Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Does AS Have a Bag Drop at LAX's TBIT? (No.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

I'm returning to the US landing in TBIT today and have a domestic AS flight on a separate ticket. I've checked a bag (sigh .. long trip) and have global entry so hopefully will be able to get through TBIT immigration/customs fairly quickly.

But ... does AS still have a bag drop location in TBIT or do I need to head over to Terminal 6? Unfortunately, my international flight is delayed by quite a bit so I'm a bit tight on time. Once I drop the bag, I'm comfortable on where I need to go.

Thanks to all!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
There’s no agent at TBIT to check your bag.

But if your first operating airline is willing to check it through to your destination (add the AS flight to the bag tag), you can drop it on the conveyor belt right after customs.
C17PSGR and brettsir like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by sturges
There’s no agent at TBIT to check your bag.

But if your first operating airline is willing to check it through to your destination (add the AS flight to the bag tag), you can drop it on the conveyor belt right after customs.
Thanks!

It had separate tickets so no such luck ... headed over to T6 to check the bag.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Thanks!

It had separate tickets so no such luck ... headed over to T6 to check the bag.
When AS still served HAV, this was the same case. The agents could only check to LAX. Then one had to haul bags to T-6. yay.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by beckoa
When AS still served HAV, this was the same case. The agents could only check to LAX. Then one had to haul bags to T-6. yay.
That's odd. I've had an odd TBIT arrival on AS here and there - most recently on MEX-LAX. And my bags were checked all the way through to PUW. But that was a few years ago, so AS ground ops at LAX could have changed.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sturges
That's odd. I've had an odd TBIT arrival on AS here and there - most recently on MEX-LAX. And my bags were checked all the way through to PUW. But that was a few years ago, so AS ground ops at LAX could have changed.
Agents in HAV had very basic access to AS' systems. It seemed like read only. No upgrades, paid luggage, etc. (2 bags free going home for everyone). So far this is the only place I've run into this on AS' network. Made things interesting later...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
That was unique to HAV. AS will check INTL-LAX-XXX no problem, and you can drop the bag after claiming it in TBIT (if that's where you go). Typically AS dumps you in T6.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
That was unique to HAV. AS will check INTL-LAX-XXX no problem, and you can drop the bag after claiming it in TBIT (if that's where you go). Typically AS dumps you in T6.
Indeed they will. I flew INTL-LAX-XXX-INTL Bags were checked to third country. I requested a short check to XXX because we had an overnight layover. A few keyboard clicks and out came the bag tags destined to XXX. Furthermore, I had bags checked from San Jose Costa Rica to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. The bags flew SJO-LAX-SEA-SFO-PVR.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.