Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Pilots informed of quarterly loss & training freeze

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots informed of quarterly loss & training freeze

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
FT is a public forum for which one doesn't even need an account to read (the vast majority of it, including - relevantly - this forum)...
Right, and a forum in which info from internal company profit/loss memos should not be announced prior to an official earnings annoucement
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
As of noon ALK is up 4.5%
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:29 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
Yes that is the definition of insider trading but "tiping" which this would qualify as regardless if it's intentional or not or is acted upon, falls under the realm of insider trading laws.
It may fall under the realm of the topic, but you would be hard pressed to assert / find that leakage of company training plans on a generally publicly readable forum by an employee would qualify as a specific tipping to a particular person who then acted on that information, and thus made the person who posted the info guilty of insider trading.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by TA
It may fall under the realm of the topic, but you would be hard pressed to assert / find that leakage of company training plans on a generally publicly readable forum by an employee would qualify as a specific tipping to a particular person who then acted on that information, and thus made the person who posted the info guilty of insider trading.
Did I ever say a person would be prosecuted? Obviously nothing would happen here legally. I am just casting a potential doubt of information that is normally highly guarded. Im not saying its not true. But make no mistake if the employee revealing this information could be identified (which they wont) they would be instantly fired. By posting this on an open forum the person would lose any defense of no one acting on it.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Nothing new here. Consensus is/has been a first quarter loss of $0.12.
And on the 4Q17/FY17 earnings call, it was disclosed that the expectation was for a 1Q18 loss. This is nothing new.

While it's never good to see a quarterly loss, this was expected; AS is getting intense pricing pressure from DL in SEA, UA in SFO, and pretty much everybody in LAX. No one assumed a larger AS would be welcomed with open arms by their competitors, and this pricing pressure, coupled with high fuel costs, is taking a toll in Q1.

But that also means AS is "only" projecting to grow at just over 4% this year instead of the 6-8% annually it had been doing before the acquisition of VX. Full year pretax profits are still projected to be north of $1B. Advance bookings are strong.

AS isn't going anywhere, and they will continue to grow CA, especially SFO.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:31 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
Did I ever say a person would be prosecuted? Obviously nothing would happen here legally. I am just casting a potential doubt of information that is normally highly guarded. Im not saying its not true. But make no mistake if the employee revealing this information could be identified (which they wont) they would be instantly fired. By posting this on an open forum the person would lose any defense of no one acting on it.
In your post #9 above, you stated that anyone posting such information would be violating SEC insider trading rules. I'm simply responding to that statement, which is not accurate.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
And on the 4Q17/FY17 earnings call, it was disclosed that the expectation was for a 1Q18 loss. This is nothing new.

While it's never good to see a quarterly loss, this was expected; AS is getting intense pricing pressure from DL in SEA, UA in SFO, and pretty much everybody in LAX. No one assumed a larger AS would be welcomed with open arms by their competitors, and this pricing pressure, coupled with high fuel costs, is taking a toll in Q1.

But that also means AS is "only" projecting to grow at just over 4% this year instead of the 6-8% annually it had been doing before the acquisition of VX. Full year pretax profits are still projected to be north of $1B. Advance bookings are strong.

Thank you for such an optimistic post!! I really love AS and they have become my #1 airline of choice domestically. It has actually made flying domestically somewhat fun and tolerable again. So I hope that they will be successful for years and years to come.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Would love it if that were true, but seems very unlikely at this point.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by TA
In your post #9 above, you stated that anyone posting such information would be violating SEC insider trading rules. I'm simply responding to that statement, which is not accurate.
Again, you are taking my definition of insider trading a little too literally. Posting undisclosed financial results on an online message is flat illegal.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:50 pm

What other US airlines are actually reporting a quarterly loss right now? (And that’s not rhetorical...I really don’t know).

But WN is making record profits and United’s investors are already pummeling them for making lower profits and with the fare wars continuing... I can’t imagine AS gets through the next few years unscathed without reducing its overreach at this point. Even if the operation itself sustains, investors won’t much longer. This was the hottest stock pick in the industry a short while ago (before the merger became a mess)...my how that seems to have changed
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
ALK had a decent run today ^
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Economies are cycles, things that go up, go down. This is not unpredictable. Most analysts have predicted a slowdown about now for some time. It has been manipulated a little bit with this tax cut issue.

Add in the revenue changes coming from the Mileage Plan, and the issues in SFO and it makes sense.

All companies have periods of increase and periods of pulling back.

Alaska did eliminate a direct competitor and keep Jet Blue from getting a west coast operation and hub. It accomplished that. We'll see in time where Alaska further grows (it will) and then all will be fine. Pulling back some and concentrating on its traditional core markets is what is best.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
One thing we know, not acquiring VX and allowing it to be bought by Jet Blue would have likely decimated AS.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Alaska did eliminate a direct competitor and keep Jet Blue from getting a west coast operation and hub. It accomplished that.
The problem with that is with other competitors, in competitive markets, you absorb the (massive) cost of killing one competitor without really gaining any significant pricing power. We're seeing the results now - Southwest, United and JetBlue (and everyone else) aren't dealing with digesting a competitor and continue to offer aggressive pricing on almost all significant routes in the west.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
The problem with that is with other competitors, in competitive markets, you absorb the (massive) cost of killing one competitor without really gaining any significant pricing power. We're seeing the results now - Southwest, United and JetBlue (and everyone else) aren't dealing with digesting a competitor and continue to offer aggressive pricing on almost all significant routes in the west.
Exactly and being honest VX was never really a major competitor to AS in the first place so they actually are in the process of eliminating a competitor to the competition which enables these carriers to undercut AS.

AS stock is right back down today as well, so I guess the love the market had yesterday was fleeting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.