Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Carry-on baggage size reduction eff 6/4/18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Carry-on baggage size reduction eff 6/4/18

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Perhaps they'll start enforcing carry on rules in general. You can't get a baggage Guarantee with a carry on My bag rides in the Cargo Hold 99.5% of the time.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
I just hate the fact that my legal carry-on just became illegal due to the soft handle. I guess it isn't too bad for me, i have a bag from a crew store and it has a crew tag. Seems GAs on other carriers have turned a blind eye when others around me had to prove their size in a sizer.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Wonder how closely this will be enforced? Its a bummer my bag is 22.7' x 14.7” x 9.6”... just over...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by CDKing
I just hate the fact that my legal carry-on just became illegal due to the soft handle. I guess it isn't too bad for me, i have a bag from a crew store and it has a crew tag. Seems GAs on other carriers have turned a blind eye when others around me had to prove their size in a sizer.
Like the crews who bring four pieces of luggage with them and then store them over row 1?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Are there people who have slightly larger carry on luggage that they only use when flying Southwest?

Is anyone going to have to retire luggage that fit the old Alaska requirements but not the new ones?
I have 4 different bags that get used as my carry-on, depending on my needs for the trip. One was right at the edge for the old policy, two are at the edge for the new policy, and one is very comfortably within it. I suspect I'll keep using the two middle ones, and risk being called out if I'm packing tightly.

That big one will become a checked bag only. (AKA my designated WN carry-on bag. You know, for the handful of times per decade I find myself on WN.)
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Exactly matches the Tumi International size.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Want to test that theory? I invite others to add.

British Airways carry-on size: 22x18x10 inches
JAL: 22x16x10 inches
A good resource for worldwide sizes

https://www.carryonbagsizes.com/

Hainan is still a little bigger than AS- 22 x 16 x 8
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by lalala
Like the crews who bring four pieces of luggage with them and then store them over row 1?
YES
And this is happening even though there is a sign indicating that this bin for use by the bulkhead passengers only. Once had a FA refuse to move her bags and wanted to put my bag overhead in row7. All overhead full in F. I refused and she pulled her bags out , loudly exclaiming "I guess I have to move my bags because First Class thinks they are special". It was a wow moment.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Actually this is driven by IATA. They put out some information last year for smaller carry-on bags. So I believe Alaska caved and went with them. I'll now need to measure my TravelPro, as I believe it still "fits". She's got a LOT of miles on her.

Speaking of carry-on sizes, one partner I won't miss is Air France. Flew Bangkok to Geneva via Paris and got stuck in security in Paris since my carry-on was at 12 kilos, apparently you can only have 5 kilos on flights within Europe. There was even a scale for the bags! The person in the line was adament I go check my bag, even showing my boarding passes and what not. Put a HUGE sticker on my bag with the weight, felt like the walk of shame.

As I was leaving the queue in Paris, I noticed the SkyPriority check-point, and my "DYKWIA" / Ryan Bingham / Super Elite FQTV hit me: use that line. Ripped off that lame weight and proceeded to the line. I whipped out my Delta SkyPesos Gold Card, walked right thru and NO questions asked about my bag.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
As I was leaving the queue in Paris, I noticed the SkyPriority check-point, and my "DYKWIA" / Ryan Bingham / Super Elite FQTV hit me: use that line. Ripped off that lame weight and proceeded to the line. I whipped out my Delta SkyPesos Gold Card, walked right thru and NO questions asked about my bag.
I noticed lots of carryons tagged with the weight on KLM during my last trip as well but checking in as business/Sky Priority, no one ever mentioned anything about weighing my carryon.

I wonder how forceful AS agents will be about using the sizer now.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Actually this is driven by IATA. They put out some information last year for smaller carry-on bags. So I believe Alaska caved and went with them. I'll now need to measure my TravelPro, as I believe it still "fits". She's got a LOT of miles on her..
Not really, There was a proposal from IATA in 2015 for a ridiculously small cabin bag size, which met with howls of protest from airlines and passengers and it never moved beyond the stupid idea stage.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_luggage

Quote "In 2015 the IATA made an effort to introduce a common smaller size for cabin luggage by introducing the "IATA Cabin OK" logo. Major airlines have expressed their interest to accept luggage of that size on their flights. This is specified as 55 x 35 x 20 cm (or 21.5 x 13.5 x 7.5 inches). There were {sic} news that the move was backed by nine airlines including Lufthansa, Emirates and Qatar Airlines. The new size restrictions were criticized widely with the introduction program to be put on hold a few days later. Consequently none of the mentioned airlines has introduced the new format (by April 2016)."
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:05 pm

But 22 x 14 x 9 are pretty much the new sizes though, pushed by IATA.

(wikipedia isn't current).
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Ok, didn't know there was a newer recommendation from IATA. Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
But 22 x 14 x 9 are pretty much the new sizes though, pushed by IATA.

(wikipedia isn't current).
All I can find just quickly looking on IATA's official website are the below excerpts regarding hand baggage:

IATA - Checking in a bag
How many pieces of cabin baggage can I carry on?
Carry-on baggage must be stowed in the aircraft cabin which limits baggage to a size, weight and shape to fit under a passenger seat or in a storage compartment. Cabin baggage should have maximum length of 22 in (56 cm), width of 18 in (45 cm) and depth of 10 in (25 cm). These dimensions include wheels, handles, side pockets, etc. Baggage allowed onboard may vary from one to two pieces per passenger. Check with your airline as to what is allowed.
Cabin Baggage
Airlines set cabin baggage rules in order to comply with space at disposal in the aircraft and as a matter of commercial policy.

Carry-on baggage must be stowed in the cabin, which limits baggage to a size, weight and shape to fit under a passenger seat, or in a storage compartment. Some aircraft have very limited cabin baggage space, and even on larger aircraft, your bag may be taken from you. .

If you are changing carriers during your journey you may be asked to check some of your cabin baggage as each airline will apply their own policy to the their own flights. It is worth checking with your airline(s) before you travel as to their policies.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:40 pm

I'll ask around for the latest directive at the next meeting, which is later this month (actually will be there just before the #VXFarewell DO flight...)

but we had a follow-up notice go out. The first one, which timfountain mentioned, was shot down by a lot of airlines, including WestJet. But what's interesting is seeing the # of airlines starting to move in that direction.

Even Spirit has went with a more 'restrictive' baggage allowance - IATA recommends 23 kg, while Spirit is only at 20 kg, for checked luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.