Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gay couple forced to move plane seats to make way for straight couple to sit together

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay couple forced to move plane seats to make way for straight couple to sit together

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Hey AS made a mistake that would anger most of us. Most of us would move if asked and then grump about it, maybe write Alaska Listens and get 1,000 Miles or something.

This guy knows how to play the system, he posted it and made it an anti-gay thing and I am sure was handsomely rewarded by AS.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
There’s a lot of speculation in this thread from a lack of evidence and a whole lot of questionable second-hand sources.

Alaska Airlines has been a pro-LGBT company and I have full faith that it continues to be.

I’m not going to speculate whether this case was discrimination or not because I don’t have enough facts to do so. I’m also not going to take the specifics events and generalize it to the actions of a larger group, such as all LGBT people. As a gay man, I always appreciate it when a) I’m not lumped into the specific actions of one person and b) those actions aren’t used as a springboard for more widespread anti-LGBT sentiment.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I'm really beginning to think we'll never know the whole story. There has to be some culpability on Alaska's part, as the pax is claiming on social media that AS has apologized to him. If it were a cut and dry case of seat poaching, I think they'd present those facts, but they're not and they've already confirmed the dupe seating error in their previous statement.

Here's the pax's statement which can be viewed on his public Facebook post.:

"Thank you to everyone for all the support. Alaska Airlines has reached out, apologized, and we are discussing making things right. I accept Alaska’s apology and appreciate it addressing the situation."
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
As you know, from having recently flown AS First Class, there's not much more than a grain of salt to take it with, even if we wanted to take it with more.
<slow clap>
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Forget the gay part. NOBODY SHOULD BE FORCED TO MOVE TO SEAT A COUPLE!!! Let alone a premium seat.
Darn tootin’ - I see this stuff way more on AS than any other carrier. Their IT systems must be held together with twine, baling wire, and chewing gum.

He who sits first sits longest. 😁
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
He who sits first sits longest. 😁
Nobody in first is obligated to board first!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
AS has failed “Media Management 101”. Its front and centre in the Sydney media this morning:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...02-p4zuzi.html
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Alaska / Hilton / Amtrak / Avis
Originally Posted by og
AS has failed “Media Management 101”. Its front and centre in the Sydney media this morning:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...02-p4zuzi.html
Have to agree. Their statement didn't make much sense, as it does nothing to explain the wide gulf between its assertion it was a "seating error" and the pax' that it was discrimination. The least they could have done is added some context about what happened, what their policies are, what did or didn't happen (and how policies were and weren't followed). It doesn't give anyone any idea of how to respond to the matter, or to even see that Alaska is addressing it in any substantive way.

I also have to say the certainty of reactions on this board is pretty gross. We don't know if it was a case of explicit discrimination by the FA, a case of implicit bias (i.e., two men can't be a "family"), a seating software mixup, or a botched and unticketed"self-upgrade." You'd think people on this board were in the row behind this as it unfolded, though.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
no, but many of us have been flying Alaska since before the 737-700s arrived.... with many friends and contacts beyond.

And those who have flown Alaska more than once a year will also know that Alaska flight attendants never, ever, touch seating arrangements.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:18 pm

I have no idea what happened but I think Alaska is handling this poorly. They are getting a lot of bad press and if there is more to the story, they are not telling it. The tweet says they have supported equality but it doesn't address the issue or what happened. Employees of companies with good track records on equality can behave in a biased way. The Starbucks employee who called the police on the black man over the bathroom issue comes to mind and Starbucks was very proactive in saying they needed to train employees better.

There are hundreds of comments on their twitter statement and most of them are negative. A few are supporting AS with a few homophobic comments thrown in too. Reading all those comments and some of the comments on here, it really strikes me how quickly so many people are to latch onto whatever scenario fits their prior bias. They can't all be true and it does matter what actually happened but we are living in the fake news world now I guess. It seems like what side you are on matters more than facts.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wwongo
I have no idea what happened but I think Alaska is handling this poorly. They are getting a lot of bad press and if there is more to the story, they are not telling it. The tweet says they have supported equality but it doesn't address the issue or what happened. Employees of companies with good track records on equality can behave in a biased way. The Starbucks employee who called the police on the black man over the bathroom issue comes to mind and Starbucks was very proactive in saying they needed to train employees better.

There are hundreds of comments on their twitter statement and most of them are negative. A few are supporting AS with a few homophobic comments thrown in too. Reading all those comments and some of the comments on here, it really strikes me how quickly so many people are to latch onto whatever scenario fits their prior bias. They can't all be true and it does matter what actually happened but we are living in the fake news world now I guess. It seems like what side you are on matters more than facts.
If the customers are at fault, they really should be thrown under the bus by Alaska - an attempt at free publicity and attention-grabbing for someone's sleezy bar under these conditions by those people should not go unanswered. If Alaska was at fault, then let's hear about it, clear the air, get the apology over and done with and move on. It's a seating issue, it's not like they were dragged off the flight by their ankles.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:58 pm

If the allegedly harmed party is wrongly playing the gay discrimination card, what's AAG to do? It puts them in a pretty tough position if they want to expose the fraud. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
ashill and pbelmore like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by flytoeat
If the allegedly harmed party is wrongly playing the gay discrimination card, what's AAG to do? It puts them in a pretty tough position if they want to expose the fraud. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
I don't see how they would be damned if they expose it - in fact, it's an opportunity to re-establish their cultural position as a LGBT corporate leader by calling out a customer who is leveraging an important movement to gain personal publicity, and to make a statement about the importance of their commitment to LGBT causes which should not be treated in such a trivial, childish way.

While we still don't have all of the facts, I am taking the position that I smell a rat, and if it's rat we have, then the world should see it.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't see how they would be damned if they expose it - in fact, it's an opportunity to re-establish their cultural position as a LGBT corporate leader by calling out a customer who is leveraging an important movement to gain personal publicity, and to make a statement about the importance of their commitment to LGBT causes which should not be treated in such a trivial, childish way.

While we still don't have all of the facts, I am taking the position that I smell a rat, and if it's rat we have, then the world should see it.
If this claim is specious, I absolutely agree they should expose it, but whether they would take the risk is the question. Unless they can clearly articulate the fraud, it would be a public relations nightmare. And that stinks.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by flytoeat
If this claim is specious, I absolutely agree they should expose it, but whether they would take the risk is the question. Unless they can clearly articulate the fraud, it would be a public relations nightmare. And that stinks.
And I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it boils down. I'd bet that anyone involved in Crisis Communications would agree that they're following the playbook here, regardless of what the actual real story is.

If they'd been subject to homophobic slurs while being handcuffed and forcibly removed by the Cops, we'd have a different case on our hands, but this story will have a relatively short shelf life.
pbelmore likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.