Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The AS "Penalty Box" (Tarmac Holds) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The AS "Penalty Box" (Tarmac Holds) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Angry The AS "Penalty Box" (Tarmac Holds) Thread

Purpose: post here when you've pushed back and are waiting for a slot to take off, or a landing slot.

Just pushed back from PDX on AS751 for SEA. We taxied for a brief bit, and am now holding for "about 10 minutes" to take off.

Haven't had this occur too often, but it is becoming more of a norm.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Looks like we're not the only ones...
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Had about 40 mins of that at JFK about 3 weeks ago. We were told it could be as much as an hour...
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
I fly PDX to SEA regularly. I used to make a joke about that mainline trip always being pegged for ATC hold. No longer a joke, a good number of my flights are loaded on time and then delayed or when leaving SEA, just joining the line of other aircraft waiting to take off.
Idaho Territory likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Had that for SMF-SEA week of 9/29 on an OO flight. We were held for ~30 minutes. SEA is down a runway and it's bollixed up quite a bit. We had a go-round on LAX-SEA yesterday because we were going to be a bit too close to a DL plane.

Welcome to a popular airport that's been adding service and traffic pretty regularly for a decade. SEA served 31 million passengers in 2007, but now serves 46 million. Adding gates may help some, but it won't add runways. I wonder if AS is going to look at using PDX more for connecting traffic...
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Purpose: post here when you've pushed back and are waiting for a slot to take off, or a landing slot.
suggest we open the aperture to include waiting for a gate (esp when arriving early, esp at LAX and SEA)
be_rettSEA and rustykettel like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

Just pushed back from PDX on AS751 for SEA. We taxied for a brief bit, and am now holding for "about 10 minutes" to take off.

Really surprised you haven't had this occur more often. Perhaps it driven by where I usually fly, but I feel like it now happens more often than not.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:48 pm

I had one yesterday (QXE2482) where the time from push to takeoff (probably 30 mins), exceeded the airborne flight time (20min)
  • Pushed from C16
  • Alpha, Left Charlie, cross 16L (closed),
  • wait to cross 16C (probably 4 takeoffs, 5-6 mins)
  • Left Tango (about 2 miles now taxiing the entire length of the runway) to
  • Hold at Tango/Quebec intersection for 2 aircraft in front of us, and 4 on Quebec taking off on 34C
  • Takeoff 34C
If you want to see an airport diagram to see what I'm talking about: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1810/00582AD.PDF
Nurse Traveler likes this.

Last edited by CZBB; Oct 10, 2018 at 2:55 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Had that for SMF-SEA week of 9/29 on an OO flight. We were held for ~30 minutes. SEA is down a runway and it's bollixed up quite a bit. We had a go-round on LAX-SEA yesterday because we were going to be a bit too close to a DL plane.

Welcome to a popular airport that's been adding service and traffic pretty regularly for a decade. SEA served 31 million passengers in 2007, but now serves 46 million. Adding gates may help some, but it won't add runways. I wonder if AS is going to look at using PDX more for connecting traffic...
Normally fine with 3 runways, that's enough capacity, however runway 16L/34R (the longest one, closest to the terminal) is currently closed, and it's closed until Dec 10

Relevant NOTAM ISEA 09/339
!SEA 09/339 SEA RWY 16L/34R CLSD EXC TAX BTN TWY N AND TWY C 1809290956-1812102359

Also Bravo, the main taxiway in front of the B/C gates is also closed from roughly in front of the mid terminal area to roughly in front of the cargo ramps, so that taxiing from C/D/N for takeoff to the north involves routing to the far end of the airport and taxiing all the way back

!SEA 09/337 SEA TWY B BTN TWY N AND TWY H CLSD 1809290927-1812102359
Nurse Traveler likes this.

Last edited by CZBB; Oct 10, 2018 at 2:55 pm Reason: Fix formatting
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Had a slight delay in departure of AS 3 (DCA-SEA) last month thanks to SEA congestion. I don't remember us coming in terribly late, but it was enough extra time on the ground that those of us in F were actually offered a PDB (even if it was just our choice of wine).
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
suggest we open the aperture to include waiting for a gate (esp when arriving early, esp at LAX and SEA)
May we add SFO to the mix as i think this is probably the most delay prone airport in AS's system.....i cant tell you how many times im waiting at SFO for a gate or extended taxi time waiting for slots east or to LAX.....
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond

10 minutes????? thats the minimum time we wait outta SFO! hahaha! ;-) When block times are 1h40m between LAX and SFO....you spend almost as much time on the ground as you do in the air!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
OAK-SEA landed 15ish minutes early at 8:50pm. Currently in the penalty box waiting for a gate.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
AS doesn't pull much weight these days IMHO. I was pretty surprised at LAX who AS was paired with....bunch of airlines I never new existed.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by missamo80
OAK-SEA landed 15ish minutes early at 8:50pm. Currently in the penalty box waiting for a gate.
that’s what I’m talking about :/

** can some tech-savvy FTer maybe create a wiki at the top of this thread? **

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
AS doesn't pull much weight these days IMHO. I was pretty surprised at LAX who AS was paired with....bunch of airlines I never new existed.
how does this relate to “Penalty Box”???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.