Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Baggage and Change Fee changes 10/30/2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG

Just saw this on Alaskaair.com, effective October 30th:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/optional-services-fees/fee-changes.aspx?INT=AS_HOME3-1_||EG_FEECHANGE||

Baggage fees for the third bag will now be $75.

Here is the most interesting change:
Effective For Tickets Purchased On or After October 30, 2013: The fee to change or cancel a ticket will increase to $125, per person, per change. Unlimited changes will be allowed for no change fee up until 60 days prior to ticketed flight departure.
$50 increase, but free changes more than 60 days out is fantastic ^
MVPG change fees remain free. I am wondering if the no change fee for intra-Alaska flights is going away.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
My initial reaction is kudos to Alaska for not just going along with the trends, and instead going with what I think is a pretty sensible policy on change fees.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:36 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Very interesting. This is actually a reduction in fees where it makes sense. Very glad to see this from AS. And compared to $200 change fees from all other domestics, this is still a positive competitive difference.

Also glad to see the MVPG fee waiver will be sticking around for the foreseeable future.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
I guess the $25 discount for online changes is going away?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Well this is sad to see. AS was very flexible with its lower change fee. A $50 increase is

Moreover I'm very concerned about the baggage. I was hoping with a move like this, AS would at least match what other carriers provide its elites, 2 bags at 70 lbs for DL, and 3 bags IIRC for UA elites (upper tiers). And more than tripling the third bag fee...

If an Elite is also Club 49, which table is consulted?

Overall disturbed by these potential changes.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by beckoa
If an Elite is also Club 49, which table is consulted?
Elite benefits trump club 49 benefits. However, the only difference is that elites get 2 free bags on all routes, club 49 only on flights that include AK.

Agreed...AS should do something to recognize elites. My #1 (and what I like most about DL) is priority baggage.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Another thought. AS is forcing AS elites to buy tickets on DL. If Delta issues the ticket, as an MVPG or higher we get 2 bags at 70 lbs. Not so if AS issues this ticket. And if upgraded to F? Its 3 bags at 70 lbs. Hence my most recent flight was on DL for SEA-ANC, as I wanted the higher baggage allotment.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Elite benefits trump club 49 benefits. However, the only difference is that elites get 2 free bags on all routes, club 49 only on flights that include AK.
Club 49 line in table indicates 4+ bags are $50 each
AS Elite line in table indicates 4+ bags are $75 each

Not that I plan on checking 4+ bags, but that's where I'm confused.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:26 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Another thought. AS is forcing AS elites to buy tickets on DL. If Delta issues the ticket, as an MVPG or higher we get 2 bags at 70 lbs. Not so if AS issues this ticket. And if upgraded to F? Its 3 bags at 70 lbs. Hence my most recent flight was on DL for SEA-ANC, as I wanted the higher baggage allotment.
It seems to me that the number of Elites who need to carry around more than 100 lbs of luggage on a regular basis is pretty slim.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:29 am

not anymore
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
It seems to me that the number of Elites who need to carry around more than 100 lbs of luggage on a regular basis is pretty slim.
Well when importing goods from the lower 49... including a certain glass vessel it adds up fast. My mini trips to the states are half fun and half shopping.

If there's not a lot elites trying to haul this much stuff, it shouldn't cost AS that much to become competitive with UA and DL again. And yes, I've paid the $20 fee for a third bag before, which was reasonable. $75 not so much.

Either I'd like a higher baggage weight allotment to offset this change, or have a 3rd piece of luggage checked free. Even if just offered as part of Club 49 I think this would be ok, as its folks in the State of Alaska who seem to transport lots of goods to & from the State. AS' opportunity cost to provide this would be pretty slim and restore some good will to its elites.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
AS Elite line in table indicates 4+ bags are $75 each

Not that I plan on checking 4+ bags, but that's where I'm confused.
I hadn't noticed that. It seems strange that bag #3 is more expensive than #4. Very strange.

While I totally agree...there are times that this may be handy, and the industry standard seems to say elites should get more free baggage than non-elites. That said, if I had one wish with regard to baggage, it would be an effective priority baggage program - love that about flying DL.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Looks like both AS and FL (almost) doubled the change fee. Although no change fee prior to 60 days before departure is a nice compromise. Unlike the other carriers at least advance notice was given.

I think WN should follow AS and add a change fee for changes made within 2 months from departure for WGA fares
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE

While I totally agree...there are times that this may be handy, and the industry standard seems to say elites should get more free baggage than non-elites. That said, if I had one wish with regard to baggage, it would be an effective priority baggage program - love that about flying DL.
Industry standard also says elites should get charged change fees on revenue tickets.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Industry standard also says elites should get charged change fees on revenue tickets.
Id rather pay a bag fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.