Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-LAX "Business Class"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
JFK-LAX "Business Class"

I was poking through some search results tonight for an east coast trip and noticed that under the "first class" column on a NYC-LAX search, the JFK-LAX flights have a seat symbol, and the EWR-LAX flights, don't.

All flights are 1xxx series flight numbers, Airbus equipment.

When I select first class on a JFK-LAX flight, it pops up with a warning that this is business class. When I add to cart, the flight is listed as business class ...

New branding?

Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Cursory searches have shown this applying to JFK-SFO/SJC also--even on the 737 AS JFK-SFO flight, AS 671.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AS
Interesting.... P fare is non-refundable First Class. Perhaps, AS is looking to market "Business class" sometime in the future? Checked seat map and shows "typical" pmVX seat map. The wording when clicking on seat icon is Itinerary in not entirely in First Class , it is a non-stop flight.....are they intending to put passenger in Premium ?? Or will they market Premium Coach as business class in the future , on long hauls?
Thinking they will provide some type of meal and drinks to Row 3.

Last edited by pcoll; Sep 17, 2018 at 11:51 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AS 100K
It would make sense for them to be rolling out a new soft product sometime soon and a new hard product in the next several years to compete with all other carriers on the premium transcon routes.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
It would make sense for them to be rolling out a new soft product sometime soon and a new hard product in the next several years to compete with all other carriers on the premium transcon routes.
Not this again...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Only AA and AS are offering F for these premium flights and obviously the AS product is not even comparable. If AS is not going to upgrade their product the least they can do is downgrade the class. Otherwise they can call it premium economy extra to truly set expectations compared to the competition.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Only AA and AS are offering F for these premium flights and obviously the AS product is not even comparable. If AS is not going to upgrade their product the least they can do is downgrade the class. Otherwise they can call it premium economy extra to truly set expectations compared to the competition.
And of course UA (via EWR) is also called First, but I agree with you. If JetBlue's Mint is considered Business, then PE on AS is actually reasonable.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
They've been very reluctant to do a subfleet; VX-style F doesn't work so great on notSFO/LAX-notJFK because it shrinks the plane's overall capacity by a fair amount (you're giving up 4-8 Y seats- AS is on the record as wanting to put more 739s on CA transcons, so they want to fly a LOT more seats to JFK) and as WN's success makes clear, there's real money in being able to make Y work well on ~2 hour flights or less. SFO/LAX-JFK is a very small portion of AS's route portfolio. Yeah, halos and everything, but still... presumably having a premium F product for SFO-LAS made gobs of money for VX, AS might have noticed it in the financials during the merger.

B6 makes Mint work outside of California, sort of, but they have an NYC airport as a hub (as do the other premium transcon contenders), and they DON'T run Mint on all their transcon routes even (for instance FLL-SEA). AS doesn't have an NYC hub, and likely never will unless they get absorbed by the Borg or merge with B6 (I don't see either as terribly likely anytime soon). They are likely ONLY drawing from CA as their base- VX didn't make their oddball routes out of JFK like FLL, LAS or PSP into major successes, it seems.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
But they are rolling out a new hard product soon - and it will be (arguably, as neither I nor you nor any revenue passenger has sat in one) the best domestic US non-premium seat out there, with the largest pitch, and footrests. If they are anything like the newer Aeromexico J seats on its 738s, they will be pretty decent.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
But they are rolling out a new hard product soon - and it will be (arguably, as neither I nor you nor any revenue passenger has sat in one) the best domestic US non-premium seat out there, with the largest pitch, and footrests. If they are anything like the newer Aeromexico J seats on its 738s, they will be pretty decent.
I have sat in one. Gave input on product.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pcoll
I have sat in one. Gave input on product.
And what was your input, you non-revenue seat sitter, you?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
And of course UA (via EWR) is also called First, but I agree with you. If JetBlue's Mint is considered Business, then PE on AS is actually reasonable.
Actually UA markets their “first class” product on that route as United Business so the AS product is the only one clearly out of step with the marketing of the competition.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And what was your input, you non-revenue seat sitter, you?
sorry for being vague....not sure I can disclose too much. Was part of group invited to evaluate “new” seats for AS. Also asked F & B manager to “up the game” in F offerings. Not sure that will happen anytime soon.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

Actually UA markets their “first class” product on that route as United Business so the AS product is the only one clearly out of step with the marketing of the competition.
Markets, sure, but displays as F for sale. Bait and switch, perhaps?

But back on topic, I think the new AS F seat will be a happy compromise between the old product on AS metal and the old product on VX metal.

Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by pcoll
Interesting.... P fare is non-refundable First Class......are they intending to put passenger in Premium ?? .
If you follow through like you are booking the seats offered are in rows 1 and 2. Whatever they call this P fare one hopes that the passenger still receives the 75% mileage bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.