more talented companion.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d4bda1c378.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8679d4919.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f3cf363e6.jpeg

Robt760 Jan 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 30643269)
When I had this meal recently it did come with a bag of chips.

So......”All that, and a bag of chips.” :D