Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is This YVR Connection Too Tight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
When flying Canada to the US from a preclearance airport, you cant transit. You *have* to enter Canada, recheck in, go thru security (show GE card to use the short lane), then US Customs/Immigration.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by NWplatinum

Are you guys absolutely certain of this? When I did a PEK-YYC-SEA, they wouldn’t let me go through the connection lane because Alaska didn’t have online check in out of YYC so I had to enter Calgary. I was waving my GE CARD everywhere in hopes of cutting any line I could. the Canadian CSBA agent made a point to say “just so you know for the future that card does not work entering Canada. You need Nexus.”

Honestly it is not going to make a big difference. If you have a Canadian or US passport, without GE , Nexus, Canada customers uses the automated kiosk and the lines go quite quickly. (As a side note those boarder kiosk systems were designed by the Vancouver airport, they have a spin off company that sells them into the other Canadian and US airports).

When you get upstairs at YVR, the CASTA security agent that decided who goes into which queue, if they know your a connecting passenger they move you to one of the fast lanes, I think it is the same lane that the NEXUS passengers go into. Point out to them that your connecting, you should be happy with the outcome.

In YYC most of the WestJet domestic gates are at the opposite end of the airport from the international concourse. Don't try to walk it, it is a long walk. Grab one of the link people shuttle. They look weird, but they are quite effective.

Many Canadian airports, including Calgary, have separate International concourses. Going from domestic to international they will want to see a boarding pass or a copy of your itinerary showing you on the International flight. WestJet will probably print your HU boarding pass, but I would bring a printout of the itinerary just in case you have to pickup the HU boarding pass at the gate.

Last edited by Fiordland; Mar 15, 2018 at 12:17 am
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Plenty of time in Calgary. It’s YVR I’m worried about. I have to count on the AS Flight to YVR to be on time, and I have to count on me making the westjet Flight.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Honestly it is not going to make a big difference. If you have a Canadian or US passport, without GE , Nexus, Canada customers uses the automated kiosk and the lines go quite quickly. (As a side note those boarder kiosk systems were designed by the Vancouver airport, they have a spin off company that sells them into the other Canadian and US airports).

When you get upstairs at YVR, the CASTA security agent that decided who goes into which queue, if they know your a connecting passenger they move you to one of the fast lanes, I think it is the same lane that the NEXUS passengers go into. Point out to them that your connecting, you should be happy with the outcome.

In YYC most of the WestJet domestic gates are at the opposite end of the airport from the international concourse. Don't try to walk it, it is a long walk. Grab one of the link people shuttle. They look weird, but they are quite effective.

Many Canadian airports, including Calgary, have separate International concourses. Going from domestic to international they will want to see a boarding pass or a copy of your itinerary showing you on the International flight. WestJet will probably print your HU boarding pass, but I would bring a printout of the itinerary just in case you have to pickup the HU boarding pass at the gate.
sorry I’m a little confused about the instructions regarding all of this. So I’m going to get off the flight from Seattle, enter Canada in the international terminal, then walk to the domestic terminal, then check in and get a boarding pass for my flight to Calgary with WestJet using one of the kiosks which was very easy and quick last time, then go through domestic Canadian security and take the flight or did I miss a step? Am I suppose to go to a connection desk or ask someone for assistance for something? Is getting to the domestic terminal going to be alright?

Many thanks to the Vancouver experts helping me on this one.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:33 am

sorry I’m a little confused about the instructions regarding all of this. So I’m going to get off the flight from Seattle, enter Canada in the international terminal, then walk to the domestic terminal, then check in and get a boarding pass for my flight to Calgary with WestJet using one of the kiosks which was very easy and quick last time, then go through domestic Canadian security and take the flight or did I miss a step? Am I suppose to go to a connection desk or ask someone for assistance for something? Is getting to the domestic terminal going to be alright?

