Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Veteran VX to Newbie AS - Red-Eye Meal/Snack in F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, B6, Hertz President's Circle, HH Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, VX Elevate Gold (RIP)

I hope I'm not re-hashing old threads here (I did a quick search but didn't see a specific answer to my question, so....)

I was a long time VX flyer and flew many, many miles with them, especially between SFO and JFK. I can't find anything on AS's website indicating what kind of first class meal service exists on red-eyes (or other "late" eastbound flights). These flights, as far as I can tell will be on the old VA Airbus fleet, but I doubt that AS will adhere to VA's old food service.

Does anyone know whether these flights will serve full meals in first class (or only a light meal or just a snack or Heaven forbid ... zippo)?

Also, I assume that main cabin and premium (the old VA main cabin select) will still allow meals for purchase on red-eyes but I don't know for certain. Is that assumption correct?

Thanks

Last edited by BigOAir; May 6, 2018 at 12:46 am Reason: Typo
Old May 6, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Hello

For reference, Virgin America is VX. Welcome to AS. There is a whole thread on meals served in F which has a lot of information on the the meals served in F both pre and post April 25th when VX ceased to exist. You can find the thread here.

What will Alaska be serving in first class?

James
Old May 6, 2018, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, B6, Hertz President's Circle, HH Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, VX Elevate Gold (RIP)
Thanks James. Yes, I saw that long thread, but it us sort of all over the place in terms of flights (and the meals had thereon). I was hoping that someone out there might know - in particular - about red-eye flights (previously VX but now AS).

Sorry about the incorrect abbreviation. I'm a total novice at this sort of thing but I did know that Virgin America (RIP) was abbreviated VX and not VA ... just a stupid a*s mistake on my part. Sorry.

Thanks.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by BigOAir
Thanks James. Yes, I saw that long thread, but it us sort of all over the place in terms of flights (and the meals had thereon). I was hoping that someone out there might know - in particular - about red-eye flights (previously VX but now AS).

Sorry about the incorrect abbreviation. I'm a total novice at this sort of thing but I did know that Virgin America (RIP) was abbreviated VX and not VA ... just a stupid a*s mistake on my part. Sorry.

Thanks.
FWIW, I've done the red-eye SFO-BOS and LAX-BOS a few times this year (on VX metal) and there has not been any meal service for those flights.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
AS is literally the worst F class option in these markets-unless you have points to use up. You will get lie flat seats for the overnight flight on other carriers and Jetblue and others have meals on the overnight flights as well.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AS
BigOAir welcome to FlyerTalk. Hopefully we can provide some information and insight into AS . Seems like the landscape is constantly changing.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by BigOAir
I hope I'm not re-hashing old threads here (I did a quick search but didn't see a specific answer to my question, so....)

I was a long time VX flyer and flew many, many miles with them, especially between SFO and JFK. I can't find anything on AS's website indicating what kind of first class meal service exists on red-eyes (or other "late" eastbound flights). These flights, as far as I can tell will be on the old VA Airbus fleet, but I doubt that AS will adhere to VA's old food service.

Does anyone know whether these flights will serve full meals in first class (or only a light meal or just a snack or Heaven forbid ... zippo)?

Also, I assume that main cabin and premium (the old VA main cabin select) will still allow meals for purchase on red-eyes but I don't know for certain. Is that assumption correct?

Thanks
No full meals. pmVX has now aligned w/AS meal service - these red eyes are currently getting the hummus plate which you can view in the F class thread previously linked to.

As you already know, the A320/A319s don't have ovens in Y, so the cold options are only available, which on red-eyes is just the fruit & cheese platter or the picnic packs (processed pre-packaged snack boxes).

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink

As an aside, and previously mentioned elsewhere, AS will be aligning Y buy on board w/pmVX and eventually eliminating all hot meal availability in back systemwide.
BigOAir likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
I would expect a full meal, similar to what you had on the VX red-eyes. I just flew SFO-BOS & BOS-SFO in F a few days ago on an A319 and had a lovely full meal on each flight, quite similar to what I was used to experiencing from VX meals in F. Neither was a red-eye, but I would suspect at least something similar.

Both meals were hot and delicious (photo is of avocado omelet). The return flight was a dinner steak option or a veggie farro dish which I really enjoyed!

Frankly I was surprised, as I thought they had downgraded to AS's catering, but alas, not yet, meal-wise. Both FA's in F on both flights were stellar to boot!

Hope this helps.
BigOAir likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Redye is snack now so taking the worst of AS. Coach no longer has hot meals regardless of time of day, taking the worst of VX.
BigOAir likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by mixmastermark
I would expect a full meal, similar to what you had on the VX red-eyes. I just flew SFO-BOS & BOS-SFO in F a few days ago on an A319 and had a lovely full meal on each flight, quite similar to what I was used to experiencing from VX meals in F. Neither was a red-eye, but I would suspect at least something similar.

Both meals were hot and delicious (photo is of avocado omelet). The return flight was a dinner steak option or a veggie farro dish which I really enjoyed!

Frankly I was surprised, as I thought they had downgraded to AS's catering, but alas, not yet, meal-wise. Both FA's in F on both flights were stellar to boot!
VX is now serving the same meals as AS up front. AS introduced new menus in March that were designed by the VX chef, so basically AS tried to upgrade its food to VX levels. Some people report that the new VX meals aren't as good as before, but it seems like a step in the right direction for AS. That breakfast does look like something I'd enjoy!
Old May 6, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
To most of us the food is a significant upgrade. Though i think with how often the meals wil get cycled it will become the same, im bored of the options already. I know back in Y, the MCS free options got really boring after doing a few flights.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the input. Much appreciated.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Here's my guess as to what the first class snack will be on a red-eye flight...one word...HUMMUS

Last edited by PDXPremier; May 6, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Old May 6, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Here's my guess as to what the first class snack will be on a red-eye flight...one word...HUMUS
Just did a SEA-BOS red eye, and sure enough, it was a snack flight with the much-discussed hummus plate.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Redye is snack now so taking the worst of AS. Coach no longer has hot meals regardless of time of day, taking the worst of VX.
Coach still has hot meals. The elimination was noted in passing on 1 blog, but has not been confirmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.