Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Interlining

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Luggage Interlining

I was wondering if I have an Alaska Airlines flight from SJC-LAX connecting to LAX-SFO-TLV on the same day but separate ticket would Alaska be able to interline my luggage via the OO Skywest Flight# as Skywest operates flights for Delta, United and Alaska? Would the Alaska Skywest Flight have Codeshares like United 3222 operated by Alaska dba Skywest? Then could I just go to the SJC United Counter and have them verify my Passport Information and provide me with my checked luggage?

If not I have allowed more than enough time at LAX as I arrive at 8;15 AM and have a 6:00 PM flight and will be at the Alaska Lounge as I am flying in First Class and can just go and retrieve my suitcase from the Alaska Baggage Office and transfer it to United in the next terminal and have them verify my Passport and get my Boarding Passes. If they were able to interline my bag I would just go to a United Service Counter to have them verify my passport as I can just walk airside to Terminal 7.

I am doing this routing to meet up with a client at the Alaska Boardroom in LAX for a couple of drinks and a chat before we part ways.

Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danielonn
I was wondering if I have an Alaska Airlines flight from SJC-LAX connecting to LAX-SFO-TLV on the same day but separate ticket would Alaska be able to interline my luggage via the Skywest Flight# as Skywest operates flights for Delta, United and Alaska?
This question belongs in the Alaska forum, not the UA forum. However, the fact that SkyWest operates flights for all of those carriers is irrelevant; it depends upon Alaska’s interline policy, and I believe the answer will be “no.”
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I agree with the above, not a United issue.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As the airline first receiving the bags determine the interlining parameters, agree this is best addressed in the AS forum, where the good folks there can weight in on the issue.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Yes, Alaska is generally willing to interline on separate tickets. AS and UA do have an interline agreement, so AS should be able to check your bag all the way to TLV. Show up at the airport early (it's a manual process for the checkin agent) and make sure you have some padding on your connection (if your AS flight is late and you miss the UA flight at LAX, you'll be treated as a no show by United.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
SJC-LAX connecting to LAX-SFO-TLV on the same day
I am doing this routing to meet up with a client at the Alaska Boardroom in LAX for a couple of drinks and a chat before we part ways.
LOL. Video conferencing not effective?
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
LOL. Video conferencing not effective?
Maybe they're doing more than chatting And OP can write off their trip as business.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It is also helpful to print out the connecting carrier's itinerary to present to the agent. Check with that carrier upon arrival in the connection city (can do at the airside counter). They might take the tag numbers, or even retag the bag (CX F tends to do this )
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I have a First Class flight down to LAX and plan to arrive at SJC at 4 AM. My flight arrives LAX at 8:15 AM and I am on the 6 PM LAX flight so there is plenty of time to check my bag.

Is this method checking my bag all the way to TLV SJC risky with enough connecting time at LAX vs walking my bag over to UA and reclearing security at T6 at 2 PM to continue the meeting in the AS Lounge,?

I am lucky to have two options and my next flight only being a terminal away.

And as it was a $14.60 ticket from an AS Discount Code I don't need the refund.Its costing us less this way and I am only asking for the car service to SJC at $41 via Wingz.

The airport transportation is costing more than the flight.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Yes, Alaska is generally willing to interline on separate tickets. AS and UA do have an interline agreement, so AS should be able to check your bag all the way to TLV. Show up at the airport early (it's a manual process for the checkin agent) and make sure you have some padding on your connection (if your AS flight is late and you miss the UA flight at LAX, you'll be treated as a no show by United.
Checking back to see if this statement is still valid... I am looking at a potential routing of AS SEA-SFO (revenue ticket) and then UA SFO-HKG (separate award ticket). 2.5 hour connection at SFO, which is a little risky but certainly better if they'll interline the bag

Thanks for the advice
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Checking back to see if this statement is still valid... I am looking at a potential routing of AS SEA-SFO (revenue ticket) and then UA SFO-HKG (separate award ticket). 2.5 hour connection at SFO, which is a little risky but certainly better if they'll interline the bag

Thanks for the advice
I can't speak to UA specifically and have a sample size of one, but when I asked a PDX check-in agent to check my bag through to a separate QF reservation a couple of years ago she did so without even asking to see my onward ticket. YMMV, but they do have an interline agreement.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA

Thanks for the advice
Almost every major carrier has interline agreements with almost every other major carrier. There are limited exceptions. This does not mean they will interline your luggage if you are on separate tickets. It means that they can.

With your routing, as you need to go landside no matter what, the walk to and wait at the AS carousel (and the bags are typically pretty quick), and then walk to UA shouldn't add more than 15 to 20 extra minutes. If your flight is delayed or diverted to SJC or OAK, well then, you won't make it to HKG even if your bags are interlined.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
With your routing, as you need to go landside no matter what, the walk to and wait at the AS carousel (and the bags are typically pretty quick), and then walk to UA shouldn't add more than 15 to 20 extra minutes. If your flight is delayed or diverted to SJC or OAK, well then, you won't make it to HKG even if your bags are interlined.
I think the big advantage of interlined bags would be that OP doesn't have to worry about the UA checkin deadline in case of a delay - they just need to make it to the gate by T-15. That plus not having to wait 20 mins at the AS baggage claim could add an extra 20-40 mins of buffer, which is not inconsequential on a 2.5 hour layover.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Yes, that is indeed my thinking.

This is not my ideal routing, but Plan C or D given that my dates are firm, I'd strongly prefer to use miles and the CX flights are already pretty darn full. (It is also the UA 77W, so it's as good as their product gets these days)

And just good to know for the future, even if I don't end up flying this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:33 pm

Appreciate if someone can help confirm my understanding of my luggage situation on my upcoming trip. AA Award SEA-DOH-BOM on QR in J, separate AS Revenue Ticket PDX-SEA in Y to position for the international flight. Connection time in SEA 4 Hours.

Since QR J allowance is 2x 70lbs/32kgs for checked luggage, AS should allow me the same and through check my bags all the way to BOM, given AS/QR are OW and have interline agreements and not have to pay AS baggage fees, correct? Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.