Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX First Switched to AS Catering (Late March, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VX First Switched to AS Catering (Late March, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by ptownca
Lots of folks like to point at VX lack of profits as some sort indictment of VX management.

However, some context needs to be pointed out.

VS launched in the depths of the 2008 recession, after having fought for months if not years to obtain an operating certificate, which was opposed by all the incumbents. Possibly one of the worst times to launch an airline in the past 50 years.
Yet they did - they launched an airline, despite the economy. That was one bad decision. Then they added only markets that were nearly completely saturated and sold tickets because they offered rock bottom basement fares that other airlines were forced to match. They only started making money when fuel costs decreased substantially. Their BOD knew when enough was enough and when it was time to cut their losses and that's what they did.

Unlike AS, VX did not have a fortress hub like SEA for AS.
Alaska doesn't have a fortress hub either. Just over 50% of SEA does not a fortress hub make. You want to see a fortress hub go to DTW, ATL, SLC, DFW, IAH. Those are fortress hubs.

Unlike, AS, VX provided a lot real genuine innovation to make flying better for the average flyer and elite both.
aside from at seat ordering and "mood lighting" what did Virgin do that "made flying better" for the average flyer? They didnt do anything for elites - you couldn't upgrade to First Class and their frequent flyer program was lame.

Regretfully, the current airline environment is mostly a race to the bottom. VX never played that game. VX has become, like Midwest Express and others, those who tried mightily to make flying better for the passenger added to the dustbin of history. I hope the next disruptive airline fares better.
The current airline environment was not born by the airlines, it was created because fliers demanded lower and lower airfares. Virgin was trying to buck the trend but found out that the general public doesn't want to pay anymore for the extras they were providing.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Talking

Well, I remember my last flight in AS F which was a greasy chicken entree which would not pass muster in AF Y international.

I'm lucky to have escaped the PNW for BOS where I now have B6 Mint which is awesome.

Had I stayed in SF, me being a VX loyalist, I would have definitely switched to one of the majors, most likely DL, just knowing the AS experience was a huge downgrade from VX.

VX made flying fun again.
I disappeared from this thread to take another set of VX flights (SFO-LAS) -- while waiting at baggage claim at LAS, a B6 employee and I chatted for a while about their temporary SFO-LAS service last year (which I would have taken in a heartbeat over any other airline, even being chained to DL -- no fun being with them in a non-focus region). At one point, an AS/VX employee walked by with some card on their lanyard encouraging people to sign up for AS Mileage Plan. I said, that's interesting -- are people from VX not signing up? The answer was a quick NO as the person walked away. The B6 employee and I looked at each other and raised our eyebrows in unison -- and then B6 said, "well, we're not going anywhere!"

(This was my first FlyerTalk OP after lurking for eons. I think I'll wander over to more familiar DL territory and post something less controversial like my latest gluten-free meal, lol)
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:41 am

Why would they care about VX people specifically signing up for Mileage Plan, when Elevate accounts were simply migrated over anyway at the beginning of this year.

If anything that was probably aimed at the general public.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Yet they did - they launched an airline, despite the economy. That was one bad decision. Then they added only markets that were nearly completely saturated and sold tickets because they offered rock bottom basement fares that other airlines were forced to match. They only started making money when fuel costs decreased substantially. Their BOD knew when enough was enough and when it was time to cut their losses and that's what they did.
Cut their losses at a $340 million profit - LOL

In its day, AS was a cut above the other domestic carriers, but that was a long time again. I think AS has done a great job of adapting and staying relevant in a difficult environment over the decades.

VX did a good job making the experience a bit better and different as did B6. Its F product definitely was a cut above what you can get outside of TCons. I certainly didn't find VX F fares cheap, and to your point, I often choose less expensive F fares on blah domestic airlines.

Time will tell if the VX acquisition works for AS or if it becomes like the AA purchase of Air Cal and Reno Air and USAir's purchase of PSA, where the networks the airlines acquired basically melted away, which in the case of AS will have really just cleaned the deck for UA at SFO.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Why would they care about VX people specifically signing up for Mileage Plan, when Elevate accounts were simply migrated over anyway at the beginning of this year.

If anything that was probably aimed at the general public.
I don't know -- the person gave me a few seconds to read the card, and it was in the hybrid AS/VX color scheme and said something along the lines of "stay loyal and be rewarded"

I already had a Mileage Plan account. During the switch they made another one with my VX login. Never activated (used?) that one. I'm sure they're looking at whether people are actually booking flights with their new numbers.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Cut their losses at a $340 million profit - LOL

In its day, AS was a cut above the other domestic carriers, but that was a long time again. I think AS has done a great job of adapting and staying relevant in a difficult environment over the decades.

