Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

new to Alaska.. need help with mileage trip to Thailand.. bus class..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new to Alaska.. need help with mileage trip to Thailand.. bus class..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:45 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
All, I have moved the off topic discussion of using SPG points to book AS awards to its own thread which you can find here:
Discussion: The merits of people moving miles to Alaska from SPG to book awards

Please keep this thread on topic, and related to the OPs request and helpful advice related to booking their award ticket.

Ryandc99, Moderator Alaska Airlines
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by zerodegre
interesting ... I could only find it in NON business saver

I will check again
I am seeing quite a bit of Cathay Business available (via Qantas and BA sites which should match AS availability) in October, midweek, via JFK (only one I checked). I think you are good to go. Just do not wait to long because the space will dwindle the more time goes by. Remember, CX space does not show on the AS website. You have to call AS to book CX.
zerodegre likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
I'm based in Bangkok...Cathay is always the go-to for me getting to and from North America when looking to use miles with Mileage Plan. Besides the number of miles required being competitive with (if not better than) other options in J or F, there tends to be more availability on CX than any other option. I use BA to search for availability, and whenever I see 2 or more seats available, I am able to get one when calling AS. Usually, I book far out and will often see 4 seats available. Newark is the only one that is tighter than this - but Boston, SFO, LAX, JFK, and ORD are usually showing 2+ seats. Connections to BKK out of HKG are usually ample.

Just a note: BKK (Suvarnabhumi) Airport is usually a clusterf*&! to arrive into - getting through immigration, in particular, can be awful if you do not fly J or F and thus have a FastTrack pass through immigration. When returning to BKK, I always try to upgrade or pay for business class, if only to avoid those lines, which can be as long as 2 hours. Make sure your inbound to BKK is in J!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by ralph4878
I'm based in Bangkok...Cathay is always the go-to for me getting to and from North America when looking to use miles with Mileage Plan. Besides the number of miles required being competitive with (if not better than) other options in J or F, there tends to be more availability on CX than any other option. I use BA to search for availability, and whenever I see 2 or more seats available, I am able to get one when calling AS. Usually, I book far out and will often see 4 seats available. Newark is the only one that is tighter than this - but Boston, SFO, LAX, JFK, and ORD are usually showing 2+ seats. Connections to BKK out of HKG are usually ample.

Just a note: BKK (Suvarnabhumi) Airport is usually a clusterf*&! to arrive into - getting through immigration, in particular, can be awful if you do not fly J or F and thus have a FastTrack pass through immigration. When returning to BKK, I always try to upgrade or pay for business class, if only to avoid those lines, which can be as long as 2 hours. Make sure your inbound to BKK is in J!
Or just get an APEC card.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Not to hijack anything but just cuz the last 2 posts were about immigration at BKK.

The first time I went there I arrived and just jumped in the first customs area.

This past time, I guess I arrived at a different part of the terminal, I went to what looked like the same customs area and I was told "no you have to go to the NEXT one". I'm on a Canadian passport. Is there 1 giant area for Thai passports and 1 for everyone else? It seemed like the area I ended up had the division for Thais/Foreigners, so I'm not sure why I was re-directed to another customs area. Both were open.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
SPG points
I hope you are going SPG --> Marriott for a couple of travel packages...
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Correct. Renaissance for 14 days and 240,000 miles
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Guys i have 250,000 alaska miles

I want to do 2 roundtrips to Bangkok from ATL... I can get many dates for 120,000 business class via Korean airlines but when i add 2 tickets EVERY seat disappears.. for months..

If i choose one seat there is plenty of days avail for months.. Very strange..

Q: If i book one flight using miles, then try to book another one separately... will there be anymore inventory? I can't imagine there is only one seat for months.. maybe they release inventory 1 seat at a time??

Any help with this would be great.. or any alternatives.. Cathay or Korean.. can leave any city would like to stay on east coast as i live in FL
KE no longer flies the A380 into ATL. That’s a lot of points to fly KE biz on the 777. I flew the A380 ATL-ICN and while the service was fine, the onboard bar made up for other shortcomings. The seats aren’t all that great and the second meal service was served literally five hours before arrival. I’d call KE biz a more budget type offering as compared to Cathay, and certainly not worth the higher mileage requirement.

Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Not to hijack anything but just cuz the last 2 posts were about immigration at BKK.

The first time I went there I arrived and just jumped in the first customs area.

This past time, I guess I arrived at a different part of the terminal, I went to what looked like the same customs area and I was told "no you have to go to the NEXT one". I'm on a Canadian passport. Is there 1 giant area for Thai passports and 1 for everyone else? It seemed like the area I ended up had the division for Thais/Foreigners, so I'm not sure why I was re-directed to another customs area. Both were open.
Were you in biz? The middle section was the fast track passport control if i’m not mistaken.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by sleuth

Were you in biz? The middle section was the fast track passport control if i’m not mistaken.
I was not. Each section seems to have a fast track line. But maybe they had separated this whole area as fast track, I'm not sure. They seemed to be indiscriminately sending all us white folks to this other checkpoint. Next to the first checkpoint FWIW was right next to a visa on arrival purchase area, so who knows maybe the checkpoint was open only to THOSE people. I couldn't figure it out, I just went where I was told
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
They seemed to be indiscriminately sending all us white folks to this other checkpoint.
Oh, the irony...
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. Renaissance for 14 days and 240,000 miles
OP, there is a gigantic thread in AS forum about CX award. Read the Wiki. You would have far better chance finding 2 J seats on CX for your dates. You can have a stopover at HKG on both directions, may even 1 stopover at HKG on one direction and then another stopover at an AS hub on another direction but this is not a guarantee as it is not officially allowed. Stopovers at HKG is allowed by the rules.

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Oh, the irony...
Haha, I'm not complaining, I just couldn't figure it out. There wasn't a sign that said like "ASEAN passports here Foreign passports ---->". They literally just kept pointing anyone who asked to this other area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.