Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX early morning flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

PDX early morning flights

Has PDX really gotten so crowded for the early morning flights that 2 hours is needed to get through security and to the gate?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:25 pm

No. My alarm downtown goes off at 5 am for my weekly 6:30 flight and I've only once had a close call (addressed in the Complimentary Upgrade thread) and almost missed my flight.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
If you’re checking luggage, have no elite status, and don’t have PreCheck then two hours would be close to appropriate. AS check-in at PDX is woefully small for the size of the operation, and even as a 75K I’ve had to wait a bit for an agent to drop bags off with. But word to the wise, if you self-tag, they seem to be reasonably proactive about pulling you out of line and scanning your bags.

But whatever you do, don’t tell anybody that the security line at the D/E checkpoint is usually much shorter.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

No status at this point. No checked bags. Just a carry-on and maybe a laptop. Looking at an 8am weekday flight.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by skiflyer
No status at this point. No checked bags. Just a carry-on and maybe a laptop. Looking at an 8am weekday flight.
That's practically noon by PDX standards. The early morning rush at PDX is for the 5:00-7:00 flights.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Are you asking because you saw the airport recommend 2 hours? Or was that an experience? Carry on speeds your time, as long as you pack it right. Do you have pre-check? That's the other potential time saver. But I'd think at most you'd wait 30-45 to clear regular security. If one check point gets long they start diverting people to the other side.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by czpdx
That's practically noon by PDX standards. The early morning rush at PDX is for the 5:00-7:00 flights.
I flew at 5 this morning. I was third in line at precheck because the person who was first couldn't figure out she had the wrong boarding pass. There was nobody behind me, and no line in the regular lines. It couldn't have gotten shorter than that.

Leaving from Arnold Creek I woke up about 3:15 for my 5am flight and had plenty of time to stop for coffee at Stumptown. Getting up at 3:30 for a 5am flight seems reasonable to me. Getting to the airport 2 hours early doesn't.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pfpdx
Are you asking because you saw the airport recommend 2 hours?
Exactly!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
There is the construction project for the next 8 weeks or so. I am using EUG to avoid any issues but I am also coming from Salem.

https://www.koin.com/news/local/mult...you/1287192132
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
There is the construction project for the next 8 weeks or so. I am using EUG to avoid any issues but I am also coming from Salem.

I've had a couple of lyfts over the past month or so take extended surface street routes to/from PDX due to construction. Early morning and late at night it doesn't really impact the travel time much, just the route. During daytime traffic it probably has a bigger impact.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Idaho Territory

Ohhhh..... FLUCK!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Today, I-205 and I-5 were parking lots due to ramp closures. I am sure some folks missed their flights. I have Pre-check and can zip on through TSA usually at any time when I am flying out of PDX. However, as mentioned previously, if the line looks long, go to the D/E gate TSA, they are seemingly always faster. Then you can take a nice stroll back to the A/B/C gates on the connecting corridor.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Then you can take a nice stroll back to the A/B/C gates on the connecting corridor.
And use your PP benefits at the Capers Market before you do!
pfpdx likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
So how does Friday afternoon look?

We have a 6 or so hour layover and we planned on driving around... sounds like this might not be advised now...
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
So how does Friday afternoon look?

We have a 6 or so hour layover and we planned on driving around... sounds like this might not be advised now...
You're renting a car for a few hours? Just hop on the MAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.