Search

Alaska Lounges (2020 and Earlier)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
Is IAD really a major hub for Alaska?
No, it's not. There's a number of other cities that don't have lounge space or agreements at all that get considerably more service than IAD: SAN, SJC, LAS, DAL. Two of them are actual AS focus cities. LAS has something like 20+ flights a day combined between SEA/PDX/LAX/SFO. DAL gets service from ALL AS hubs and focus cities save ANC.

IAD isn't any different from BOS/BWI/EWR/PHL in being an East Coast city that AS serves, the only real difference being that there's no AA lounge, so AL card holders don't get lounge access (and I guess AS isn't inclined to do a deal with UA for AL card holders because, again, not a huge station). But "Why doesn't AS have pay-in lounge access in IAD for Golds/75Ks" is really small beer- especially as AS lounge access has never been a "hey, we'll let elites pay to get into lounges" model, it's been a "free access to OUR lounges if you paid cash or miles for first, 75Ks get some lounge passes, oh and we sell a lounge pass" model. AS doesn't care to change their entire lounge access model just because SRB has a nice lounge in IAD.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No, it's not. There's a number of other cities that don't have lounge space or agreements at all that get considerably more service than IAD: SAN, SJC, LAS, DAL. Two of them are actual AS focus cities. LAS has something like 20+ flights a day combined between SEA/PDX/LAX/SFO. DAL gets service from ALL AS hubs and focus cities save ANC.

IAD isn't any different from BOS/BWI/EWR/PHL in being an East Coast city that AS serves, the only real difference being that there's no AA lounge, so AL card holders don't get lounge access (and I guess AS isn't inclined to do a deal with UA for AL card holders because, again, not a huge station). But "Why doesn't AS have pay-in lounge access in IAD for Golds/75Ks" is really small beer- especially as AS lounge access has never been a "hey, we'll let elites pay to get into lounges" model, it's been a "free access to OUR lounges if you paid cash or miles for first, 75Ks get some lounge passes, oh and we sell a lounge pass" model. AS doesn't care to change their entire lounge access model just because SRB has a nice lounge in IAD.
Though I completely agree that IAD is probably quite low on AS's list of priorities for lounge access, they do have a side agreement with UA for lounge access in PHL even though there are Admiral's Clubs available and AS has historically had a grand total of one daily flight to PHL (recently increased to three or four by adding PDX, LAX, and SFO at least seasonally, I think). (That agreement predates the AA/US merger and also makes sense because AA's gates and lounges are a bit of a hike from AS's gate in D.)

I wonder if both AS and UA having fewer flights as well as the option to fall back to AA (giving AS some more negotiating leverage) makes UA willing to cut a better deal for AS in PHL than they would in IAD.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Originally Posted by ashill
Though I completely agree that IAD is probably quite low on AS's list of priorities for lounge access, they do have a side agreement with UA for lounge access in PHL even though there are Admiral's Clubs available and AS has historically had a grand total of one daily flight to PHL (recently increased to three or four by adding PDX, LAX, and SFO at least seasonally, I think). (That agreement predates the AA/US merger and also makes sense because AA's gates and lounges are a bit of a hike from AS's gate in D.)

I wonder if both AS and UA having fewer flights as well as the option to fall back to AA (giving AS some more negotiating leverage) makes UA willing to cut a better deal for AS in PHL than they would in IAD.
Yeap, AS at DCA uses the UA lounge because the pier they currently fly out of for the pmAS flights (SEA/LAX/PDX) is separated from the AA gates by being in a different secure area. I am thinking that AS might not have gotten around to securing lounge access with UA at IAD as UA flies out of C/D whereas AS flies out of B.

In a dream world AS lounge members would be able to use the BA lounge at IAD outside of Priority Pass hours. This lounge is right above the AS gates, but I’m not holding my breath.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by obnoxoid
I am thinking that AS might not have gotten around to securing lounge access with UA at IAD as UA flies out of C/D whereas AS flies out of B.
Bingo, big ol' pain in the posterior to have your lounge in a completely different terminal, especially someplace like IAD where the A/B side is huge, and the "temporary midfield terminal" isn't, really, and the UA "temporary" side has some ghastly design problems:

There’s a an airport train system, but United passengers (who represent a majority of the airport’s patrons) quickly realize that the train was built to drop people off where they intend to build a new terminal at some point in the future.. rather than where passengers actually need to go today.
Originally Posted by obnoxoid
In a dream world AS lounge members would be able to use the BA lounge at IAD outside of Priority Pass hours. This lounge is right above the AS gates, but I’m not holding my breath.

