Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel on Hainan Airlines (HU)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Award Travel on Hainan Airlines (HU)

I have an upcoming trip on Hainan Airlines booked with Alaska miles and have a few questions that I hope someone here might have the answer to. Our award travel starts with a Horizon shuttle flight from PDX-SEA and then we have business class on Hainan airlines from SEA to Shanghai.

Baggage: My understanding is that we should be able to check our bags through from our initial check in at PDX with Alaska. Has anyone had a different experience?

Boarding Passes: Any idea if Alaska will be able to issue our boarding passes for Hainan when we check in for the Horizon flight at PDX? I'm doubtful that I'll be able to check in online as the Hainan website doesn't seem to recognize my reservation and I've had to call in for other things (eg, picking seats)

Lounge Access: Since our initial flight out of PDX is on one of the old Horizon planes with no first class, I'm guessing that we won't have lounge access at PDX? Or will we still have access since we're continuing on to an international business class flight on an Alaska award? In SEA, I'm assuming that we will have lounge access through Hainan. Any idea what lounge they use in Seattle? I don't think they have their own there...

Limo Service: It looks like Hainan airlines provides free limo service at arrival on C, D, Z, and I class tickets. Anyone have any idea of what class tickets Alaska business awards generally equate to? Or where I can find that information out?

Thanks for any input you might have. I've never flown Hainan airlines and I haven't been able to find as much information about them in the forums as exists for some of the other Asian airlines, such as Cathay Pacific
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by osubeavers01
Lounge Access: Since our initial flight out of PDX is on one of the old Horizon planes with no first class, I'm guessing that we won't have lounge access at PDX? Or will we still have access since we're continuing on to an international business class flight on an Alaska award? In SEA, I'm assuming that we will have lounge access through Hainan. Any idea what lounge they use in Seattle? I don't think they have their own there...
Unfortunately that's correct. If you can find A space (saver F award) on one of the 737 or E175 PDX-SEA shuttles, you'll get lounge access to Alaska Lounge on both sides. No clue as to what Hainan uses for lounge at SEA.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
I have an upcoming trip on Hainan Airlines booked with Alaska miles and have a few questions that I hope someone here might have the answer to. Our award travel starts with a Horizon shuttle flight from PDX-SEA and then we have business class on Hainan airlines from SEA to Shanghai.

Baggage: My understanding is that we should be able to check our bags through from our initial check in at PDX with Alaska. Has anyone had a different experience?

Boarding Passes: Any idea if Alaska will be able to issue our boarding passes for Hainan when we check in for the Horizon flight at PDX? I'm doubtful that I'll be able to check in online as the Hainan website doesn't seem to recognize my reservation and I've had to call in for other things (eg, picking seats)

Limo Service: It looks like Hainan airlines provides free limo service at arrival on C, D, Z, and I class tickets. Anyone have any idea of what class tickets Alaska business awards generally equate to? Or where I can find that information out?

Thanks for any input you might have. I've never flown Hainan airlines and I haven't been able to find as much information about them in the forums as exists for some of the other Asian airlines, such as Cathay Pacific

Baggage: yes, 99% of the time you're on the same ticket, you will have your bags checked to your destination.

Alaska will issue all boarding passes. But last time I flew PUW-SEA-PEK, Alaska printed all boarding passes in PUW. But then Hainan paged me at the gate to give me one of their boarding passes with a DOCS OK stamp on it.

You will not have lounge access at PDX unless you're in F on the 175 or 737 service. You will use The Club at SEA which is usually right next to the gate HU uses at the S terminal.

I feel like I remember that HU doesn't offer limo service for awards, but I can't find the place I read that. Give them a call and ask. They have a form you have to fill out and email to them a few days prior to departure.

