Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does the App actually work for ANYTHING?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Perhaps I'm missing something, but if a "Your flight XXX to YYY is boarding from gate XX" notification is on the lock screen of your phone, why do you need to see it in the app? Wouldn't it be the same thing, just with one or two additional screens to navigate through?

Do you have previews when unlocked turned on?

No. Horizontal stab. That seat's a drag.
FIRST, if you're on the horizontal stab, I'm pretty sure it's YOU that's the drag. I mean, they must lose at least fifty knots with you back there.
SECOND, yes, you're missing that my notifications on my lock screen contain NO TEXT, other than the word "notification."
I haven't disabled them in my settings, either.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use the app all the time, checking flights, checking upgrades, checking in for flights (with a checked bag). As for notifications, the notification tells me all I need to know, gate change, boarding, etc. Never felt the need to tap on the notification to go into the app for info, it is all there in the notification. Wish the app did more though, more like the web site.
osotoc and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by radtechtraveler
i get the same issues on my andoird phone. "Your flight to PDX is now..." open the app to no updated info

that sounds like the "now boarding" notification .. I see it on my iPhone. You are right, there's no corresponding entry in the app to read. The notification is the data. I think in android you can expand the notifications to see the rest of the text, can't you?

-David
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Legend717
notifications on my lock screen contain NO TEXT, other than the word "notification."
I haven't disabled them in my settings, either.
Do double-check your iPhone's general notification settings again, and ensure your "Show Previews" is set to always or when unlocked, or you'll just see you have something from Alaska, but not see what they are. And be sure that Alaska's notification settings are allowed, and set to show on lock screen/history/banners. You can even customize your preview settings here. If this still doesn't help, I'd contact AS via Twitter and let them know the issue you're having (try to screenshot a notification if you can) and send them the details on phone you're using iOS version, and a summary of the issue. I've seen them fix Apple Watch problems after submitting an issue like this, even though it took a few months.

I do agree it's kind of frustrating that there's not a "notifications" section within the app to see what they are, though. On a few occasions, I've accidentally dismissed the notification before reading it, and it just disappears with no way to find out what it says. Would be a nice feature, but generally probably not at the top of their app wishlist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.