Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

is the only reason to stay with Alaska the mile earning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is the only reason to stay with Alaska the mile earning?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I like it for the Mileage Redemptions. 140,000miles + $560 for 2 People to go BA FC from LHR to SEA. BA list price is $26,000.... .19 a mile redepmtion value. Just booked it this morning.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
With so many of the negative changes, I decided that I was going start shopping based on schedule and price instead of paying more for status.

However, I find myself continuing to book Alaska, whenever I’m able to use a companion fare. Since my husband and I have three of them between the two of us, these three yearly round trips will earn us most of the way to MVP. The question for me next year is whether it’s worth it to book an extra 6k miles or so of flying with Alaska to requalify for MVP. I’m honestly not sure yet if that is worth it.

Without those companion fares, I would likely fly Alaska much less.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretmd
With so many of the negative changes, I decided that I was going start shopping based on schedule and price instead of paying more for status.

However, I find myself continuing to book Alaska, whenever I’m able to use a companion fare. Since my husband and I have three of them between the two of us, these three yearly round trips will earn us most of the way to MVP. The question for me next year is whether it’s worth it to book an extra 6k miles or so of flying with Alaska to requalify for MVP. I’m honestly not sure yet if that is worth it.

Without those companion fares, I would likely fly Alaska much less.
I was looking at the schedules within California and Alaska seemed to be the best. 3 flights for SMF to SAN, which nobody else flew? Great!
But then I realized I had forgotten about Southwest. Which has 10. Alaska is trying to be competitive on the West Coast, but intra-California nobody is even close to Southwest.

If I flew Southwest more I could get the companion pass, and that would be basically unlimited companion fares (without the $99 fee). I dislike Southwest for long-distance flights, with the amount of stopovers though. And the lack of aspirational awards.

The problem is if searching based on schedule and price on an OTA (or ITAmatrix) you don't see Southwest results.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by missydarlin
You get one free change or can cancel and refund, within 24 hours.
The OP states that they had already taken advantage of the free change, which would negate the ability to then cancel and rebook with without penalty.
Then they attempted to make a second change and were charged the change fee for their non-Gold companion.
So, basically, cancel and rebook inside of 24 hours instead of making any changes.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:42 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by ou81two
So, basically, cancel and rebook inside of 24 hours instead of making any changes.
The OP was traveling on a companion fare, which makes that more difficult. Otherwise, yes.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVP HHonors Gold DL MS
I believe Delta allows changes within 24 hours at no charge
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
As a new AS flyer (and multi-year UA 1K) I am still blown away that AS waives change fees for Gold and 75K. By contrast, UA consistently gets around $2k in change fees from me every year. And I just paid $450 to change an AF ticket.

If you're complaining in any way, shape, or form about the scope or application of the AS fee waiver, you need a serious reality check.
Totally agree. I'm a 75MVP Gold on AS having switched from UA a few years ago. The tipping point for me was when UA changed their program so that to make 1K you not only had to fly 100K miles but also spend $12 (and just changed to $15K). So after 3MM with UA it was aloha for me.

And, yes, I've had to change flights on AS with a companion and paid $150 but my change was free. Never happened with UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.