Wiki Posts
Search

Is This Award Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Is This Award Worth It?

I was surprised when I found business class availability to go from Colombo, Sri Lanka to HKG on CX in J. Then when the agent said it was 30,000 Miles I was surprised as I thought it was 22,500. But apparently Colombo is considered the Middle East, even though longer flights within SE Asia and Asia are only 22,500 in J. So it got me wondering if it’s even worth it to redeem this. Maybe I will match it up with an itinerary back to the states, its only another 40,000.

But what do people think? Is redeeming this specific award from CMB-HKG worth the 30,000 miles?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
The CX fare in J is around $725 one-way, so it's a 2 cents/mile redemption.

If saving the 30k and combining for a better maximized award is a possibility, I'd do that, but only you can answer that question.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Probably depends on what aircraft this is on.. I've heard people complain that the intra-asia CX flights, if on the 777 are not really all that nice, and is akin to domestic US first cabins and service.. But that award level roughly matches a domestic first flight, so hard to say.. Ultimately up to you, but chiming in with what I've heard.. I'll have a HND > HKG in CX J in late May (connecting to HKG > LAX in F), so I can let you know after that.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:48 am

It depends:
-How much money do you have?
-How many miles do you have?
-Do you need partner eqms to requalify?

You're asking a bunch of people you don't know to answer those highly individualized questions.

My math:
RDMS:
-30,000 redemption plus 6,236 rdms (75K) not earned plus 3,500 AMEX MR (5X * net $700) not earned vs buying CX fare = 39,736 redemption cost of miles/MR
-$726 CX business class fare less approximate $26 taxes and fees for redemption = $700 net incremental cost of purchasing ticket
-$700/39,736 = 1.76 cents per mile redemption value
EQMS:
-3,118 with 25% COS bonus
-$700 net cost
-$700/3,118 = 22.45 cents per eqm

I won't redeem for 1.76 cents per rdm valuation. I only redeem for international premium awards and try to get at least 3 cents per rdm. I would purchase in this case.
On the other hand, I would not purchase solely for earning eqms - I try to get under 10 cents per eqm.

What are your thresholds?
UAPremierExec and flatdawgs like this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Probably depends on what aircraft this is on.. I've heard people complain that the intra-asia CX flights, if on the 777 are not really all that nice, and is akin to domestic US first cabins and service.. But that award level roughly matches a domestic first flight, so hard to say.. Ultimately up to you, but chiming in with what I've heard.. I'll have a HND > HKG in CX J in late May (connecting to HKG > LAX in F), so I can let you know after that.
It depends on the specific aircraft, not the aircraft type. Both the A330 and the 777 have international and regional configuration. Also, these flights are always prone to last minute equipment swaps would could change the configuration.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
For a 7 hour flight? Absolutely worth it.. I just did HKG MLE and it had the fully flat J product. Definitely worth the 30k if it’s that same product.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
For a 7 hour flight? Absolutely worth it.. I just did HKG MLE and it had the fully flat J product. Definitely worth the 30k if it’s that same product.
Agreed, but this one's just over 5hr on an A330 that often flies with the regional J. YMMV.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
I think it is a good deal, but I personally would pay cash as ~$700 for 7 hr flight in CX J is also a good deal. I like to use miles for flights that are out of my price range (like CX TPAC flights in J/F).

So basically, it comes down to which “currency” you prefer to use.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I've flown this flight in reverse in J and while it was nice, it felt 'short.'

The crew was great and I slept most of the flight after sitting in the pier for 6 hours in the afternoon.

It seems it's 40k on AA now, so a good value when comparing.

If you are mile rich, i think it's an easy decision.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Probably depends on what aircraft this is on.. I've heard people complain that the intra-asia CX flights, if on the 777 are not really all that nice, and is akin to domestic US first cabins and service.
The seats on CX intra-asia flights are significantly better than domestic first on AS. I've only flown their A330 and 777 intra-Asia, but both are much much more comfortable. Hell, just the fact that the seats are in a shell instead of reclining into the person behind you makes them infinitely better. Service is hit or miss, but usually better than most domestic service I've ever had.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by quemalo
The seats on CX intra-asia flights are significantly better than domestic first on AS. I've only flown their A330 and 777 intra-Asia, but both are much much more comfortable. Hell, just the fact that the seats are in a shell instead of reclining into the person behind you makes them infinitely better. Service is hit or miss, but usually better than most domestic service I've ever had.
Yah I agree. Did HKG-NRT-HKG in J on the 777. While it was no CX F, it was still pretty damn decent. The cabin was only half full too on the southbound flight, so I had both window and aisle seat to myself, which is extremely nice. The northbound flight was very full and I was put in a bulkhead aisle seat (on the 3 in the middle), but it wasn't bad. As far as comparing it to domestic F, it is clearly better than AS, and probably a little better than VX.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I appreciate everybody’s feedback, especially UAPremier’s break down.

I had already booked first class KE to get back to the states out of HKG, and I’ve never been on KE F while I’ve been on CX F over a dozen times. I’ll have to think about it. Thanks everyone for the feedback but I was just wondering what everyone thought of this redemption as it’s probably one of the worst use of AS miles after thinking about it. I have around 200k AS miles (with the redemption) but like to save up for EK F awards.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
it’s probably one of the worst use of AS miles after thinking about it.
It's not even close to one of the worst redemptions to get ~1.5-2 CPMish. You can burn AS miles at less than 2 CPM for domestic USA/Hawaii/Mexico coach redemptions pretty much all day across the network, as well as at 1 CPM for $100/200 off a ticket.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
as quickly as FF miles are being generally devalued across all programs, there are few "bad redemptions" any more, particularly if you don't have a relatively short-term (<18 months out) plans for a major high-value redemption.

i've used a lot of miles lately on domestic/regional travel because the opportunity cost of not using them and then seeing them potentially devalued is higher than the potential value i might get from redeeming them for a big international trip in J or F that i might never take or never find the availability for.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
as quickly as FF miles are being generally devalued across all programs, there are few "bad redemptions" any more, particularly if you don't have a relatively short-term (<18 months out) plans for a major high-value redemption.

i've used a lot of miles lately on domestic/regional travel because the opportunity cost of not using them and then seeing them potentially devalued is higher than the potential value i might get from redeeming them for a big international trip in J or F that i might never take or never find the availability for.
Agree, although we would all like to get high value, as long as your cost to acquire the miles, maybe you purchased for 2.0 cents during an Alaska buy miles sale, or you signed up for credit cards or flew to earn miles, you have to realize that miles continually devalue and the redemption using them will cost more in the future. Unless you have a short term redemption you are saving for, anything 2.0 cents and over should be a spend.

So if you are happy spending say $600 for CMB-HKG then great, spend the miles, you are saving over $100! In another thread the other day I see people are happy redeeming $500 NYC-LAX flights for 25k miles, when paid lie flats can be had for just over $500.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.