Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Upgrade with companion, possible to cancel self after clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, B6 Mosaic

Is this situation possible, or does AS prevent it in some way:
  • 75k and companion, waitlisted for F on Q fare
  • Upgrade clears for both, let's say T-1 or T-2
  • 75k cancels own fare, companion still traveling
Is the cancellation even allowed at that point? And would the companion remain upgraded? Seems like a bit of a loophole.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
From my experience, if the primary traveler cancels, the companion ticket is also canceled.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:17 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by Akck
From my experience, if the primary traveler cancels, the companion ticket is also canceled.
i think the OP is talking about two regular price tickets on a single PNR, not a companion fare.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by tonei

i think the OP is talking about two regular price tickets on a single PNR, not a companion fare.
That’s right, sorry for the confusion.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Hopefully this doesn’t work. And if so and abused hopefully AS takes action against the elite member.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Cancellation is allowed, but I'd expect the system to kick the upgrade out, and companion will be relegated to whatever middle seat may remain. If for some reason this did not occur, then the programmers have made a mistake. But since AS insiders read this, I'm sure at least one of them will be checking to make sure that there's no programming loophole.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Cancellation is allowed, but I'd expect the system to kick the upgrade out, and companion will be relegated to whatever middle seat may remain. If for some reason this did not occur, then the programmers have made a mistake. But since AS insiders read this, I'm sure at least one of them will be checking to make sure that there's no programming loophole.
Lets add another dimension. What if the other party on the reservation also has Elite Status? My Partner and I are both 75K and usually on the same PNR. Should one of us need to cancel last minute I don't think the other should be "relegated " to the middle seat at the back of the plane. OP mentioned upgrades in his example at T-2 & T-1 which would never happen if the companion was being upgraded on the Merits of the primary Elite Member Status because if two U seats were available then both would be upgraded at the same time or not at all.

I agree that someone upgraded on the merits of a Members status should lose that upgrade if the Elite Member cancels UNLESS they can maintain the upgrade on their own merit.

I HOPE this is the way it is handled. Programming for every scenario is a real challenge, if this one was overlooked I trust AS will make the necessary changes.

James

EDIT: Sorry, misread your example as both being upgraded at different times not together as you said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.