Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Carry-on baggage size reduction eff 6/4/18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Carry-on baggage size reduction eff 6/4/18

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
I am not happy. A GA suggested people try to fit their current carry on into the sizer. Nine out of 10 bags did not fit, including mine. By checking a bag, I lose 2 hours round trip dropping off and waiting at baggage. I am 75K, so it’s not about paying to check. When you travel 1-2 a week that adds up. I think their excuse of “informing size across carriers” is about extra $$$. The GA said managers are going to be at gates with credit card machines starting Monday. Flights will be delayed and passengers will be cranky. Employees did not get COLA increases yet lots of $$$ will come in at $25 per bag. I only fly Alaska and the off chance I fly another carrier, I will take a chance for gate checking.
I'm with you. Have had the same Briggs bag for 10+ years. It's 1" over this new size limit but fits lengthwise just fine on 738/739s and the E175s.

I will be VERY unhappy if I'm not allowed to board with it.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by pcoll
I wonder if they will have everyone put bag into sizer or just pull out those that look oversized.
Hoping that they will go after those who have larger bags and try to pass them off as carry ons. I am thinking of those people who are pulling stuff out of their bags at their seat because it will not fit into overhead bins.
^ It would also be awesome if they enforced the "two carry-on" rule equitably.
pcoll, be_rettSEA and SpicyMorale like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
... fits lengthwise just fine on 738/739s ...
that, I think, is part of the issue: bags are supposed to go on edge in the new bins on the 738/739
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Mine is 23×15×8, gf's is 23×14×8. Mine is 15+ years old and don't mind finally replacing but my gf's is only two years old. It's the wheels that go over for both of us, sigh.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by philemer
^ It would also be awesome if they enforced the "two carry-on" rule equitably.
Or bags that must fit underneath the seat, there was a passenger that had bags of Kentucky Fried Chicken that spilled out into his own feet space, FA asked if his bags could fit underneath the seat and he said yeah. And that was the end of that smelly situation as nothing else happened.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Just got back from a (driving) trip so measured our "smallest" rollaboard - chubbed out, it is 24" x 13 x 10. However, the 9 dimension can be reduced with compression or just packing less - but does the height include wheels AND handle? If not, that would fall below 24 back to 22 and we'd be fine.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Just got back from a (driving) trip so measured our "smallest" rollaboard - chubbed out, it is 24" x 13 x 10. However, the 9 dimension can be reduced with compression or just packing less - but does the height include wheels AND handle? If not, that would fall below 24 back to 22 and we'd be fine.
The height includes wheels and handles and the new sizer, from a casual glance last week, appears to enforce that.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:25 pm

When you see "that guy" in the airport or boarding your plane with extra stuff that seems to exceed the carryon allowance, keep in mind that people who need to travel with medical equipment can bring those items on the plane, in addition to their regular allowance. This kind of gear isn't always obvious -- no red cross or skull&crossbones on the bags, so you might jsimply see a black bag that looks like regular stuff. And if airline staff are aware of it, they certainly aren't going to risk violating anyone's medical privacy by divulging what's happening!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kaymoz
When you see "that guy" in the airport or boarding your plane with extra stuff that seems to exceed the carryon allowance, keep in mind that people who need to travel with medical equipment can bring those items on the plane, in addition to their regular allowance. This kind of gear isn't always obvious -- no red cross or skull&crossbones on the bags, so you might jsimply see a black bag that looks like regular stuff. And if airline staff are aware of it, they certainly aren't going to risk violating anyone's medical privacy by divulging what's happening!
I simply put a SERVICE ANIMAL. WORKING DO NOT PET collar around my extra carry-on
tusphotog and IStream like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725

The height includes wheels and handles and the new sizer, from a casual glance last week, appears to enforce that.
This is not a big carryon - it is our smallest with wheels, only thing smaller is an over the shoulder tote and we certainly don't want to lug that around.

This stinks.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
AA at JFK took me to task a few years ago with my Kirkland rollaboard that was 23 inches with wheels (22 inches without). No way in the world the gate agent there was going to let me carry it on even though it fit wheels-first in every aircraft in their fleet. I now have a smaller bag for domestic trips that is under 22 inches, and check my 23 inch bag for international (and so far it hasn't gone missing). Alaska is just late to the gate on overhead baggage limitations. Both AA and UA have the 22 inch limitation.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Thumbs down QX enforcing sizer on a Q400

”enforcing IATA standard at the gate”

my 22x14x9 standard Tumi rollaboard w a green “A La Cart” tag failed, and the GA did not care that it was going on the cart anyway

”anything that goes on the cart is a carry-on, and if it’s too big for a carry-on it’s automatically a checked bag”

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 4, 2018 at 8:54 am
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767

that, I think, is part of the issue: bags are supposed to go on edge in the new bins on the 738/739
It fits that way too! The only AS plane it doesn't fit on is the 700 with the smaller bins
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Sizer Availability

Originally Posted by jrl767
”enforcing IATA standard at the gate”

my 22x14x9 standard Tumi rollaboard w a green “A La Cart” tag failed...
So now, being the effective date of the new baggage size, is the new sizer already available at gates and at airport ticketing/check-in?

Jiburi
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AS
According to jrl767, IATA standard being enforced today at gates. "if it is too bag for a carry-on it's automatically a checked bag".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.