Have a good flight. I really enjoyed Hainan in Y last time I flew them - the service was better than AA, but not quite as nice as JAL or CX.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
We flew SEA-PEK last year on Hainan (in business class; very nice); we were allowed to use the BA "Terraces" lounge in Seattle; both it and THE Club at SEA are listed on HU's site. I can't speak to the Seattle location for THE Club, but the one in San Jose is quite nice and they let us in as an arrivals lounge following an ANA flight from NRT, which was probably not required.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, Southwest A-List, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott/SPG Platinum
My award tickets on Hainan for October of last year booked into J class and I was told by Hainan that limo service was not included for award tickets. BTW, my Hainan experience onboard actually exceeded my Cathay Pacific experience in nearly all facets - I hope yours is equally enjoyable.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:33 pm

Question to anyone has experience booking award seats with Hainan. I need to book 3 business class in June for PEK-ORD. I was able to only book 2 seats. It shows no more business class seats on Alaska site, only coach seats, after I booked. Do they usually only limit to 2 business class award seats? If not, will they release more business class seats closer to the date? Thanks!
Old May 2, 2018, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
As a follow up, Alaska was able to check our bags clear through to Shanghai from PDX, but the Alaska desk wasn't able to print our boarding passes for the Hainan flight. When we got to SEA, it was super easy to get our boarding pass from the gate though and they gave us passes to the Club at the same time. It's only a few gates down from our boarding gate (S satellite), so right now we're enjoying snacks and drinks before we depart. We had also checked in on the limo service and sadly, it was a no-go with award flights, so we arranged transportation through our hotel, instead.
AKLifetimeFlyer and flatdawgs like this.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
We had also checked in on the limo service and sadly, it was a no-go with award flights, so we arranged transportation through our hotel, instead.
It was never available with awards and they recently discontinued it on the cheapest J fares
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Do they add anymore award seats or once the 2 or 4 J seats are booked, it's done?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that Hainan earns pretty well in business, they have lots of cheap fares, and the large fuel surcharges that get added on, Hainan redemptions seem like a pretty poor value overall.

If you can buy a fare for $2200, and it will earn 50k miles, and that same ticket is 100k miles + $600 in fees... you are trading 150k miles for $1600. That's just a little over 1c per mile, not even thinking about the EQM.

I am looking forward to flying them, but as revenue tickets.

The nice thing (mentioned on another thread) is that any connection in China books into C (even for a cheap I or R fare) so that portion if your trip earns 250% EQM and 350% + elite bonus RDM. Plus the limo service will save you a few bucks.

I guess my advice here is... if you are considering an HU redemption, price out the revenue ticket on ITA or something and see if you're actually getting a good deal.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Do they add anymore award seats or once the 2 or 4 J seats are booked, it's done?
Once the seats are booked it’s done. I asked multiple Alaska partner desk folks and several Hainan folks as well: all the same answer. And, apparently there’s no way to upgrade if there is coach availability.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Thanks!! That's good to know, interesting there's no Revenue Management on it if seats go unsold!
DrAlex likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
As part of a transpac J award, I'm staring down 4 hours in intra-Asia coach when the flight is still showing C4.... It's just a 737, but would love to be up front since we're already paying for it with the J award.

Has anyone figured out any way to upgrade HU within Asia, including by cash at airport, etc.?

It's also strange that the AS site is showing a "first class" award availability for a single segment, with "mixed cabin" availability only in coach. (See image.)
Attached Images  

Last edited by soartoday; Feb 13, 2019 at 1:18 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Anyone have any insight into why I can’t see availability on HU7929 (PEK - HKT)? I’m looking around mid December so maybe it’s just Christmas rush but I tried some other sample dates and can’t see anything. I also tried PEK - BKK as well as HAK - BKK both of which Hainan flies. Is it just something about Thailand?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by banffflyr
Anyone have any insight into why I can’t see availability on HU7929 (PEK - HKT)? I’m looking around mid December so maybe it’s just Christmas rush but I tried some other sample dates and can’t see anything. I also tried PEK - BKK as well as HAK - BKK both of which Hainan flies. Is it just something about Thailand?
Are you looking at North America to Thailand? If so then looks to be no space on any partner 12/11 - 12/28.
If you are looking at just China > Thailand that's not an award option only China > China for regional awards
Hainan is pretty weak on advance space in general especially not long haul

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 29, 2019 at 11:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.