Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Short for Elite Qualification by XXX Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short for Elite Qualification by XXX Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

please record that conversation and post it here.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
please record that conversation and post it here.
That would be funny.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Wife was short about 300 miles or so towards MVP requal. Never got a buy up offer. Called in to ask, and agent bumped her up on the spot.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:18 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Morning All - based on current travel it's looking like I'll fall 144 miles short of re-qualifying for MVP Gold 75 (89,856 of AS + Partner EQMs).

Any guidance from the pros of what AS has done in the past for flyers in a similar position? Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Morning All - based on current travel it's looking like I'll fall 144 miles short of re-qualifying for MVP Gold 75 (89,856 of AS + Partner EQMs).

Any guidance from the pros of what AS has done in the past for flyers in a similar position? Thanks!
I'd just fly the one more leg instead of asking for special dispensation. Either by an additional trip or adding a leg to an existing planned itinerary.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.

I meant to say: Not worth it. Too many 75K's already. Just suck it up and be a Gold next year.
williwaw likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

You will likely get an offer to buy the EQM. Read the fine print though as you don't necessarily qualify for all the 75K rewards. I think it is better to fly a short segment and be done with it.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:41 am

All good advice above. Another possibility is a challenge offer in the beginning of next year (note that the OP's status will only be Gold until completed).

I'd either suck up being Gold, fly/upfare the difference, or just call in after my last flight of the year (like in the back half of December), acknowledge being short, and ask if they'd kindly bump me up.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
So next year I'll be UA Platinum (earned with EQMs) and WN A-list + CP (earned with segments). I'm going to miss requalifying for MVP by about 4,000 miles, and don't really want to do a mileage run.

Any advice in terms of whether they are likely to do a status match, or if I'll have to suffer through being a plebeian with no status for my first 20k of Alaska BIS flying next year?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
So next year I'll be UA Platinum (earned with EQMs) and WN A-list + CP (earned with segments). I'm going to miss requalifying for MVP by about 4,000 miles, and don't really want to do a mileage run.

Any advice in terms of whether they are likely to do a status match, or if I'll have to suffer through being a plebeian with no status for my first 20k of Alaska BIS flying next year?
I suppose you can try, but "hey, if you wanted the status, you could have, you know, actually kept it" seems to be the logic they might use if someone is going to match immediately after losing status (and show the OTHER airlines they spent 2019 flying instead of AS as the justification for 2020 status matching). It also seems they're cracking down on the status match gravy train- it looks like they would match you to 75K based on UA PP/WN A-list+ CP and expect you to do 75K levels of flying (20,000 miles) for 3 months to keep it or you go back to nothing...
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
You will likely get an offer to buy the EQM. Read the fine print though as you don't necessarily qualify for all the 75K rewards. I think it is better to fly a short segment and be done with it.
Im also going to be short about 180 miles from 75k at year end, I’ve already done a mileage run, so hoping to avoid that. You’re suggesting if I call and ask to be bumped up I will not receive all the benefits? Can you elaborate on which benefits won’t be included?

Last edited by ASA_1; Nov 14, 2019 at 12:55 pm
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ASA_1
Im also going to be short about 180 miles from 75k at year end, I’ve already done a mileage run, so hoping to avoid that. You’re suggesting if I call and ask to be bumped up I will not receive all the benefits? Can you elaborate on which benefits won’t be included?
It's the buy up offers/status win back challenges than usually don't receive all of the benefits, specifically the 50K 75K RDM bonus. If they bump you up over the phone, you should be good.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by rustykettel
It's the buy up offers/status win back challenges than usually don't receive all of the benefits, specifically the 50K 75K RDM bonus. If they bump you up over the phone, you should be good.
However, I'd say that if you can call before those offers go out (usually I think in the last few days of the year, so maybe call right before xmas?), you may have a better chance finding an agent willing to help you out. If you call and you've received the offer, they're likely to encourage you to accept that instead.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
However, I'd say that if you can call before those offers go out (usually I think in the last few days of the year, so maybe call right before xmas?), you may have a better chance finding an agent willing to help you out. If you call and you've received the offer, they're likely to encourage you to accept that instead.
Just checked and found that last year I got the offer to buy miles for MVPG requalification on 11/29/18. And as others have suggested it contained the following wording:

"Members buying elite qualifying miles to achieve MVP Gold 75K status are not eligible for the 50,000 bonus miles awarded to those who earn MVP Gold 75K." Wouldn't affect me but might affect others here.

I'm currently 106 miles short of MVPG requal and expect to fly in December. If I don't I'll be looking for that offer. I'd rather save calling in for a time when I have no alternative --- just in case they like it to be a one time only assist.
be_rettSEA and williwaw like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:36 am

MVPG 75K - 545 miles short

My YTD is going to end up at 89,455 of the 90,000 required for getting to MVPG 75K using mostly partners.
Do you think if I call this is within their buffer?

It's hard to take a short haul as I'm on the east coast so it's a several hour commitment for a mileage run.

I guess I could do AA to Toronto but I'd rather not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.