Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Compensation for Non-Functioning VX First Cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BonVoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, BA Bronze

Last night I flew SFO-SEA on VX1752 and upon takeoff, the 7 of us seated in the first class cabin noted that the seats could not recline and the in-flight entertainment was disabled. The flight attendants worked through their manuals diligently, but couldn't arrive at a solution, so the cabin was essentially 'dark' for the 95 minute flight. There was no impact to MCS or the seats in coach. I tweeted AS customer service and they immediately asked me to DM me, wherein they offered a $100 credit if I booked a flight within 180 days (economy only).

Does this seem like appropriate compensation? I understand that when AS announced that the VX flights originating out of DAL (Love Field) to LGA and DCA would move to Skywest, they compensated ticket holders with a free trip, acknowledging that the E175 first class product was not nearly comparable.

Looking over the loyaltylobby.com's thread on compensation clinics, others have asked/received for much more in similar circumstances, though I'm not sure if it's worth pushing harder on Alaska. Thoughts?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
my 2c is that it is not worth pushing for more, this is a 90 minute flight, and while annoying i'd say your compensation was fair relative to some i've received in the recent past.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I thought VX F was supposed to be the greatest innovation since the winglet.
CDKing and missamo80 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
my 2c is that it is not worth pushing for more, this is a 90 minute flight, and while annoying i'd say your compensation was fair relative to some i've received in the recent past.
I don't disagree - it could have been worse, such as this happening on a redeye to JFK/EWR; however, I'm flummoxed that they're offering compensation in the form of an economy-only credit. I think most of my frustration is that I won't have an opportunity to use any credit with my busy work-travel schedule in the next 180 days, so it feels like they're 'getting away with it'.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: It's time for a "topic check." This thread is about compensation. Off-topic replies to a disaster reference have been and will be deleted. Just let it go.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS
We had similar experience as OP. Flew LAX / SEA. VX in F. Row2 A/C
Seat 2A tray table totally broken, used blanket to hold tray table level for meal. Entertainment device stopped working after 5 minutes. Unable to reboot device. Gave up and could not watch movie(or anything)
Seat 2C Power recline broken and foot rest was able to raise about 8 inches then totally non responsive. crawled around it during flight then had to do manual reset for seat for landing (by FA)
Contacted AS Listens.....fo seat 2C , so far, nothing. Then, for Seat 2A, online AS Customer Service email with file # attached from auto reply. Indicated we would hear back...
Again, so far, nothing.
Will post if there is any compensation offered.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pcoll
Seat 2A tray table totally broken, used blanket to hold tray table level for meal. Entertainment device stopped working after 5 minutes. Unable to reboot device. Gave up and could not watch movie(or anything)
Seat 2C Power recline broken and foot rest was able to raise about 8 inches then totally non responsive. crawled around it during flight then had to do manual reset for seat for landing (by FA)
Contacted AS Listens.....fo seat 2C , so far, nothing. Then, for Seat 2A, online AS Customer Service email with file # attached from auto reply. Indicated we would hear back...
Again, so far, nothing.
I've found twitter to be more useful in getting AS' attention, as they initially have no privacy when you complain to the twitter-verse. Looking forward (and hopeful) to you having a more successful resolution
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Flew JFK-SFO on VX with a paid upgrade MCS-->F.

Had a similar experience, recliners not working, neither was the red system. I called up the Gold line and asked for them to credit 50% of the upgrade fee ($240 originally), which I felt was fair. They agreed right away.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
I guess it is way too late but in Dec we had a broken First VX seat from FLL to LAX. It was a long flight without video.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greener_007
I don't disagree - it could have been worse, such as this happening on a redeye to JFK/EWR; however, I'm flummoxed that they're offering compensation in the form of an economy-only credit. I think most of my frustration is that I won't have an opportunity to use any credit with my busy work-travel schedule in the next 180 days, so it feels like they're 'getting away with it'.
you could respond and ask for miles instead. By their own valuation, $100 ~ 7500-10k miles.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

you could respond and ask for miles instead. By their own valuation, $100 ~ 7500-10k miles.
Actually, I think it would be around 5,000 miles for $100 in my own experience.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I got a nasty scratch on my thumb from a broken wire near the console cover plate for the IFE screen; emailed a description and pix to VX CS (subject: F Seat on N528VA in need of Maintenance Attention) and got a $100 e-cert within 24 hrs
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:01 am

Years ago when VX was still VX I was on SEA-LAX in First and the same thing happened. It wasn't discovered until we were already in the air, the captain came out and tried to reset a circuit or something, and said had it been discovered on the ground it would have been a no go for flight until it was fixed. VX offered me $300 e-cert for any travel any cabin (more than I paid for the entire ticket). I would absolutely push for more. Alaska CS has a LOT of leeway. I would at the very least ask for 12.5k miles enough for a one way economy or I would push for more in an e-cert.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seahawks10177
Actually, I think it would be around 5,000 miles for $100 in my own experience.
when i say "by their own valuation" i mean that they'll give you $100 off a flight if you burn 10k miles.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by pcoll
Again, so far, nothing.
It has been a week and no reply from AS..
Not from Alaska Listens. or AS Emailed Customer Service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.