Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS MVP Gold on Japan Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
AS MVP Gold on Japan Airlines

My wife is taking a trip down under (JFK-SYD) on Japan Airlines via NRT. She is currently AA Plat considering a status match to MVP Gold.

Was wondering if the reciprocal benefits between JAL and AS are similar to those with One World? Any advantage with going with AA over AS. I know AS gives a 100% bonus to MVP Gold holders vs AA's 60%, so that's a plus one for AS. She is flying PE so should be getting lounge access at JFK and NRT, regardless of status.

Many thanks for your opinions.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by knit-in
Was wondering if the reciprocal benefits between JAL and AS are similar to those with One World?
No. There are no reciprocal benefits. The partner benefits for MVPG are listed here.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rtner-benefits

JAL is not listed.

Originally Posted by knit-in
Any advantage with going with AA over AS.
Your wife will be able to use her OW Sapphire benefits on JAL for priority boarding and luggage.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No. There are no reciprocal benefits. The partner benefits for MVPG are listed here.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rtner-benefits

JAL is not listed.

Your wife will be able to use her OW Sapphire benefits on JAL for priority boarding and luggage.
A rather scant list, I see.

Thank you for pointing it out.

She has a domestic flight on Qantas in Y, but I see that lounge access is provided only if flying international the same day.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
For some reason, I thought the QF lounge benefit was for any ticket being flown on Qantas as MVPG. I didn't see the International segment rule until now. Is that new or did I just miss it? I just purchased a MEL-SYD ticket in Qantas Y for that purpose. Oops!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Originally Posted by ffman999
For some reason, I thought the QF lounge benefit was for any ticket being flown on Qantas as MVPG. I didn't see the International segment rule until now. Is that new or did I just miss it? I just purchased a MEL-SYD ticket in Qantas Y for that purpose. Oops!
I was able to get Qantas lounge access even on my wholly domestic segments with no real issue--just a lot of "we don't see very many of you down here!" and similar sorts of reactions.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Interesting. I now see that a page on Alaska says its just for international travel, and then a page on Alaska says domestic and international. Whereas QF's website says both. Thanks, AS, for being confusing as always!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffman999
Originally Posted by obnoxoid
I was able to get Qantas lounge access even on my wholly domestic segments with no real issue--just a lot of "we don't see very many of you down here!" and similar sorts of reactions.
That is good to know. I shall pass the information along.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
PY gets priority baggage service on JAL at JFK/NRT(if stopping over)/SYD. Granted it's behind J/OWS but should be before Y bags.

Also, priority boarding for PY is unnecessary IMO. Bin space is unlikely to be filled so my preference is just sit down, wait for the boarding scrum to clear, and board when the GA's do their second canvassing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.