Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Booking tickets in 2019 with lesser status than 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T

I am losing my MVP 75 status in 2019 completely, need to book a ticket for January where I an seeing confirmed upgrade space right now, if I choose that seat, would I loose it in 2019 when I go check in?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
I am losing my MVP 75 status in 2019 completely, need to book a ticket for January where I an seeing confirmed upgrade space right now, if I choose that seat, would I loose it in 2019 when I go check in?
Survey says no. There are variables, of course, like a schedule change or IRROPS, but lacking that, they normally stick.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Are you using using GGUs or outright purchasing an immediate upgrade fare to confirm into F at the time of booking? Either way, the ticket should be honoured since it was purchased while the benefits allowed it and you have confirmed seats. Should an IRROPS cause a loss of confirmed F on GGUs I would anticipate that AS would return them to you. GGUs can be used by anyone, including yourself, regardless of status. Your loss of Elite Status will most likely require a fee for any voluntary changes.

James
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Survey says no. There are variables, of course, like a schedule change or IRROPS, but lacking that, they normally stick.
For an advance schedule change on an instant upgrade fare, I’d call in, explain it was confirmed at booking, and kindly request from the rep to be moved back into U on the new flight (& open space for you if F seats are available but U isn’t open) or a refund of the difference between the instant upgrade fare and lowest Main Cabin.

Framed with that, I think it’s more of a toss up between AS deciding to hold onto the revenue or going to the trouble of issuing a refund of the difference.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel

For an advance schedule change on an instant upgrade fare, I’d call in, explain it was confirmed at booking, and kindly request from the rep to be moved back into U on the new flight (& open space for you if F seats are available but U isn’t open) or a refund of the difference between the instant upgrade fare and lowest Main Cabin.

Framed with that, I think it’s more of a toss up between AS deciding to hold onto the revenue or going to the trouble of issuing a refund of the difference.
When you get a fare difference refund, do they use lowest available at time of purchase, or lowest available when they issue the refund? Because by the time it happens, lowest available could easily be more than you paid (it's not rare for K or higher to be the lowest fare, and if you are less than 21 days in it may be more money even for the same fare bucket)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.