Wiki Posts
Search

$99 SEA-JFK in Jan and Feb

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
$99 SEA-JFK in Jan and Feb

Just noticed there are plenty $99 Saver SEA-JFK in Jan and Feb 2019. I know it's too early but maybe a good time for mileage run?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're not willing to spend the extra money to buy out of saver on a transcon, status doesn't have much value. The mileage run seems pointless.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:43 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Maybe OP is willing to "suffer" a bit in the beginning to gain more benefits later, if he/she is at risk of not making tier later? We all do aspects of this, I'm sure. There are also Bay Area --> NYC, PHL fares around that level too in Jan/Feb.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Just looking at $99 flights, it’s $30 for main and $60 (as a gold) for premium. So about 50% more for premium. Not sure that Saver is such a bad idea.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:20 pm

Hi -

I only do a TCON MR when I can confirm a 1st class seat before I had to the airport. AT T-2 (when I am ready to leave), if I have not been upgraded, I cancel, redeposit and use the funds later. So Saver is a total non-starter for me.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Just looking at $99 flights, it’s $30 for main and $60 (as a gold) for premium. So about 50% more for premium. Not sure that Saver is such a bad idea.
But probably all of his other flights are going to have similar buy-ups.

If he's not willing to buy-up and use the elite benefits on this (very long) flight, then it would stand to reason that he won't be buying up on his other flights either. Which makes that status kind of worthless, and therefore not worth mileage running for.

Note that the percentage of the buy-up is irrelevant. Whether the saver fare is $100 or $1000 should not affect your willingness to pay $30 to use your elite benefits. They have the same value, regardless of the saver fare.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But probably all of his other flights are going to have similar buy-ups.

If he's not willing to buy-up and use the elite benefits on this (very long) flight, then it would stand to reason that he won't be buying up on his other flights either. Which makes that status kind of worthless, and therefore not worth mileage running for.

Note that the percentage of the buy-up is irrelevant. Whether the saver fare is $100 or $1000 should not affect your willingness to pay $30 to use your elite benefits. They have the same value, regardless of the saver fare.
As a gold I earn 200% even on Saver so it’s free 5000 EQM for me. Normally I would pay the buy up but I would suffer for a day trip if it means free 5000 EQM for me
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97

As a gold I earn 200% even on Saver so it’s free 5000 EQM for me. Normally I would pay the buy up but I would suffer for a day trip if it means free 5000 EQM for me
Elite bonus miles don't count toward elite qualification.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
Elite bonus miles don't count toward elite qualification.
Roundtrip I mean. I get 10000RDM and 5000EQM while spending 200 bucks
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97

This doesn't really make any sense at all to me, but, whatever.

I guess, if you are happy to "suffer" for this (very long) trip, I don't know why you value those EQM.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

I guess, if you are happy to "suffer" for this (very long) trip, I don't know why you value those EQM.
I get status for the 100% bonus mainly—it means I get 200% miles guaranteed for AA/CX/BA PE product—none of the other programs give me that. Also, more think into it, I think the buyup is not too terrible—you pay 60 bucks for 5000 EQM and a better seat for 12 hours
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro

I wouldn't do it personally, but I don't think it's that unreasonable. If you're not tall, and you don't need to store a bag under the seat in front of you, there's not a very big difference in comfort between Premium and standard Y. And if you have an unoccupied middle seat — which is quite likely on a $99 TCON flight — then there isn't even a big difference between F and Y.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by milypan
I wouldn't do it personally, but I don't think it's that unreasonable. If you're not tall, and you don't need to store a bag under the seat in front of you, there's not a very big difference in comfort between Premium and standard Y. And if you have an unoccupied middle seat — which is quite likely on a $99 TCON flight — then there isn't even a big difference between F and Y.
Yeah, this doesn't sound terribly different from my VX run last year; at the time AS elites didn't get squat onboard besides priority boarding, so we were all in the back of the (Air)bus. Not as great a CPM return but not horrible.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:25 pm

They have a lot of seats they didn't fill with the dud of a Cyber Monday sale this year
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by jinglish
Yeah, this doesn't sound terribly different from my VX run last year; at the time AS elites didn't get squat onboard besides priority boarding, so we were all in the back of the (Air)bus. Not as great a CPM return but not horrible.
A couple anecdotes. Last week I flew SFO-BWI in 17D (exit row with empty middle seat) and then BWI-SFO in 2F (A320 both times). I felt much better after sitting in 17D than I did in 2F (albeit it was a shorter flight because of the winds). I just don't think the ex-VX F seats are comfortable seats.

In 2017 I was transitioning from UA to AS, and I didn't do the AS status match until October. I thus flew several trips in the rear half of the aircraft, after never touching a non-E+ or F seat for many years (save one or two IRROPS). I thought it would be terrible. It was...fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.