Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Need to Change Award Flight within 60 Days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

So I currently have an one way CX J booked in March. for early September travel. However I may need to change the date of the flight in July, within 60 days of departure.

If the goal is to avoid the $125 change fee, should I cancel the award ticket before 60 days (by calling AS) and re-book once I know the exact travel date in July?

If I cancel before 60 days. will there be any extra fee by calling the agent to cancel? Will the miles be posted back into my AS account immediately? What about the taxes and fees- are they instant refund as well?

Thanksn
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:43 pm

I guess the goal would be to know your new plans before the 60-day mark to avoid having to pay another partner fee. You need to meet that 60-day threshold to avoid the $125 no matter what so if you know plans will change you might as well cancel. I've never been charged a fee for calling in to cancel, but I'm 75K. The miles have always been posted back right away whenever I've made a cancellation for either partner awards or AS metal awards. The refund starts processing right away and goes back to the payment source, but does take the normal 5-7 business days to show up.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by halamadrid
I guess the goal would be to know your new plans before the 60-day mark to avoid having to pay another partner fee. You need to meet that 60-day threshold to avoid the $125 no matter what so if you know plans will change you might as well cancel. I've never been charged a fee for calling in to cancel, but I'm 75K. The miles have always been posted back right away whenever I've made a cancellation for either partner awards or AS metal awards. The refund starts processing right away and goes back to the payment source, but does take the normal 5-7 business days to show up.
The downside of canceling now is that the award space might not be there when the plans solidify.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Are you Gold or 75K?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by jinglish
The downside of canceling now is that the award space might not be there when the plans solidify.
I have cancelled an F award in the past and it was more than 60 days out. No problems getting miles and fees back . I did notice that the F award never did make it back to the AS schedule.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
We have cancelled three CX award flights over the last two months in an attempt to change passenger names, and not one of them made it back into AS inventory. Good luck.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by QT31415
We have cancelled three CX award flights over the last two months in an attempt to change passenger names, and not one of them made it back into AS inventory. Good luck.
There does seem to be an 18-24 hour delay from award space appearing on CX and AS having access to it. Did you check back the next day? Granted by then, someone else could have snagged it. And CX doesn't have to return the space to an award fare class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.