Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gay couple forced to move plane seats to make way for straight couple to sit together

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay couple forced to move plane seats to make way for straight couple to sit together

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:08 am
Suspended

Forget the gay part. NOBODY SHOULD BE FORCED TO MOVE TO SEAT A COUPLE!!! Let alone a premium seat.
muji, pcoll, solewalker and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Forget the gay part. NOBODY SHOULD BE FORCED TO MOVE TO SEAT A COUPLE!!! Let alone a premium seat.
Well, I think that depends on the particulars of the case, to be honest.
ashill likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by IAmABirdNotAPlane
Not really. To faciliate a parent and a young kid to sit together maybe fine, but for a couple that's beyond annoying. I seen this on GA last month, but the crew didn't assist (the way to handle it) and no one wanted to move in 1/2/1 J (already all couples in the middle), so they had window throne seat one behind each other, of course the husband was ranting and raving his loud mouth about never flying GA again, terrible airlines etc.. etc..
BadgerBoi and Proudelitist like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
It’s true that Alaska has an excellent track record for openly and sincerely supporting LGBT causes. This doesn’t preclude individual employees from allowing implicit bias to influence decisions, even if those individuals are personally guided by pro-LGBT principals. These days, particularly in commercial/corporate settings, most discrimination is implicit, not explicit. That doesn’t make it less impactful.

In this instance, an IT error apparently caused two individuals to hold boarding passes for the same seat. If a human contemplated this error and made the instantaneous, subconscious determination that man/woman equals a couple and man/man does not, the human acted in an implicitly homophobic manor, even if he or she was, e.g., an openly gay gate agent who would never willfully discriminate. If the determination to reseat one of the gay men was based on more quantifiable factors (fare class, elite status, etc.) then Alaska should have made this abundantly clear to the inconvenienced passengers so as to preclude the reasonably-drawn conclusion that this decision may have been discriminatory in nature.

Even if you disregard all the above as spineless SJW hand-wringing, Alaska still should have learned from United’s notorious dragging incident last year that you do not, under any circumstances (unless you have an exceptionally serious reason), tell a seated passenger to move.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
And those in the LGBT community (myself included) can bear the brunt of such drama queen outbursts...because we are all the same apparently...
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:33 am

Same PNR?

Sorry I missed this detail. Were the gay couple on the same PNR? And would a FA know this? If yes to both I would be upset too.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, Skywards, Qantas
So in sum- being gay had nothing to with it.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Exactly what cairns said, this seems to have nothing to do with them being gay but they decided to use the gay card to prove a point. Not saying they weren't "wronged" by being double booked/asked to move but seems like their sexual orientation had nothing to do with it.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:53 am

ooooo
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by guest909; May 13, 2019 at 2:11 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAmABirdNotAPlane
It does? I am trying to rack my brain thinking of a situation where it would be okay to downgrade someone from premium seating to reunite a couple.

Even if one of the couple was handicapped and needed care...why not a regular coach seat?
Markie likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
So, the complainant tells people to support an "LGBT friendly airline like Delta." Oh, he of short memory, no doubt a prominent member of the community, so popular that people will wait in line outside for the opportunity to pay too much for a drink, no doubt, to be partially spilled, while packed in a sardine can (the bar, not the plane) ... he must not remember this: In early 1985, the airline amended its contract of carriage to exclude passengers with AIDS. It goes down in history as the most LGBT-friendly act in the history of US commercial aviation.
Markie, zoefish and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
Are AS F/As allowed to offer compensation for someone to go from Premium to non-Premium Coach? As a solo traveler I would have happily moved for 20k miles, grudgingly for 10k. Avoiding the delay with someone's baggage being offloaded, etc. would have gotten me to move for free if there were a pair of empty seats in the back, though.
Fat chance of that. AS once tried to offer me 2,000 miles as compensation for their screw-up involving me (a 75K at the time) being downgraded from 2A to 27B on LAX-DCA.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
I am open to be wrong, but this strikes me as a good old DYKWIA from the passengers. Will wait for the result of Alaska's internal investigation, but I would be very surprised if there were any foul play on the part of a cabin crew. From my own experience Alaska has always been one of the most LGBT friendly businesses - and I hope it stays this way despite random bashing from some of their gay punters.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
IMO, there was a seating error and the FA had to deal with it the best he/she could. No matter what the FA did, someone was going to be unhappy. I think the FA was in the worst spot out of everyone. Maybe the FA was rude, but from Mr. Cooley's comments, I'm betting he was no saint either.
luitje likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
AS Statement on the matter from Twitter just now:
luitje likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.