Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gogo Satellite-Based Wi-Fi Available (November, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gogo Satellite-Based Wi-Fi Available (November, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It won't be an edge for the US48-Hawaii market. All of the 757s, 753s, and 767s that Delta flies to Hawaii (and that's everything, as of ~2 weeks ago) have sat wifi today.
I was thinking of that elephant of the air corridors, Southwest.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by paulstorm
Thanks for the heads up! What was the cost structure like?

I have an AS GoGo monthly pass and I'm curious how that would play with Satellite Wi-Fi.
If it's like AA, your Gogo subscription will work...log in and good to go. Used it last week on a PHX-CLT flight in fact.

The satellite wifi is much better than Gogo.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
SEA-BNA (conventional Gogo):
All day $31.95
Entire flight $21.95
30 minutes $6.00
Monthly $49.95

BNA-SEA (satellite Gogo):
Entire flight $20.00
60 minutes $6.50
Monthly $49.95
(didn’t see an all day option in my picture; may have been off screen or just not there)

Interestingly, Gogo gave the standard warning that there are a large number of users and performance may be degraded. Didn’t pull the trigger so no speed test results.

There’s also a sticker to the right of the galley for equipped aircraft.

The onboard media/wifi seems to have been rejiggered. On conventional Gogo, the WiFi and flight tracker options from the side menu were grayed out below 10kft but movies continued to play on the ground. On the satellite Gogo flight, WiFi and flight tracker remained active to the ground as well.
CalanMan and DrAlex like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Oh nice, the new system will allow us to connect to the video player as soon as we board? My last flight from SEA to LAX was just a bit too short to finish the movie I was watching but if I'd been able to start on the ground, or play it until we landed I could've made it
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Oh nice, the new system will allow us to connect to the video player as soon as we board? My last flight from SEA to LAX was just a bit too short to finish the movie I was watching but if I'd been able to start on the ground, or play it until we landed I could've made it
Just make sure you are using a tablet or phone. Laptops have to be put away.

I presume the pre-paid GoGo passes would still apply. They are always a better deal if you can plan ahead.
I think also another difference is the new system uses AlaskaWifi as the SSID name?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by dmodemd
A couple weeks ago, I got an email the morning of my flight that the internet would not be working as the aircraft was new from the factory and the internet was not set up yet, but entertainment would work. (This was a 737-900/ER). When on the plane I noticed the WiFi name was Alaska_WiFi instead of GoGo. I guess it was prepped to take the new internet soon:

Per the page above:
  1. Turn on your device's Wi-Fi, and choose the Alaska_WiFi network.
So, I guess that is a clue you have the new WiFi system?
I believe the flight I had with the new system had visible placards as you boarded the plane. The Wifi was rebranded from gogo_inflight to Alaska_WiFi.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:21 am

Just make sure you are using a tablet or phone. Laptops have to be put away.

I presume the pre-paid GoGo passes would still apply. They are always a better deal if you can plan ahead.
I think also another difference is the new system uses AlaskaWifi as the SSID name?
My standard Gogo subscription got me access with no additional cost.
tusphotog and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by nearlysober
To clarify, I think they’ve rejiggered the onboard wifi & media server on existing conventional Gogo equipped planes to allow those to continue on the ground. My SEA-BNA flight grayed out [Internet] Wifi descending below 10kft but I was still able to stream a movie while taxiing on landing. I’ll double check the tail number just to confirm it was a conventional Gogo.

(ETA: Yes! Conventional Gogo on the outbound bird - N468AS)

Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
I believe the flight I had with the new system had visible placards as you boarded the plane. The Wifi was rebranded from gogo_inflight to Alaska_WiFi.
And the landing page is AlaskaWiFi.com (and then to Gogo’s page). Sometimes the initial captive portal hasn’t worked to automatically redirect me. Luckily it’s in the seat pocket info... if I remember it’s there.

Last edited by rustykettel; Nov 23, 2018 at 9:14 am
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:14 am

Is there a way to track tails that have the new system?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:37 am

https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/
You have to click on the fleet types at the top of the page to get individual tail configurations.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:47 am

I flew on N927VA a few days ago. Didn't even realize until after I landed that it featured the new 2Ku internet, but in retrospect it should've been obvious; at one point I was able to stream a 10-minute YouTube video just fine and was mildly surprised, but didn't think much of it at the time. And when the wifi remained usable on my phone all the way until landing, I assumed it was just because the FAs forgot to disable it at 10k feet (which I've had happen to me occasionally with the old ATG-4 system).

Overall, pretty great in-flight internet experience. I had the internet cut out on me for ~30s a few times during the flight, but for the vast majority of the flight, the wifi was pretty fast and I was able to get work done without interruption. I always keep `ping 8.8.8.8` running in the background on flights (so that I can easily switch to that window to check if the internet's gone down), so while I didn't get a speed test, I do have some data on network latency and packet loss from the flight:
13158 packets transmitted, 12346 packets received, 6.2% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 623.013/813.427/9547.776/216.407 ms
rustykettel likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
I flew on N927VA a few days ago. Didn't even realize until after I landed that it featured the new 2Ku internet, but in retrospect it should've been obvious; at one point I was able to stream a 10-minute YouTube video just fine and was mildly surprised, but didn't think much of it at the time.
A wise professor of mine in a Data Communications class in the early 1990s once said to me: "as soon as engineers find a way to create more bandwidth, developers [or users] will find a way to squander it."

(Be kind, don't stream...)
CalanMan likes this.

Last edited by dmodemd; Nov 30, 2018 at 7:42 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
A couple weeks ago, I got an email the morning of my flight that the internet would not be working as the aircraft was new from the factory and the internet was not set up yet, but entertainment would work. (This was a 737-900/ER). When on the plane I noticed the WiFi name was Alaska_WiFi instead of GoGo.
Flew AS 421 BNA-SEA on Tuesday. Tail N288AK. Alaska_Wifi showed as network, but no internet available. FA claimed that it would only be activated on/after 1/1. Just checked and while this is a newer aircraft, it's been flying since May. I was a little pissed as I really could have used the connectivity that I had anticipated. Was offered the grand sum of $25 credit for my trouble.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:39 am

I would hope they focus installation priority on the new birds coming out with no connectivity over the current GoGo fleet. Otherwise, we will have an increasing number of the new planes with no connectivity at all that may be waiting for installation later. As for that 1/1 "activation" date, it appears these are already activated where installed. I would think it is just about when each particular plane gets it installed.
The WiFi is working for the local media but internet access is not.
mczlaw likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:00 am

N288AK and N290AK are the only two without Internet WiFi per the unofficial Weebly fleet page. The deliveries after either had 2KU installed before going into service or have been retrofitted already apparently. Just haven’t caught up to those two birds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.