Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX First Switched to AS Catering (Late March, 2018)

Old Mar 27, 18, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/PM, AS MVPG75K, Hertz Pres Circle, AA Plat/UA "Premier Emeritus"

Earlier today, I flew SEA-SFO on VX -- decided to upgrade from MCS for $70 because I was hungry and wanted lunch. Little did I know:

The "Protein Plate", with a piece of cheese hidden under the pita bread. Was this supposed to be a spa meal?

The other choice was a chicken salad. We had a plastic cup of nuts just prior, and one Seattle Chocolates truffle for dessert.

Afterwards, I felt a bit confused...this didn't appear to be typical VX First catering. And I was still hungry, so I asked about snacks -- those were just discontinued. Well, could I get one of the snack boxes from Economy Main Cabin, then? Nope, no longer allowed...

Apparently this was the week that VX switched to AS catering. How embarrassing...to think I could have stayed in MCS and piled up on as many snacks as I wanted. Never thought I'd see the day that I would miss DL's ultra-beige meal on their A320 service (tan bratwurst, tan potatoes, tan potato soup, beige macaroons. Lather, rinse, repeat every few months).

AS gave me MVP G75 as a status match from DL. (Hadn't flown them since the days they snuck Bible verses on meal trays!) So far, I'm really not impressed. Definitely not worth paying for upgrades on short-haul flights anymore, if this meal is any indication...never mind seat pockets filled with trash from a prior flight, no blankets/pillows, and a half-broken seat...

You know, with only a few more weeks before they retire the brand...how hard is it to keep the same quality of food and snacks until then? I didn't pay for the Alaska experience. Or maybe I did, and have been warned.
Old Mar 28, 18, 12:29 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
At least you got the cool little salt shaker.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 28, 18, 1:56 am

Itís the new menu, which is probably intended to be a middle ground between AS and VX catering.
At least there is now a meal choice and warm mixed nuts to start. Anyway, itís little more than a 90 minute flight, so this is pretty good compared to most of the legacies on a flight of similar length.
Old Mar 28, 18, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Its SEA-SFO not SEA to China what do you expect?
FluxTZ likes this.
Old Mar 28, 18, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
What did VX serve on that route?
Old Mar 28, 18, 8:11 am

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire, CET 7*
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Somewhat hilariously, the exact same thing. At least it was called the same thing.

However, it looked nothing like AS' protein plate, that's for sure. It's definitely a big downgrade from the one they used to serve on VX:

Roasted Chicken Salad
Herb roasted chicken breast, arugula, shaved fennel, marinated gold and chiogga beets, Persian cucumbers, and fresh dill. Served with toasted walnuts, feta cheese, and honey orange sumac vinaigrette.
Contains poultry, optional nuts and dairy

Protein Plate
Camembert and gouda cheese, cage free hardboiled egg, stuffed grape leaves, dried fruit, sliced red bell peppers and radish, grapes, and roasted tomato. Served with mixed nuts, butternut squash hummus, and mini wheat pitas.
Contains egg, dairy, optional nuts, and wheat

Snacks Anytime
Top Shelf Bites
Nibble on a spread of delectable Dean & Deluca snacks throughout the flight
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 28, 18, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/PM, AS MVPG75K, Hertz Pres Circle, AA Plat/UA "Premier Emeritus"
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post

It's been a while since I flew VX on that route, but remembered a hot meal. Found a menu from mid 2017. The meal itself definitely appears to be that happy medium described above (well, except the veggies were dried out -- there wasn't enough hummus to revive the dead carrot and radish). Zero snacks, however, which was a big thumbs down. Made a beeline for a real meal minutes after deplaning.

The FA was pretty sad about all of this -- along the lines of, I get they need to make a profit, but we worked hard to build this culture and a premium brand...
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 28, 18, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Can we please stop this....VX is dead and gone. These endless comparisons between the old VX and Alaska are pretty meaningless. I loved the food on TWA too, but what does it matter? If you want to compare, lets do it between actual existing airlines.
lalala, LIH Prem, Seat 2A and 12 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 18, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
a lot better than you would have received on UA
Old Mar 28, 18, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
a lot better than you would have received on UA
That's scary!

And as someone who has not flown either airline much recently, I'm not here to compare. The reality is, if AS wants to poach and keep DL elites, they're not doing a great job. The food was just one part of a blander, confused experience. The outbound flight had four gate changes and 10 emails, many of which reported a change 30 minutes after the fact. Yesterday, I was put on hold for 90 minutes to try and change a flight that I couldn't do online -- then was hung up on. Tried again, gave up after an hour. The next call was transferred to AS, who said they didn't think it was worth having a separate phone line for anyone who booked in MCS or First on Virgin. I was like, guess the 2-3 hours I wasted wasn't worth it either :P

Their transition is messy in more ways than one. I don't remember it being this chaotic with DL/NW.
Old Mar 28, 18, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
DL/NW was fun with the all the different configs of the same plane type. Bumps or squeezed into a middle seat in the back because your seat didn't exist anymore. Sounds like transfers from VX to AS went to a normal call queue so no 75K priority.
Old Mar 28, 18, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't get the frustration that I've seen on the board recently with regard to first class meals. It seems like many people are highly upset about things that I would consider minor. SFO-SEA is a 90 Minute flight. Why do you need so much food for a flight of that length? In my experience on flights of that length, depending on the FA, they don't even get everything plated and served in 60 minutes. We can talk about DL all we want but just last year I flew a SNA-SEA DL fight (2.5 hours) in first and only got offered the snack basket.

I travel international business and first frequently, let alone a quick AS or DL flight, and the amount of meals that are better then a decent restaurant on the ground are minuscule.
Calculon likes this.
Old Mar 28, 18, 6:40 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by nrunning24 View Post
We can talk about DL all we want but just last year I flew a SNA-SEA DL fight (2.5 hours) in first and only got offered the snack basket.
This flight qualifies for a meal on DL (over 900 miles), but it appears you flew the 1 out of 5 daily flights that departs outside of a meal window. Also, despite SFO-SEA being under the 900 mile threshold, DL serves meals on this route for flights that depart within the meal windows.

Last edited by LBJ; Mar 28, 18 at 6:53 pm
Old Mar 28, 18, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iíve had some pretty tasty meals on AS. But on SFO-SEA I donít expect much. And as an ex UA flyer who suffered through that merger, this one is a breeze so far. So, VX is going away and the transition is well underway. So to all the ex VX flyer, you would be well served to stop comparing and complaining that AS is destroying your airline and send suggestions to AS. Anything else is fruitless. UA became Continental rebranded so I feel your pain as I was a UA flyer. Only thing I got to keep was the name. VX is going away and there really isnít much you can do about it.
Old Mar 28, 18, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
This flight qualifies for a meal on DL (over 900 miles), but it appears you flew the 1 out of 5 daily flights that departs outside of a meal window. Also, despite SFO-SEA being under the 900 mile threshold, DL serves meals on this route for flights that depart within the meal windows.
Flew SAN-SLC on Delta during lunch time in F, and all they offered was a drink and a single pass of the snack basket. 626 Miles. The seats on the 738 were comfortable but cramped. Reminiscent of the AS 734 or other pre-reconfiguration F. Love the seat back IFE, but otherwise was nothing to write home about.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: