Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Upgrade eligibility if booking with American award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Gold

Hi. I am an MVP on Alaska and Gold on American. I understand that alaska upgrades on award tickets booked with alaska miles, but American does not. There is an alaska flight I want to book and saw that i could book with miles on the american airlines website. My question is: would i be eligible for an upgrade as MVP on Alaska?

thanks in advance.
c

Last edited by chewable; Dec 7, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
No, you would not. You can't pay for an upgrade (if U is available) on an award ticket either, the booking class is excluded.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
No, you would not. You can't pay for an upgrade (if U is available) on an award ticket either, the booking class is excluded.
Why do you say this? I believe OP is talking about elite complimentary upgrades, which do apply to award tickets. The interesting question is whether they apply to award tickets booked with AA miles. I just reported my "yes" experience here.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Why do you say this? I believe OP is talking about elite complimentary upgrades, which do apply to award tickets. The interesting question is whether they apply to award tickets booked with AA miles. I just reported my "yes" experience here.
Because that's the correct answer to his question. AS, by policy, will not upgrade an award ticket booked with American Airlines miles.

I'm glad you got lucky and yes, exceptions have been made in the past. Is it something one should expect? Nope.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Also, because AlaskaN Airlines and AlaskaN MVP don't even exist, it would be hard to get an upgrade. On Alaska, it sounds like YMMV, but official policy is no.
mroseman13 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:06 pm

Because that's the correct answer to his question. AS, by policy, will not upgrade an award ticket booked with American Airlines miles.

I'm glad you got lucky and yes, exceptions have been made in the past. Is it something one should expect? Nope.
Good to know. Can you point me to anywhere this policy is stated? I found no online discussion of this point other than the linked FT thread and this one.

What's the obstacle supposed to be -- is it against policy to put a MP# on an AAdvantage booking, or to get on the upgrade list after this is done?

Getting on the upgrade list seemed so automatic in my case as to be at least de facto policy. And the AS page on complimentary upgrades doesn't seem to exclude AAdvantage bookings. It says
your qualifying Mileage Plan number must be in the reservation, and flight miles must be credited to Mileage Plan
which was true in my case (of course there are no miles to be "credited" on any award ticket), and it lists qualifying fares including W.

For what it's worth, such AAdvantage award flights in W are AS marketed and operated and the only difference is the ticket stock. So it seems logical that no distinction is made by AS, at least in practice.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
No, it is not excluded. AAdvantage awards on economy-class AS flights book into W which is explicitly allowed.

There are lots of reports of MVP/G/75K members being able to add themselves to the upgrade list and getting the upgrade when booking AS flights with Avios, AAdvantage miles, and other partners' currencies.

EDIT: There's also no requirement that an AS flight be booked on 027 ticket stock to be upgrade eligible. It just needs to be marketed and operated by AS. The same goes for revenue flights.

If flying SEA-SFO-HND on AS+JL, you can get an upgrade as an AS Elite on the SEA-SFO flight if that flight carries an AS flight number (and sometimes even if it doesn't).
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:37 pm

Oh good grief. Call Mileage Plan and confirm for yourself. I'll wait right here.

I know what the policy is for AA awards on AS flights (which cannot be issued on 027 ticket stock, but that's irrelevant), they've confirmed it, and you can do the same.

As already noted, there are exceptions to every rule, yes it's happened before, there's another thread on it, but we're talking about AS official policy. It's that simple.

I've never redeemed a JL award, so can't speak to that. You can ask MP for confirmation of that policy when you call to confirm the AA one.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I can confirm an exception being made as well back in the Delta days. It's often up to the gate agent. But I'm pretty certain that if it's an AS flight number, regardless of ticket stock, you can put in your AS number and get upgraded.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by flyingislove
But I'm pretty certain that if it's an AS flight number, regardless of ticket stock, you can put in your AS number and get upgraded.
Can this be done online or would I have to reach out to reservations via phone or text?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Can this be done online or would I have to reach out to reservations via phone or text?
If you have the AS PNR, it can be done online. Otherwise additional communication to AS is required to find this out.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Oh good grief. Call Mileage Plan and confirm for yourself. I'll wait right here.

I know what the policy is for AA awards on AS flights (which cannot be issued on 027 ticket stock, but that's irrelevant), they've confirmed it, and you can do the same.

As already noted, there are exceptions to every rule, yes it's happened before, there's another thread on it, but we're talking about AS official policy. It's that simple.

I've never redeemed a JL award, so can't speak to that. You can ask MP for confirmation of that policy when you call to confirm the AA one.
I can confirm I've gotten upgrades on BA and AA awards on AS metal. YMMV I guess. I don't think AS has particular upgrade processor logic that goes "please exclude all non-027 tickets in W class from upgrades even if the customer has an AS MP number attached that indicates they can have an upgrade", considering that the upgrade processor works better in theory than in reality anyways- you can still snipe U at particular times after checkin, sometimes people get skipped, etc.

But yes, OP is not officially eligible for upgrades, regardless of the fact that practically there's a good chance an MVP on non-027 ticket stock will get an upgrade anyway if U space is available once it's their turn in the queue.

https://i.imgur.com/PDKEHHP.jpg
PABE and NoLaGent like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 6, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
I can't remember if I've gotten upgraded on an AA award ticket when flying AS, but certainly I've gotten elite benefits. I was on AA flying into PHX (and on an AA Award) and transferring to AS onwards to PDX. When I got to the Alaska gate, I had them put my AS number onto the ticket. I then realized I needed to re-check into the flight, which then moved me up to Group A boarding or whatever they call it now (as I was originally way down the list on my AA ticket). I also got elite benefits on the flight - free alcoholic beverage and chocolate bar. I probably should have done all of this way in advance in the hopes of an upgrade.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
For what it's worth, I'm currently waitlisted on a BA award, even though my AS FF # isn't even listed. Not sure how that happened, but I won't argue.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I can confirm I've gotten upgrades on BA and AA awards on AS metal. YMMV I guess. I don't think AS has particular upgrade processor logic that goes "please exclude all non-027 tickets in W class from upgrades even if the customer has an AS MP number attached that indicates they can have an upgrade", considering that the upgrade processor works better in theory than in reality anyways- you can still snipe U at particular times after checkin, sometimes people get skipped, etc.

But yes, OP is not officially eligible for upgrades, regardless of the fact that practically there's a good chance an MVP on non-027 ticket stock will get an upgrade anyway if U space is available once it's their turn in the queue.

https://i.imgur.com/PDKEHHP.jpg
1. To say the least. ;-)

2. As my co-worker (non-elite) did on a flight with me last week for $29 at check-in, leaving many on the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.