Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Hawaii PDB

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The whole POINT of F is that you are not supposed to have to bring your own blankets, pillows, food, and earphones, though. That's supposed to be part of what you get for paying the extra $$$ for F.
I agree! If I was getting upgraded to first class, I wouldn't mind as much as its an upgrade and generally speaking i'm coming out ahead in most circumstances. But when I actually pay for that FC seat, at times as high as 2.5x the prevailing coach rate, I expect things. the ability to get a blanket and a drink while the rest of the plane boards is on that list.

I have done quite a bit of shopping and have ended up with a blanket that rolls up to the size of a can of soda and a neck pillow that also doubles as a hood and sleeping mask. I also bought a very think hoodie which also rolls up to the size of a can of soda. The pillow i strap to the outside of my bag.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
On my flight to hawaii (7am) they offered me a mimosa. I asked if I could get a coffee and baileys. They said, not til after takeoff.

Pretty stingy not to open the bar during boarding IMO. Even AA gave me a PDB. On VX I could usually down 2 (SFO-LAS is short and therefore requires planning)

When I fly Hawaiian FC to/from the islands, I pretty much get whatever I want. I think the biggest detriment to some flights is the single aisle airplanes. With the FC on the Airbus a330's in front of the main boarding doors (or in some circumstances FC having its own entrance) its much easier to serve PDB's. I do notice this on AS, AA, and DL single aisle planes. As coach boards, its physically difficult to do a decent bev service.VX SFO-LAS always kept my pallet wet. though mid afternoon request for hot coffee usually gets looks and "it will take a while to brew a fresh pot."
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by ezmonee
When I fly Hawaiian FC to/from the islands, I pretty much get whatever I want. I think the biggest detriment to some flights is the single aisle airplanes. With the FC on the Airbus a330's in front of the main boarding doors (or in some circumstances FC having its own entrance) its much easier to serve PDB's. I do notice this on AS, AA, and DL single aisle planes. As coach boards, its physically difficult to do a decent bev service.VX SFO-LAS always kept my pallet wet. though mid afternoon request for hot coffee usually gets looks and "it will take a while to brew a fresh pot."
This has been my experience as well. I flew FC to Maui on a DL 757 last year (when I could still credit to AS) and FC is to the left of the boarding door, so the flight attendant could easily pass out the PDB Mai Tai's without having the coach passengers filtering through. Similar experience in HA FC a few years ago as well.

It could also be total coincidence, but being able to have FC truly separated from the rest of the airplane when boarding definitely seems to help logistics for the FA's.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by pbelmore
This has been my experience as well. I flew FC to Maui on a DL 757 last year (when I could still credit to AS) and FC is to the left of the boarding door, so the flight attendant could easily pass out the PDB Mai Tai's without having the coach passengers filtering through. Similar experience in HA FC a few years ago as well.

It could also be total coincidence, but being able to have FC truly separated from the rest of the airplane when boarding definitely seems to help logistics for the FA's.
It isn't coincidence, of course it is easier with fewer people clogging the aisles. Nonetheless, I've been offered a PDB on DL single aisle a/c domestically at least 95% of the time including 737s and Airbii. On AS, my non-bottled water PDB rate is probably 10-15% at best. My bottled water PDB rate isn't even 100%...which is pretty sad.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
It isn't coincidence, of course it is easier with fewer people clogging the aisles. Nonetheless, I've been offered a PDB on DL single aisle a/c domestically at least 95% of the time including 737s and Airbii. On AS, my non-bottled water PDB rate is probably 10-15% at best. My bottled water PDB rate isn't even 100%...which is pretty sad.
If it's important to the airline to give you good service then they will give you good service. That's the bottom line. Legacy VX prided themselves on giving good service (especially in F) and I was always able to order whatever I wanted before takeoff. Yes, sometimes the FA had to join the line of people boarding to get the drinks to the people in row 2... so that's what he or she did. It was never an issue, and there was never a question about it. It was just part of what you got when you were in F.

Surprisingly, UA and AA (which are not particularly known for service) also always got me a PDB in F. AS seems to be overtaking the legacies in the race to make F as much like economy as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.