Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Does AS check through bags on a LAX-SFO-HKG with an 11hour layover in SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does AS check through bags on a LAX-SFO-HKG with an 11hour layover in SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Question Does AS check through bags on a LAX-SFO-HKG with an 11hour layover in SFO?

I will be flying LAX-SFO on AS 1899 and then connecting to SFO-HKG on CX 873 on the same day on one AS itinerary. With an 11+ hour layover at SFO, does AS check the bag through to Hong Kong or will I have to retrieve my bags at SFO?

Also, will AS be able to print the SFO-HKG boarding pass at LAX?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by hightide
With an 11+ hour layover at SFO, does AS check the bag through to Hong Kong or will I have to retrieve my bags at SFO?
It should. The problem is a) if the LAX GA knows how to do this correctly; b) if your baggage can be transferred without any problems.

No.
hightide likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
With an 11+ hour layover at SFO, does AS check the bag through to Hong Kong or will I have to retrieve my bags at SFO?
Just to clarify what you mean by 11+ hours, AS will check through on connections up to 12 hours.
hightide likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I will be flying LAX-SFO on AS 1899 and then connecting to SFO-HKG on CX 873 on the same day on one AS itinerary. With an 11+ hour layover at SFO, does AS check the bag through to Hong Kong or will I have to retrieve my bags at SFO?

Good timing on this. I’m doing exactly the opposite. SFO-LAX-HKG-BKK and hoping they will check through to BKK but I have about 20 hours in HKG.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Even if they can print it, you'll still need it replaced by a CX BP. Also, I'm sure CX will want a doc check at some point prior to boarding.
eponymous_coward and hightide like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Even if they can print it, you'll still need it replaced by a CX BP. Also, I'm sure CX will want a doc check at some point prior to boarding.
So at LAX what would be the easiest place to have the CX boarding pass issued (hopefully somewhere post security). We had planned on transiting from Terminal 6 to TBIT using the airside walkways and hitting the QF lounge. Assuming that I can't get into the lounge without first having the CX boarding pass? Any CX representative that will be somewhere other than the check-in counter at LAX. 3 hours before departure time?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SF1K
So at LAX what would be the easiest place to have the CX boarding pass issued (hopefully somewhere post security). We had planned on transiting from Terminal 6 to TBIT using the airside walkways and hitting the QF lounge. Assuming that I can't get into the lounge without first having the CX boarding pass? Any CX representative that will be somewhere other than the check-in counter at LAX. 3 hours before departure time?
Does not CX offer OLCI?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Does not CX offer OLCI?
It won't let me because it says I need to check in for my AS flight first. And then I can't check in for my AS flight because it says they need to check docs. UGH!! So maybe CX will allow the online check-in once I've checked in at the airport for my AS flight.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
It won't let me because it says I need to check in for my AS flight first. And then I can't check in for my AS flight because it says they need to check docs. UGH!! So maybe CX will allow the online check-in once I've checked in at the airport for my AS flight.
CX is going to want to check your docs for themselves.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
So assuming go to gate if I don't want to leave Security and/or hopefully find an agent at the QF or OW lounge.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by garykung
It should. The problem is a) if the LAX GA knows how to do this correctly; b) if your baggage can be transferred without any problems.

No.
In what cases would baggages face problems with being transferred?

BTW: Thanks for your reply on the CX thread I will assume I can't enter the SFO lounge but will be willing to try if I can get the SFO-HKG boarding pass at LAX. Even though the SFO-HKG preliminary boarding pass is issued by AS, I presume I should be able to pass security at SFO by showing it?

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Just to clarify what you mean by 11+ hours, AS will check through on connections up to 12 hours.
That's good news -- My layover is 11 hours and 20 minutes
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
Yes, but perhaps the AS check-in will "uninhibit" CX OLCI.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:30 pm

I’ll update after I figure it out tomorrow. It’s such a first world problem. Don’t want to have to go through security again cause that means less time in the QF First Lounge.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:02 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I’ll update after I figure it out tomorrow. It’s such a first world problem. Don’t want to have to go through security again cause that means less time in the QF First Lounge.
In your situation, I'd most likely choose to collect my bags at SFO and recheck them with CX.
A) 10 hours more than enough time to spend in an airport lounge.
B) CX F-tagged bags are likely to save you more time at the baggage carousel in HKG than AS-tagged bags
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AS MVP
If AS through checks your bag you’ll need to stop by CX check in desk to give them the bag tag to enter into the system. Otherwise the bag people will not load them onboard. CX has a strict matching bag to their system procedure for security purpose and it’s also the time they will add or remove first or business priority bag tags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.