Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Premium more than 72 hours?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Upgrade to Premium more than 72 hours?

So have a flight on Friday and today I received email that I was upgraded to premium which is definitely more than 72 hours before. Not sure why? Any idea?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Light load perhaps.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I figured it out. I had actually bought a high enough fare class to allow instant upgrade to Premium but chose a seat in regular economy because there were only middle seats in Premium. Seems an aisle seat opened up in Premium so they processed the “upgrade”.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Related question -- the FAQ states that if you are in an exit row, you won't be moved to premium when your upgrade window arrives. Does that mean that you lose your upgrade? Or do you have to call in? What if you are in an exit row but prefer premium?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Related question -- the FAQ states that if you are in an exit row, you won't be moved to premium when your upgrade window arrives. Does that mean that you lose your upgrade? Or do you have to call in? What if you are in an exit row but prefer premium?
At your window (or before if you have an eligible fare class), you can select a premium seat instead of your exit row seating. You don't "lose" the upgrade, but if you wait too long, someone else might get a PC seat assignment before you do. Initially frequent flyers complained about being moved from exit rows (which have a teeny bit more legroom), so AS blocked exit row seats from PC upgrades.. If you really want a PC seat, don't put yourself in an exit row, and be sure to check the box for "premium class upgrades" at booking.

Honestly, I wish AS would either make exit rows part of the premium class product or allow passengers to specify whether they want to be moved from exit row to PC seats at upgrade window.
JPat, missamo80 and pbelmore like this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
At your window (or before if you have an eligible fare class), you can select a premium seat instead of your exit row seating. You don't "lose" the upgrade, but if you wait too long, someone else might get a PC seat assignment before you do.
It took me months to figure this out. I too would love an option to say "upgrade me to PC even if I'm in an exit row", but with all the other IT issues Alaska seems to be having I'm fine with the workaround.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
At your window (or before if you have an eligible fare class), you can select a premium seat instead of your exit row seating. You don't "lose" the upgrade, but if you wait too long, someone else might get a PC seat assignment before you do. Initially frequent flyers complained about being moved from exit rows (which have a teeny bit more legroom), so AS blocked exit row seats from PC upgrades.. If you really want a PC seat, don't put yourself in an exit row, and be sure to check the box for "premium class upgrades" at booking.

Honestly, I wish AS would either make exit rows part of the premium class product or allow passengers to specify whether they want to be moved from exit row to PC seats at upgrade window.
Thanks for the info.

I was thinking about not selecting an exit row, but then there's a chance I'll end up in non-exit-row Y. Given my low status (just MVP) and relatively low fare class (K one way, T the other) I don't know how likely I am to get upgraded. It's my first time playing the upgrade game with AS... I'm trying to learn how it works. I figured that it was a good time to try it for a relatively short flight (SFO-PHX, <2 hrs in the air) and cheap Y tickets ($99 there, $65 back).

I would definitely take a premium window or aisle over my exit row window. Middle seat premium would be a tougher call...
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I was thinking about not selecting an exit row, but then there's a chance I'll end up in non-exit-row Y. Given my low status (just MVP) and relatively low fare class (K one way, T the other) I don't know how likely I am to get upgraded. It's my first time playing the upgrade game with AS... I'm trying to learn how it works. I figured that it was a good time to try it for a relatively short flight (SFO-PHX, <2 hrs in the air) and cheap Y tickets ($99 there, $65 back).
You might get upgraded more often than you think. As an MVP traveling only for leisure, I made plenty of weekend trips down the coast while I was based in PDX and only missed an upgrade once. And I was on cheap tickets, including the $48 PDX-SFO Cyber Monday fares.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
You might get upgraded more often than you think. As an MVP traveling only for leisure, I made plenty of weekend trips down the coast while I was based in PDX and only missed an upgrade once. And I was on cheap tickets, including the $48 PDX-SFO Cyber Monday fares.
I agree...I'm MVP and I too get upgraded more often than you would think....I was even upgraded twice last year with a non-status companion (my kid) on my reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.