Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I might be done with Alaska Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
AS Gold 2nd year (status matched last year from UA 1MM gold). I do value the 4 guest upgrades with more confirmed availability on AS website as a big plus over the upgrade certs that United offer (former UA1K multiple years until switching to AS/WN for domestic trips). My personal experience has been that AS comp upgrades (and guest upgrades) have been more generous to us over my previous 10+ years of upgrade experience on UA.

While AS has irritated me with taking away the PE snack boxes and substituting Trail mix/fig bar snacks I'm not in the "move away from AS" camp yet. 3 yrs ago I was definitely in the "move away from UA" camp!!
Old May 2, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
I'm not planning on jumping ship just yet but I do agree with the OP. The new slimline seats are awful on a long flight. I've been booking my flights on VX metal lately and have really been enjoying them. It will be sad to see them disappear.
writetorich likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle
I'm not planning on jumping ship just yet but I do agree with the OP. The new slimline seats are awful on a long flight. I've been booking my flights on VX metal lately and have really been enjoying them. It will be sad to see them disappear.
I agree that I greatly prefer the VX product for longer flights. The AS seats are not bad for slimline, but they are still slimline. Wish they would just leave things alone and keep the VX Y product as it is.
ptownca likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd

I agree that I greatly prefer the VX product for longer flights. The AS seats are not bad for slimline, but they are still slimline. Wish they would just leave things alone and keep the VX Y product as it is.
If they were going to leave things alone, they wouldn’t have bought VX or installed slimline seats in the first place.
jinglish likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Tankerman
When the ecomony is up and up and planes are full, they treat loyal elites as a nuisance.
I have never once felt that was the case and I've been flying Alaska since 1991, with Gold/75K since 2009.

Obviously the program isn't what it was in the 90s, but they still treat elites very well in my experience.
Eastbay1K, DaveH, Jma12 and 4 others like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I have never once felt that was the case and I've been flying Alaska since 1991, with Gold/75K since 2009.

Obviously the program isn't what it was in the 90s, but they still treat elites very well in my experience.
​​​​​​ Seconded, as an MVP since 2015 with a father who was MVPG in the late '90s. Reservation agents have repeatedly given me unannounced F or Premium Class upgrades when I've called in about schedule changes.
eponymous_coward and DrAlex like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I have never once felt that was the case
Strongly agree. The difference between how AS treats me as an MVPG and how HA treats me as a Plat (their equivalent) is pretty stark.
eponymous_coward and T2A like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by kouichi
Sorry to disappoint you, it's not the upgraded Recaro seats. It's as slimline as slim can be.
I'm confused; what's all of this talk about new slimline seats? The only pmAS mainline aircraft without Recaro seats are the 11 remaining 737-700s that haven't been converted to freighters. I wouldn't exactly consider the Recaro seats new either... they came around in 2015 or before, iirc. Is there a new-new set of slimline seats that aren't Recaro that they are fitting to aircraft? I seem to have missed that announcement.

I have spent plenty of time on the new premium-class-configured aircraft and they all have had the usual slimline Recaro seats.

Originally Posted by jinglish
[citation needed]
I agree... is there some evidence that Alaska is putting non-Recaro slimline Y seats in their aircraft?
Old May 4, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by sturges
I'm confused; what's all of this talk about new slimline seats? The only pmAS mainline aircraft without Recaro seats are the 11 remaining 737-700s that haven't been converted to freighters. I wouldn't exactly consider the Recaro seats new either... they came around in 2015 or before, iirc. Is there a new-new set of slimline seats that aren't Recaro that they are fitting to aircraft? I seem to have missed that announcement.

I have spent plenty of time on the new premium-class-configured aircraft and they all have had the usual slimline Recaro seats.

I agree... is there some evidence that Alaska is putting non-Recaro slimline Y seats in their aircraft?
The Recaro slimline seats are torture for > 2 hrs, especially if you are slim like me: 5' 7" 160 lbs. Compared to VX. they simply lack enough padding.
Skyjumper likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The preferred seats are killing it for no-status flyers like me. I can live with TOD premium seats but taking out the entire front of the plane with premium + preferred does not leave me with many options for reserved seats in the back when the plane starts to fill. If I can't get a reserved seats when I buy the ticket I might as well fly WN where I simply pay $15 to guarantee myself (and family) a whole row. Would have been smarter to adopt VX cabins & amenities and not vice versa.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:25 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The preferred seats are killing it for no-status flyers like me. I can live with TOD premium seats but taking out the entire front of the plane with premium + preferred does not leave me with many options for reserved seats in the back when the plane starts to fill. If I can't get a reserved seats when I buy the ticket I might as well fly WN where I simply pay $15 to guarantee myself (and family) a whole row. Would have been smarter to adopt VX cabins & amenities and not vice versa.
A lot of seats open at T24. The other thing to do is call in right after you book, they often hold seats for families that they will release to you. Worst comes to worst gate agents are normally pretty good about accommodating families.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Often1
The economy is on screech
Is AS flying to YYT now??
flatdawgs likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Would have been smarter to adopt VX cabins & amenities and not vice versa.
Not really. I've bought VX MCS tickets that were cheaper than MC, and VX had the exact same problem (where the front half of the plane was either MCS or Main Cabin Preferred Seating you paid extra for, and if you were not elite there might not be many seats together).
Old May 16, 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by mh3c
After nearly 15 years exclusively with Alaska Air, most of them as a Gold, I might be looking for a new carrier.

It started small. Little things going away. Nuts in F. Easy upgrades, etc.

Then it got bigger. Inability to upgrade to F but being told getting my traditional row 6 was an “upgrade”. Cutting the 6:45p SJC to PDX kills us business travelers.

Then the Recaro seats. God I LOATHE these glorified sheets of plywood.

Today i I sat in a normal coach seat on an old Virgin livery and was measurably more comfortable than any flight in PE I’ve taken on Alaska in the past couple of years.

So im looking for a new home.
Anyone else made the switch and been happy?
It depends on how you fly. I fly for work though domestic nobody is buying first. Alaska's first class fares are often 3-4x the coach fare. Usually I can book Delta or American and call in and pay the difference between coach and business and fly up front. Alaska's website being garbage for redemptions, the food packs being terrible and business travelers booking via an agency being treated like **** really soured me on the airline. When I'm stuck in coach now I usually book Jet Blue for the leg room.

It's hard to be loyal.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Except you can't do that if they don't have an evening SJC-PDX flight as the OP mentioned.

Out of all the routes/times ex-SJC, you'd think that'd be one of the higher demand options. They'll try to match or surpass WN on any route out of SJC but will leave the PDX-based business travel market to WN, or ask people to drive up to OAK/SFO (of course no F seat on OAK-PDX either, for a few more weeks at least). Bizarre.
WN going all in on flooding this market, going up to 8x on SJC-PDX this fall, double the capacity they've had in recent years. OAK-PDX gaining a frequency to go to 7x. WN bailing on the 50% LF SFO-PDX route.

Last edited by ucdtim17; May 31, 2018 at 11:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.