FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gay couple forced to move plane seats to make way for straight couple to sit together
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:28 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wwongo
I have no idea what happened but I think Alaska is handling this poorly. They are getting a lot of bad press and if there is more to the story, they are not telling it. The tweet says they have supported equality but it doesn't address the issue or what happened. Employees of companies with good track records on equality can behave in a biased way. The Starbucks employee who called the police on the black man over the bathroom issue comes to mind and Starbucks was very proactive in saying they needed to train employees better.

There are hundreds of comments on their twitter statement and most of them are negative. A few are supporting AS with a few homophobic comments thrown in too. Reading all those comments and some of the comments on here, it really strikes me how quickly so many people are to latch onto whatever scenario fits their prior bias. They can't all be true and it does matter what actually happened but we are living in the fake news world now I guess. It seems like what side you are on matters more than facts.
If the customers are at fault, they really should be thrown under the bus by Alaska - an attempt at free publicity and attention-grabbing for someone's sleezy bar under these conditions by those people should not go unanswered. If Alaska was at fault, then let's hear about it, clear the air, get the apology over and done with and move on. It's a seating issue, it's not like they were dragged off the flight by their ankles.