Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Competitive Price Guarantee (After 24 Hours) Ending 9/1/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Competitive Price Guarantee (After 24 Hours) Ending 9/1/2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ashill
Wow. AS is obviously to the point where they think they're big enough to not need to have customer-friendly policies to set themselves apart from the big three (or keep up with WN). Pretty striking.

One of the things that has long struck me about AS is that their customer service -- broadly defined to include both a fair fee structure and actual interactions with AS in person, over the phone, and through the web -- for no-status customers was at least as good as AA's or DL's for mid-tier elites (ie MVP Gold equivalent).

Pure speculation alert: this leads me to wonder ....
PLEASE edit your post to delete that last point before anyone from AS gets any ideas
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
MVPG just became much more valuable... but now if a price drops, you have to cancel your existing ticket and book a new one... so what you could previously do, you can effectively still do... just with more time commitment.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
It also makes me wonder how long the $125 change fee will last before they up it to $200 like all the others. For a MVP or non-elite, the lower change fee is about all that sets them apart from the other three now. For the vast majority of travelers that are MVP or lower, there's really no incentive at all to being loyal anymore. Schedule and price will rule the day. Where routes overlap, WN is a no-brainer.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jrl767
PLEASE edit your post to delete that last point before anyone from AS gets any ideas

Sadly, I'm pretty sure that has occurred to AS.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
MVPG just became much more valuable... but now if a price drops, you have to cancel your existing ticket and book a new one... so what you could previously do, you can effectively still do... just with more time commitment.
Or call them and have it done over the phone, which would probably keep your seat assignments.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, M Life Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Caesars Diamond, IHG Plat
hmmm now its a matter of time Alaska switches to revenue base mileage plan. My biggest 3 reasons why I chose to stay loyal with Alaska, 60 day no change fee, guaranteed lowest flight, and miles base reward system.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by plzkthx
hmmm now its a matter of time Alaska switches to revenue base mileage plan. My biggest 3 reasons why I chose to stay loyal with Alaska, 60 day no change fee, guaranteed lowest flight, and miles base reward system.
I think they are still planning on continuing mileage-based accrual, at least for now. I received an “insight community” survey a month or so ago that was trying to find the best way to market it as a differentiator compared to other airlines.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by czpdx
It also makes me wonder how long the $125 change fee will last before they up it to $200 like all the others. For a MVP or non-elite, the lower change fee is about all that sets them apart from the other three now. For the vast majority of travelers that are MVP or lower, there's really no incentive at all to being loyal anymore. Schedule and price will rule the day. Where routes overlap, WN is a no-brainer.
Yeah, and when they raised the change fee from $75 to $125 in 2013, they also introduced the $0 fee for changes outside 60 days. I'm shocked (shocked!) that they didn't return to the $75 change fee when they eliminated the 60 day change fee waiver.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bretmd
I think they are still planning on continuing mileage-based accrual, at least for now. I received an “insight community” survey a month or so ago that was trying to find the best way to market it as a differentiator compared to other airlines.
American kept marketing their mileage-based program until almost the day they eliminated it, following their "integrate then innovate" spin mantra. So yes, as long as Alaska has a mileage-based program, I'm sure they'll market it. But I don't think that says anything about whether they plan to keep it.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by plzkthx
I really hope AS doesn't touch MP. It's the only thing is really has going and the only thing that keeps most people flying AS. I do get nervous partner earning/redeeming devals like EK/LA tec but so far, they havent been enough where it's making me look elsewhere.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
They haven't updated the official T&C yet:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...erms-alaskaair
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Calculon
Or call them and have it done over the phone, which would probably keep your seat assignments.
Not sure if a $10-$20 price drop guarantee is worth the hassle especially if you effectively lose a complimentary upgrade because of it.

Personally, I have never claimed a low price guarantee. Once I am happy with an itinerary and confirm a reservation I don't go back and check pricing. Typically, I purchase eligible fares, utilize a companion certificate and apply GGU's.

James
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Makes keeping Gold very valuable. Keep knocking things off and eventually it will be far more efifcient to just switch back to Delta. More partners, better routing, more options. Mileage based and Customer Service are the only remaining items left.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:19 pm

The guaranteed airfare credit (and a direct SEA-IND) was the main thing that pushed me from UA this year. Luckily I was able to hit MVPG w/ Amazon's 20k EQM challenge, so I still effectively have it, but this move is a big downer.

Gonna try to plan an Australia or Africa trip to use my ~120k miles before a deval, but not particularly motivated to start building up another balance after that :/
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Ugh. That's not good news. Just spent a few minutes this morning claiming $75 worth of fare drop credits.
You're a Gold, you should still be covered via the change fee waiver.

Originally Posted by JPat
Argh....so, as a MVPGold I would have to cancel my existing Rez, redeposit the returned value into My Acct & than buy the lower priced ticket. This makes the Gold designation more valuable but everyone else sees Alaska’s vaunted Customer Service getting sacrificed on the altar of shareholder returns....
Or if you have a cert on it and can't refund it, you can change your flight to a bogus one, then change back to the one you were originally on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.