Sure, but the hours for the BA lounge don't fit when some of the AS flights go (very very early in the AM), so that means pay for staffing. For a pretty small station...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 31, 2018 at 3:52 pm
Old May 31, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
Regarding SAN, the Airspace Lounge in T2 East is now an official option for Alaska Lounge members, listed under ‘other partner locations.’ For the time being, that’s only a good option for people flying to SFO out of Gate 26 (all others would have to change terminals and reclear security). But this means SAN passengers should have a partner lounge available on day 1 after Alaska relocates to T2 in 2019. (FYI, footnote on the site says it cannot be used for arrivals.)
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:40 am

thx, it could be useful )
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The JFK offerings are a joke. It makes SEA seem like a grand luxury buffet. As I was about to post this I overheard a lady on the phone complaining to someone regarding the lack of offerings in here (but that it is a nice space). At least there are real plates and utensils in which to put your fine dining.

Attendant inside is lovely. Entry person wondered why a non member would be trying to enter with a paid F BP. I told her because I am in paid F. After a bit of hesitation she welcomed me in.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The postscript to yesterday's visit: Several people kept asking the lounge agents about food selections, or lack thereof. Not even a cheese cube to be found, or a cookie. Nonetheless, you could have a 5pm pancake. Finally, on my way out, and out of view of the offending guest, I told the entry agent that there is a dog on the people furniture, and she called back to have that person put the dog back in its carrier.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
I was also in the JFK lounge yesterday afternoon and was unimpressed. I thought the staff was very pleasant but the place was woefully understaffed. Dirty dishes everywhere. When dishes were picked up tables were not wiped down so surfaces were wet and sticky. No soup bowls. No barista and the Starbucks machine was not fully functional. And, as noted, not a cheese cube in sight. For the flagship location the only thing that impressed was the bathroom.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beltphed
Speaking of old lounges, what is the former AS lounge at SFO doing these days?
AFAIK this was demolished, along with the rest of the terminal.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
AFAIK this was demolished, along with the rest of the terminal.
That part of the old building is still standing ... for now.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The postscript to yesterday's visit: Several people kept asking the lounge agents about food selections, or lack thereof. Not even a cheese cube to be found, or a cookie. Nonetheless, you could have a 5pm pancake. Finally, on my way out, and out of view of the offending guest, I told the entry agent that there is a dog on the people furniture, and she called back to have that person put the dog back in its carrier.
I've only been there in the morning, which had (plain) bagels, english muffins, granola, and plain yogurt. Missing were the scones/muffins/blueberries I saw in other AS Lounges but the barista station was an acceptable trade. What was the evening food offering? They'd made a big deal that they were 'enhancing' the complimentary offerings when the lounge first opened.

Also LOL at the entry agent- they seem confused by everyone entering who -isn't- priority pass.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bkojote
I've only been there in the morning, which had (plain) bagels, english muffins, granola, and plain yogurt. Missing were the scones/muffins/blueberries I saw in other AS Lounges but the barista station was an acceptable trade. What was the evening food offering? They'd made a big deal that they were 'enhancing' the complimentary offerings when the lounge first opened.

Also LOL at the entry agent- they seem confused by everyone entering who -isn't- priority pass.
1 soup. Mixed greens with boiled egg slices, marinated artichoke hearts and slivered almonds on the side. Pretzels. Rolls and butter. The pancake machine was still on. A bowl of apples. Some wrapped mints.

I think that is it.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
A month or so ago I went through the C SEA AL, SEA CL, and SEA SC.

It was interesting to compare them- the AL was sunny but quaint. AX CL was busy but the beverages tasty. Its nice to be on a first name basis with the staff there And the DL SC... it was a huge abyss... lots of room inside- but was underwhelming to me. Food was ok...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:36 am

I have a love/hate relationship with the Centurion Lounge. While I really want to like it, the capacity issues are super frustrating (especially with the Memorial day 90 minute access restriction that made the lounge useless for my 11:30pm red-eye.) Half of the time it looks like a refugee camp inside, and recently it's been 60+ minute waits for a shower. What good is a lounge that's a crapshoot?

The SkyClub is far and away the best lounge. Always plenty of space, the bathrooms are massive, it's spotless inside, has a killer view of the mountains, has the best food options, and has rows of shower suites that are really swank. Whatever it lacks in decor or top shelf liquors it makes up for by having its stuff together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.