Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alcoholic Beverages Served Inflight - AS Has a Limit?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:14 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

I overheard a conversation between an F passenger and a FA about AS' limit on alcoholic beverages (confirmed by a second FA). It was news to me that said limit is five (5) alcoholic drinks on "long" flights and two (2) on "short" flights.

I fly midcons and LAX/SFO to PDX/SEA. I've never experienced or observed a limit, but I'm a two- or three-drink guy anymore. Four if I'm feeling really bold.

I'm curious if this really is a policy and if others have bumped up against it.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 15, 2024 at 10:34 am Reason: Typo.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:27 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I’m not surprised if there is from a liability perspective. I know they treat the canned cocktails as two servings (when I’ve asked for two at once…)
Seattle123 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:27 am

I've heard different numbers (3 and 4) on various flight lengths, so I tend to believe there's no official limit - more like a threshold made up by the FA when they think someone has had too much.

For the old fashioned, I do remember seeing a fine print of some limit per person due to the high ABV, but probably just specific to that drink.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ezak

For the old fashioned, I do remember seeing a fine print of some limit per person due to the high ABV, but probably just specific to that drink.
I believe it was one per beverage service (i.e, no doubles).
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:32 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not my experience.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:40 am

Programs: Yes
There is a policy on serving, but I don’t believe AS has published it. You will hear a varying number when asking crew about the policy though.

Crew is trained to serve at their discretion as every situation is different and AS concerned primarily for safety here. From experience, I can recall being denied three times and while I was disappointed at the time, I understood the FAs perspective on each occasion and they were completely professional about it.

One instance of discretion which I recall is that for an early AM midcon flight I was denied a third bourbon and my seatmate was denied a second glass of wine. Whereas, while I don’t drink as much on long haul flights these days I never experienced an issue with requesting beyond five beverages.

🤙🏻🥃
beckoa, AKLifetimeFlyer and pcoll like this.

Last edited by anteater; Jan 15, 2024 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dayone
Not my experience.
I believe that was the language on the beverage card re: those "strong" canned cocktails.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I think you're right. Though I've been given two without me even asking lol.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
For the odd times….im in premium. I have requested doubles for wines. Being 100K. Never an issue….when I only ask for one. They usually give me two and say. Just to make sure you are doing ok in between services.

in F. Never seen denied service. However. Even on long haul Hawaii flights. I never have more than 3 drinks. One awaiting meal….refill during meal. And one maybe mid flight. Always red wine or pog/orange juice mimosa.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also see:
[Speculation] Is There a New Four-Drink Limit on AS Flights (August 2021)?
dayone likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:41 pm

Now compare this to BA where I had to politely but firmly ask the FA to stop refilling my wine glass.
dw, Brendan, philemer and 11 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
For the odd times….im in premium. I have requested doubles for wines. Being 100K. Never an issue….when I only ask for one. They usually give me two and say. Just to make sure you are doing ok in between services.

in F. Never seen denied service. However. Even on long haul Hawaii flights. I never have more than 3 drinks. One awaiting meal….refill during meal. And one maybe mid flight. Always red wine or pog/orange juice mimosa.
This. I want to safely drive my rental car off the lot.
formeraa and MSPpete like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:23 pm

There is theoretical serving limit for everyone. Absent some way of measuring or assessing over-serving, a count is really the only viable option.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
I can tell you that myself and very frequent traveling companion co-worker have never been cut off. But we are both big former Navy dudes who have great Sailor livers.

There are flights we have cleared out the beer catering in first. Since we tend to do Transcon for most flights, it's not hard for each of us to have 6 beers.

Closest I have ever come is them just making sure we weren't driving when we got to wherever we were going.
beckoa and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by philemer
This. I want to safely drive my rental car off the lot.
exactly. . I’ve had to give my other half the glasses of red that just show up from the FAs. He was drunk. But I was sober to drive safely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.