Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
SFO-ABQ is also cancelled after the new year.
The whole thing looks like amateur hour. Just throwing darts at the wall as fast as they could after the merger.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Not really sure why anyone who doesn't fly SFO - Major Metro would ever set foot on AS.
That’s a very rosy view of the AS route network ex-SFO. By my count they do not have relevant service ex-SFO to 3 of the top 10 metro areas and 10 of the top 20 metro areas (and that’s generously counting once-daily nonstops, sometimes just a red eye, as relevant service).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
The whole thing looks like amateur hour. Just throwing darts at the wall as fast as they could after the merger.
It isn't inconsistent with previous expansion by AS into new markets. If the route makes money, it sticks around, if it doesn't, sometimes its gone in under a year.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
SFO-ABQ is also cancelled after the new year.
SNA-ABQ is also blocked from booking from early next year. That leaves 2xSEA, PDX, SAN from ABQ.

SFO-ABQ launched on 9/18/2017, SNA-ABQ on 8/18/2017. Both survived merely over a year.

Before AS announced the launch, UA operated once daily on SFO-ABQ. Now UA has 3 daily. I'm afraid UA will cut one or two once AS pulls out.

Last edited by bobbybrown; Aug 22, 2018 at 11:54 am
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
It isn't inconsistent with previous expansion by AS into new markets. If the route makes money, it sticks around, if it doesn't, sometimes its gone in under a year.
If that is the criteria they are using from SFO, then they may as well just shut down everything but flights to SEA/PDX and go back to their old network and give the gate space to another carrier.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
If that is the criteria they are using from SFO, then they may as well just shut down everything but flights to SEA/PDX and go back to their old network and give the gate space to another carrier.

Well, not give, but lease or sell (cf. LGA/DCA-DAL), but otherwise yeah.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:45 pm

While the number of destinations may be down, I think the number of flights is pretty steady.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If not profitability, by what criteria would you have them determine whether a route stays or goes?
AS Flyer, notquiteaff and ashill like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If not profitability, by what criteria would you have them determine whether a route stays or goes?
It's not clear sfozrhfco had another criteria in mind. S/he is simply pointing out that if we follow the current criteria to its logical conclusion, then the AS network will return to its original PNW-centered form.

Personally, my guess is that in the long run another merger becomes necessary. B6 is the obvious candidate, and in that case the question is which management team would run the new company. If you like AS more than B6 (controlling for location and route considerations), then I suppose you should hope that AS does better financially over the next few years than B6...
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:06 pm

Former VX cities gone from SFO since AS purchased them: DEN, FLL and CUN. (did I miss any?)

New cities added (and retained so far) to SFO since AS purchased them: PHL, RDU, BNA, MSY, MCI, BWI, KOA, SNA (did I miss any?)

Cities added and axed post acquisition: MEX, ABQ, IND, MSP (did I miss any?)

Since the VX acquisition it seems that there are more cities served from SFO than previous to it. Additionally, while there have been some cuts, AS has taken a chance in adding new markets that may not have seen service under VX management. Some worked, some didn't. The jury is out on a few others. Some here are acting as though the sky is falling but the network from SFO is larger than pre-acquisition while the number of flights has remained fairly steady. I think some here just have an axe to grind.
notquiteaff and DrAlex like this.

Last edited by AS Flyer; Aug 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Since the VX acquisition it seems that there are more cities served from SFO than previous to it.
Yes, that is true; is anyone claiming otherwise? But it doesn’t imply that AS has a viable network or strategy out of SFO. There’s a reason VX got acquired.

Last edited by milypan; Aug 23, 2018 at 10:04 am
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:41 am

routes like BNA, RDU, MCI will be gone at some point too. They are only doing marginally better than ABQ and IND. It's amazing ABQ survived as long as they did.

One thing for sure, they don't need those additional gate space.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I think some here just have an axe to grind.
The axe doesn't come from nowhere. AS has limited resources and the spaghetti on the wall strategy at SFO necessarily comes at the expense of investment in other markets.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:42 am

Have AS1251 and AS1260 (AM JFK-LAS and redeye LAS-JFK) been discontinued? There was some availability in 2019, but I can't seem to find it now.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Is MEX also toast? Nothing showing in Jan / Feb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.