Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest Way to Acquire Alaska Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Cheapest Way to Acquire Alaska Miles?

So, I was in the midst of purchasing an Alaska Airlines flight, and noticed that I have the possibility to buy 10,000 miles for $190.

That's a rate of 1.9 cents per mile, better even than buying miles for 2.11 cents each with their 40% bonus promotion, and even better than ~1.96 cents each during their highest ever 50% bonus.

I understand that buying miles with the purchase of a flight limits you to 10,000 at most, still making purchasing miles during a promotion an attractive option. But am I correct in that this is the way to actually get the cheapest cent-per-mile cost for Alaska miles?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
So, I was in the midst of purchasing an Alaska Airlines flight, and noticed that I have the possibility to buy 10,000 miles for $190.

That's a rate of 1.9 cents per mile, better even than buying miles for 2.11 cents each with their 40% bonus promotion, and even better than ~1.96 cents each during their highest ever 50% bonus.

I understand that buying miles with the purchase of a flight limits you to 10,000 at most, still making purchasing miles during a promotion an attractive option. But am I correct in that this is the way to actually get the cheapest cent-per-mile cost for Alaska miles?
Well, the cheapest is to get an Alaska credit card.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:53 pm

I booked a RT PDX-JFK MR. $191. 9800 MP miles if you are standard member (2X bonus), all the way up about 16,000 for 75K if you add 573 if you pay with the AS Visa card.

The $99 fare is not here now, buts the point is the cheaper way to get MP miles (after the CC) is to look for route sales. They will show up for the January 10 - March 10, November 1 - November 15 and December 1 - December 15 travel periods.
flyupfrnt likes this.

Last edited by Orwaid; Jan 17, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Be careful with the buy miles during purchase. AS states if you cancel they can charge full value for the points thus wiping out the discount of going that way
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid
I booked a RT PDX-JFK MR. $191. 9800 MP miles if you are standard member (2X bonus), all the way up about 16,000 for 75K if you add 573 if you pay with the AS Visa card.

The $99 fare is not here now, buts the point is the cheaper way to get MP miles (after the CC) is to look for route sales. They will show up for the January 10 - March 10, November 1 - November 15 and December 1 - December 15 travel periods.
Ya, looking for cheap fares or fares with bonus options usually is the lowest way to get miles in a large bucket amount, otherwise credit card just builds them up overtime for basically free. It's a little harder if you aren't near a hub to cash in on the great fare deals though. I'm on the east side of Washington state and the extra ~$170 to get from PSC to SEA has always made those super cheap fares not worth while, even if I was able to run them twice in the same weekend or something. So the OP might be in a situation like that. Manufactured spend on the card MIGHT be an option (if you don't normally charge large amounts to it) but that's covered in other areas of this site and sometimes can be a pain to do... as well as carry some risk that the card gets cancelled, though I'm not sure how on top of that BOA compared to people like Amex and stuff. Even still, the cost might not balance out with the amount of miles you can earn, unless factoring in bonus miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.