Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Schedule and equipment change... my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever

I bought a flight LAX-SEA in paid F for my son and I in November. I specifically picked the Embrauer as we like the space of the 1-2 seating in F. It was odd but today, roughly a week after buying them, i got a notice that there was a schedule change. But its more than that, we’re on a 737 now although only about 20 minute time change. The Embrauer is gone from the schedule that day, very odd. At this point i would like a refund as i dont value F in the 737 at the fare we paid and I’d like to get my money back and explore other options. Any experience with AS on such changes? Will they give me a refund?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Operating carrier change should be sufficient for refund, its no different than them switching you from Alaska to American. Though usually people want the money back for swaps the other way around line Alaska to Alaska Horizon
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Any change of operating carrier qualifies one for a refund to original form of payment by DOT rules.
CDKing and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Go for the gold and ask them to switch you to Paid F on a PMVX Airbus Series (if on the route) which arguably is nicer than any option on the route on any carrier.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CDKing
Though usually people want the money back for swaps the other way around line Alaska to Alaska Horizon
Typically, yes, but I don't think this is unusual. The EMB is a comfortable plane, the SkyWest crews are often more attentive than mainline, the only thing you're missing in F is what, glassware? I prefer the EMB-175 over a 737 on AS, AA and UA.

I've had some pretty entertaining conversations with UA reps on changes where I've referred to a swap from EMB-175 to 737 as an "equipment downgrade". I suspect with the pride AS employees have for the company, you may encounter something similar if you used that terminology with a long-time AS agent.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by stephem
I bought a flight LAX-SEA in paid F for my son and I in November. I specifically picked the Embrauer as we like the space of the 1-2 seating in F. It was odd but today, roughly a week after buying them, i got a notice that there was a schedule change. But its more than that, we’re on a 737 now although only about 20 minute time change. The Embrauer is gone from the schedule that day, very odd. At this point i would like a refund as i dont value F in the 737 at the fare we paid and I’d like to get my money back and explore other options. Any experience with AS on such changes? Will they give me a refund?
It should be possible to get a refund, but what other options are you considering for a nonstop from SEA-LAX that would get you on a E175?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by mvoight
It should be possible to get a refund, but what other options are you considering for a nonstop from SEA-LAX that would get you on a E175?
American is all E175s on that route, although they fly out of the remote Eagle terminal at LAX.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
The Embrauer is gone from the schedule that day, very odd.
Odd? Frankly, I find it a bit odd that AS would have an E175 scheduled on this route in the first place.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Cruss74
Odd? Frankly, I find it a bit odd that AS would have an E175 scheduled on this route in the first place.
It is a highly desireable plane because of the 2-1 in F and 2-2 in Y. Operating costs relatively low and thus PRASM high. Why is that odd?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It is a highly desireable plane because of the 2-1 in F and 2-2 in Y. Operating costs relatively low and thus PRASM high. Why is that odd?
We are talking about SEA-LAX here, one of Alaska's busiest routes. Looking at today's schedule, there are 16 flights from SEA to LAX, and only one of them is an E175. The rest are all 737/A320. Just seems odd to use a 76-passenger jet on a route like that. I actually didn't realize that AS had any E175's on SEA-LAX until reading this thread.
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
We are talking about SEA-LAX here, one of Alaska's busiest routes. Looking at today's schedule, there are 16 flights from SEA to LAX, and only one of them is an E175. The rest are all 737/A320. Just seems odd to use a 76-passenger jet on a route like that. I actually didn't realize that AS had any E175's on SEA-LAX until reading this thread.
Some are starting to show up on SEA-SFO as well this fall.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

For my date, The E175 was on the schedule for roughly The same time as the 737 we have been moved to. My guess is that it was an extra rotation for the Thanksgiving holiday but wasn’t actually filling up and so they took it off the schedule and moved us.
In either F or E+ it is an amazingly comfortable ride for these 2.5 hour flights.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

I wound up holding on to this reservation for quite some time and waiting for American airlines to open some award space on their E175 flights, as their cash prices were ridiculously expensive. In the end it worked out well, Alaska was happy to refund our purchase and I was able to get seats on the American flight two days later and extend our holiday in the sun a bit.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I must be missing something. I like the E jet a lot but the difference in F is pretty insignificant, certainly not enough to switch airlines.
brettsir and ashill like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
The E75 flight is a positioning flight of sorts. It also flies LAX-SJC or LAX-STS then back to Seattle. If the plane has to fly from the crew base to a major metropolitan airport, why not sell the seats and get some money as opposed to flying an empty plane every day or establishing LAX as a QX layover city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.