Wiki Posts
Search

AS Award Travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Emerald; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold; Marriott Platinum
AS Award Travel

I am searching for award travel to Europe in June and July from PDX - I know its high season BUT and I pretty much only see Iceland Air, with the occasional BA sprinkled in with their outrageous taxes.. I never see Condor and never AA - am I missing something in my searching?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I tried looking for the same thing recently. When I was looking at mid-July PDX-LON availability, I could occasionally find midweek Alaska/AA flights in coach, however, all J/F award space was mixed cabin with the transatlantic segment always in coach.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AS doesn't control partner inventory. AS can't show you partner award inventory that doesn't exist. Here's a link to a multi-year discussion on the AA forum about this problem.

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion
jinglish likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Condor comes up pretty frequently at least in premium economy depending on the destination. AA is stingy as it is in low season

Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

I was looking for ANY european gateway but even Iceland often had mixed class but it was the leg from iceland to USA in economy
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by CDKing
Condor comes up pretty frequently at least in premium economy depending on the destination. AA is stingy as it is in low season

It is unfortunate that Condor "premium economy" is similar to Delta Comfort+, not true premium economy.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by lhiltz
I was looking for ANY european gateway but even Iceland often had mixed class but it was the leg from iceland to USA in economy
Have you tried looking for availability from the gateway cities only? You might be on your own to get to the gateway, but if you look at availability from SFO / LAX / SEA and so on, you might find a lot more without the domestic tags.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
^^^^
For DE in particular you'll get better results (I suspect) if you work with SEA and YVR.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Its been rough for me in my search. Looking for tickets back from CDG to PDX in July. Presently 45k OW on Iceland and with a $200 charge. So I am opting to wait for cash fares to change after the new year.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I see Condor in searches all the time - in PE. Are you looking for J? PDX is pretty barren on Condor J. SEA is better.

I see J a bit via SEA. Here's a couple of dates I pulled out of the hat:

PDX-SEA-KEF-FRA 6/12 Iceland Air

PDX-SEA-FRA 6/30, 7/5 Condor
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by williwaw
Its been rough for me in my search. Looking for tickets back from CDG to PDX in July. Presently 45k OW on Iceland and with a $200 charge. So I am opting to wait for cash fares to change after the new year.
hah funny. I'm @ CDG in late May and I've been investigating the same. Being stubborn/ambitious though and considering lots of different routing/gateways. My fallback will be getting over to FRA and taking DE to YVR.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

ok will play with SEA and see if better availability and also YVR, We have a PDX/FRA direct flight....
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by lhiltz
ok will play with SEA and see if better availability and also YVR, We have a PDX/FRA direct flight....
PDX does have a non-stop Condor flight to FRA but only one. SEA has the Condor flight plus a non-stop LH 747, so a lot more capacity from SEA (AS cannot book LH but others can).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

i am surprised at how expensive the Aer Lingus SEA flights are for the summer....$ flights
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
TATL peaks in summer. SEA/PDX peak in summer.

Replacing DL/AF/KL with Finnair, Condor, and Icelandair wasn't exactly an even trade for AS redemptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.