Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gogo Satellite-Based Wi-Fi Available (November, 2018)

Gogo Satellite-Based Wi-Fi Available (November, 2018)

Old Dec 26, 18, 7:10 am

Programs: Alaska airlines
I’ve been on flights in which the GOGo was down and they state you can still use the Alaska inflight entertainment on your device.

I’ve not been able to successfully navigate and get acccess. I see that the WiFi is connected on my iPad but then I get a message when attempting to access the movie library that currently there is no connection (or something to this effect). What have I been missing?
Old Dec 26, 18, 9:25 pm

Satellite internet was installed (along with Brad Tilsen) on my DCA-SEA flight (AS #3 ) flight on December 6. Quality was good enough to stream live NFL and a movie on Hulu.
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:12 pm

On another 2Ku flight tonight (N926VA):
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, *wood LT Gold
Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
Iíve been on flights in which the GOGo was down and they state you can still use the Alaska inflight entertainment on your device.

Iíve not been able to successfully navigate and get acccess. I see that the WiFi is connected on my iPad but then I get a message when attempting to access the movie library that currently there is no connection (or something to this effect). What have I been missing?
I'm curious to know as well. Had the same experience you did on a recent flight with Gogo=Nogo. The WiFi network would show up and I could surf the movie titles, but couldn't get any to play...
Old Jan 5, 19, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn View Post
Took the first revenue flight on N296AK yesterday, it has the 2Ku satellite connectivity. The conversion can't happen soon enough!
I agree, canít happen fast enough.

On flight yesterday #175 and the GoGo WiFi couldnít even open up emails for 1/2 the flight. I have the monthly subscription that is automatically billed on what ever day of the month in which you initially signed up. If I canít do simple work reliably (basic emails and replyís) I might as well just cancel.

How do i cancel and find our what the last day of my month payment cycle ? Donít want to cancel a whole month if I was billed yesterday for the month.
Old Jan 5, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
How do i cancel and find our what the last day of my month payment cycle ? Donít want to cancel a whole month if I was billed yesterday for the month.
Log in to your Gogo account https://www.gogoair.com It should show the billing and subscription details there for you.
Xrayman likes this.
Old Jan 5, 19, 12:57 pm

Thanks for the guidance. Have a flight this Monday. If it still persists Iím done with it.
Old Jan 16, 19, 10:04 am

I'm on an Airbus still equipped with ViaSat (N363VA). The internet on this plane is perfectly functional... once you click through the safety warning in your browser.
Old Feb 7, 19, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, AS MVPG 75K, UA PM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Is there a tracking thread for this that is more robust? I'd like to get sense of how the retrofit is progressing in 2019.
Old Feb 7, 19, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by BallardFlyer View Post
Is there a tracking thread for this that is more robust? I'd like to get sense of how the retrofit is progressing in 2019.
Currently at 10/231, according to https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/
BallardFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 19, 9:10 am

Programs: AS 75K,AA Plat, UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glb, Accors Plt, Natl Exec, Avis PC
Even better would be a "does your flight have ViaSat?" web page!
It would be nice if Alaska could send you an email prior to your flight to tell you if you have the new ViaSat. I have gotten an email that told me that my aircraft was too new to have any internet service yet (pre ViaSat install), so they certainly have the capability to do that!