Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Not exactly SDC, any chance to fly one day before booked flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

So I booked a partner ticket with an AS connection after international arrival in SEA. Since all SEA to SFO connections on the same day are out of space for partners the ticket is booked with a next day connection, I am wondering if there is any chance I could get a seat at SEA by talking to GA or counter?

I know SDC won't apply here but once I was in the same situation a sympathetic Delta agent gave me a same day left-over seat for $50. I am also MVPG if that helps, just wondering if anyone had similar experience.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Ask at the airport. Book a fully cancellable hotel room just in case they say “no” (or book last minute if you feel like rolling dice). Let us know how it goes.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:42 pm

I would say that the tough part is that since this is not an Alaska ticket, they are not going to be able to make any changes to it so that you can get a seat in the flight you want. I remember making a redemption through Delta with an Alaska connection but when I tried to make a small change I couldn't (can't remember what it was but the agent really tried since I'm 75K). Ultimately they told me I had to deal with Delta to do anything with the ticket. Now, this was not at the airport or anything so that might be a different story. Couple of questions though: how soon are you traveling? and how may SEA-SFO flights are left for that day once you land in SEA? I mention this b/c a one-way if it's not too soon would probably run you 100 bucks or so. You can buy one of the last flights for that day and try your strategy on the earlier flights when you land. If you strike out you can always get on the flight you purchased and if it works you can just cancel and get the money into your wallet. Ultimately, I'm guessing that a $100 is less than what you would spend on the hotel for that night. Good luck.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Ask at the airport. Book a fully cancellable hotel room just in case they say “no” (or book last minute if you feel like rolling dice). Let us know how it goes.
That's my plan too, since most hotels now require 24 hour cancellation I might have to roll the dice at SEA, or rent a minivan to sleep for a few hours...
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halamadrid
I would say that the tough part is that since this is not an Alaska ticket, they are not going to be able to make any changes to it so that you can get a seat in the flight you want. I remember making a redemption through Delta with an Alaska connection but when I tried to make a small change I couldn't (can't remember what it was but the agent really tried since I'm 75K). Ultimately they told me I had to deal with Delta to do anything with the ticket. Now, this was not at the airport or anything so that might be a different story. Couple of questions though: how soon are you traveling? and how may SEA-SFO flights are left for that day once you land in SEA? I mention this b/c a one-way if it's not too soon would probably run you 100 bucks or so. You can buy one of the last flights for that day and try your strategy on the earlier flights when you land. If you strike out you can always get on the flight you purchased and if it works you can just cancel and get the money into your wallet. Ultimately, I'm guessing that a $100 is less than what you would spend on the hotel for that night. Good luck.
I thought about it, but I am traveling during the 7/4 holiday and tickets on 7/8 are already going at $300+ so I figure trying my luck at the airport is better. AS should have control of the ticket by then since it's within 24 hours of departure and operating carrier gets access at check-in, there are 6 or 7 flights on 7/8 after I land so it's very likely there will be seats left so it's a question of whether they can/will give one to me, will share after I travel.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I can't find the reference to it so maybe its gone but you used to be able to SDC to flight 10PM or later the day before. Though i believe it only applied to routes like SEA/ANC that have flights that depart nearly 24 hours a day. Other than that It's called same day change for a reason.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Yu Zhong
That's my plan too, since most hotels now require 24 hour cancellation I might have to roll the dice at SEA, or rent a minivan to sleep for a few hours...
Some corporate rates still have 6pm cancels available. IHG is one example.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Worth a shot to ask, but officially this is a no.

We run into this a fair bit SEA-ANC when fares are cheaper (or saver space is available) on the 6 or 8 AM SEA-ANC.

Usually I just book a room (or camp out in the airport). Think I've checked before, but checked luggage makes it difficult.

Good luck ^
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Worth a shot to ask, but officially this is a no.

We run into this a fair bit SEA-ANC when fares are cheaper (or saver space is available) on the 6 or 8 AM SEA-ANC.

Usually I just book a room (or camp out in the airport). Think I've checked before, but checked luggage makes it difficult.

Good luck ^
Thanks! Checked luggage is supposed to be claimed in SEA after international arrival anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe your luggage was checked through on domestic connection?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Yu Zhong
Thanks! Checked luggage is supposed to be claimed in SEA after international arrival anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe your luggage was checked through on domestic connection?
Checking luggage can inhibit connections, even if inbound from an international flight (other carriers send info to AS). This is specifically an AS issue.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Quick update: it didn't work out, AS agent at transfer desk claimed she doesn't have control of the ticket until the day of flight, I am not sure if it's true but given all flights to SFO are full today I didn't push her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.