VX did a good job making the experience a bit better and different as did B6. Its F product definitely was a cut above what you can get outside of TCons. I certainly didn't find VX F fares cheap, and to your point, I often choose less expensive F fares on blah domestic airlines.

Time will tell if the VX acquisition works for AS or if it becomes like the AA purchase of Air Cal and Reno Air and USAir's purchase of PSA, where the networks the airlines acquired basically melted away, which in the case of AS will have really just cleaned the deck for UA at SFO.
Aiiieeee that would be my personal nightmare -- UA already has 44% of the gates at SFO. I hope DL would take advantage of something like that ^^ and sneak in. With the current T1/T2 post-security connector straight to DL-only gates and current bleed between the two terminals with AA, there could be an opportunity. (There isn't a T2/T3 connector...yet)
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mte401
Aiiieeee that would be my personal nightmare -- UA already has 44% of the gates at SFO. I hope DL would take advantage of something like that ^^ and sneak in. With the current T1/T2 post-security connector straight to DL-only gates and current bleed between the two terminals with AA, there could be an opportunity. (There isn't a T2/T3 connector...yet)

I think it's pretty clear -- AA is going to focus on LAX and PHX in the West, DL has SEA, SLC and a focus at LAX. SFO has competition from both OAK and SJC. I think any expansion by AA or DL in the Bay Area will be increasing hub flights to SJC and maybe OAK. SFO will be left to UA and whatever AS does with it.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mrkymark
Oh wow that is a cute salt shaker! Anyone have one?
I have a fleet of six hangared in my dining room. PM me if you want one.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
I think it's pretty clear -- AA is going to focus on LAX and PHX in the West, DL has SEA, SLC and a focus at LAX. SFO has competition from both OAK and SJC. I think any expansion by AA or DL in the Bay Area will be increasing hub flights to SJC and maybe OAK. SFO will be left to UA and whatever AS does with it.
As much as I would love for AA or DL to expand at SFO, I just don't see it happening for the reasons you've outlined. I agree expansion at SJC is more likely at this point.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
aside from at seat ordering and "mood lighting" what did Virgin do that "made flying better" for the average flyer? They didnt do anything for elites - you couldn't upgrade to First Class and their frequent flyer program was lame.
VX was the first domestic carrier to have fleet-wide WiFi. They were also the first to have electrical outlets at all seats.

VX's first class product at launch was light years ahead of the competition. Nobody had recliner seats with that much leg room on transcons, and the legacy carriers were forced to upgrade their product in order to keep their customers. It's true that VX did not, in turn upgrade their own F seating, but it's unfair to say they didn't upend the market with their product offerings.
ptownca and flyertalker003934 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS
We are flying VX on Thursday in F.
First time since the apparent AS changes.. Curious to see if any of the things we valued on VX will still be there. i know it really is AS, but was hoping it would not completely change until after April 25th. Will report back.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by pcoll
We are flying VX on Thursday in F.
First time since the apparent AS changes.. Curious to see if any of the things we valued on VX will still be there. i know it really is AS, but was hoping it would not completely change until after April 25th. Will report back.
Set your expectations low, but it really depends on what you "valued". Red has been gutted, catering has as well and those poor seats haven't seen a maintenance person in months...
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Set your expectations low, but it really depends on what you "valued". Red has been gutted, catering has as well and those poor seats haven't seen a maintenance person in months...
Thanks for the heads up. The catering was the big draw for us . Already experienced the poorly maintained seats.
Since there are Many AS flights on the LAX/SEA run to choose from, VX metal will no longer be a factor.
As soon as we could credit our miles to AS, we jumped over to VX. Now, going forward it may all be a draw. I guess schedule will now be the driver for flight choice.
I guess no more chocolate chip cookies after meal?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Thanks for the heads up. The catering was the big draw for us . Already experienced the poorly maintained seats.
Since there are Many AS flights on the LAX/SEA run to choose from, VX metal will no longer be a factor.
As soon as we could credit our miles to AS, we jumped over to VX. Now, going forward it may all be a draw. I guess schedule will now be the driver for flight choice.
I guess no more chocolate chip cookies after meal?
the Red system alone is reason enough to choose VX over AS. The Live TV isn’t a great loss to me since I never used it, though I do miss the music selection. And the seats may be worn, but they still have 55” pitch.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd

the Red system alone is reason enough to choose VX over AS. The Live TV isn’t a great loss to me since I never used it, though I do miss the music selection. And the seats may be worn, but they still have 55” pitch.
I agree with you about overall comfort. UA flies the CR7, AA the E175, DL the 737. No one on that route is going to beat the AS Airbus, at least while those seats are still flying, which will be for quite awhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.