Many thanks to the Vancouver experts helping me on this one.
Both YYC and YVR talk about domestic and US/International terminals. In reality they are different areas of one big building, Pre-security it feels like one big area, post security they segregate the waiting area into domestic, US and international. Similar to Europe or many airports in Asia.

Let me try again

1. Arrive in Canada. If you have NEXUS you can use that, if you don't have NEXUS, but have a CDN or US passport you go to a passport scanning kiosk. That prints your receipt needed to exit customers. Exit customs. If you are use to customs in SEA, you will be surprised how fast this process is.

2. Pickup boarding pass for WestJet. (You can also do this on line).

3. Get into security line for domestic. When you enter this line, if you have NEXUS, or top tier status with WestJet you get put into a fast lane. If you tell the person managing this line you came in from SEA that morning and are making a connection, they will also put you into the same fast lane. You are basically jumping ahead of passengers that are starting their journey in YVR.

At YYC, if you arrive in an A gate (likely for a flight from Vancouver), hop on the link shuttle to take you over to international gates. It is a long walk otherwise. No additional security screening to go from domestic to international, however they will want to see a boarding pass or itinerary showing an international departure from Calgary. Bring a printout of your itinerary.

You can pickup up the boarding pass at the gate if WestJet did not print it out for you in Vancouver.

Last edited by Fiordland; Mar 16, 2018 at 6:45 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Plenty of time in Calgary. It’s YVR I’m worried about. I have to count on the AS Flight to YVR to be on time, and I have to count on me making the westjet Flight.
And how are you going to get to PEK if AS is an hour delayed and you can't check in online for Westjet because of the HU connection? Way too risky for my liking...

I would only do it in the reverse order when my Plan B would be taking the bus down to Seattle or a relatively cheap replacement flight.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
And how are you going to get to PEK if AS is an hour delayed and you can't check in online for Westjet because of the HU connection? Way too risky for my liking...

I would only do it in the reverse order when my Plan B would be taking the bus down to Seattle or a relatively cheap replacement flight.
Indeed you are right. I usually overnight for stuff like this at the Fairmont, but hey gotta live a little.

Thank you with directions above Fiorland! Once I enter past customs into Vancouver and I’m landside in the International terminal, do I have to walk outside to the domestic terminal, and to westjet assuming I can’t obtain the boarding pass online? Or is there some train or an alternative?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Once I enter past customs into Vancouver and I’m landside in the International terminal, do I have to walk outside to the domestic terminal, and to westjet assuming I can’t obtain the boarding pass online? Or is there some train or an alternative?
5-10 minute walk. Out of customs, up the escalator, keep walking. All indoors.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:07 pm

Keep walking upstairs until you see security on your right, domestic lobby is on the left. You've gone too far when you have shops on both sides of you.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Keep walking upstairs until you see security on your right, domestic lobby is on the left. You've gone too far when you have shops on both sides of you.

Yes, as everyone said, it is one connected building, so just up the escalators.

WestJet domestic usually departs from concourse A or B. Air Canada usually departs from concourse C. The entrance UAPremierExec describes is the Concourse C entrance, you can use that one or keep past the shops to the entrance labelled A/B. Both areas are connected air side.

Here is a map if it helps....

Terminal Maps | YVR

Coming in from Alaska on a Q400 it will probably be something like E90-94 or on 737 in the 80s. WestJet Calgary will likely go out from B14-17. You will exist customers on Level 2 (around the totem polls on the map). The escalator there will take you up by the sculpture (green blob).
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:54 pm

QX uses gate 96 for the most part... which will add more to your walking.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you to all that contributed to the directions in helping me. I very much appreciate it.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Just to report back, the connection had plenty of time and was smooth. I even said hello to one of the YVR CBSA agents whose on the show “Border Security: Canada’s Frontline.”

In fact my 11am departure got delayed to 11:30am. Worrying of a misconnect to Beijing, and since I arrived with plenty of time in YVR, Westjet allowed me to take the 10am free of charge.
Moebius and missamo80 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.