Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Stuck in a Hold, AS pilot takes passengers sight-seeing to Mt. Rainier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines

AS 401 from LAS to SEA Tuesday morning was apparently in such a long holding pattern due to the fog that the pilot asked air traffic control for permission to take the plane out on a longer loop to Mt. Rainier while they waited.

According to the article on KOMO it certainly seemed to have kept the passengers pre-occupied and gave them something more enteraining to do than sit around and grumble about the delay. Nice move by the pilot

Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Heh, cool! I wonder if ATC was thinking, "great, if we let him then everyone will want to!"
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
That’s a lot of ovals. 3hr 50 min total flight time (1.5 delay).
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
On my first trip to Seattle after I started dating my Seattle native now-wife, I was on a United flight in from Denver. We got stuck in a holding pattern in which we did three full loops around Rainier at 14,000 feet. Not bad! But hasn't happened to me in the 12 years since.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG
On a flight to Houston, our pilot made a slight diversion and we flew by Mt. Rainier sticking through the clouds.

Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Love it!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I’ve been on several FAI-ANC runs where we detoured for flightseeing over the top of Denali. The 737’s stay a little higher up, but back when the Q400’s were doing that route you were pretty much at summit level. It was almost unreal.
SpicyMorale likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Akck
On a flight to Houston, our pilot made a slight diversion and we flew by Mt. Rainier sticking through the clouds.
^ outstanding shot ... this belongs in the "Views from Above the Wing" thread
rustykettel and JacksonFlyer like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Chugach
I’ve been on several FAI-ANC runs where we detoured for flightseeing over the top of Denali. The 737’s stay a little higher up, but back when the Q400’s were doing that route you were pretty much at summit level. It was almost unreal.
^^^

Through a badly scratched Q window with not the greatest lighting. This picture doesn't really do justice to how it looked in person.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
^^^

Through a badly scratched Q window with not the greatest lighting. This picture doesn't really do justice to how it looked in person.

ashill, jinglish and rustykettel like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:09 am

Here’s a better shot of the actual summit of Denali.

Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:32 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Chugach
Earlier this year on an ANC-FAI flight, the captain announced that those on the right side of the plane would see Denali. I was surprised and confused, since when flying north it has always been on the left side of the plane. Then she said that those on the left would see Mt. Foraker. She also said we would be flying at 23,000 feet. Incredible view from both sides of the plane. Flightseeing at its best!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:12 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I was on an AS flight from SFO to SEA shortly after Mt. St. Helens blew up and the driver did a loop around the caldera. Amazing.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Great Stuff...thanks for sharing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.