FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AA Award Availabilty for Mileage Plan Members (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1888072-aa-award-availabilty-mileage-plan-members.html)

League Jan 25, 2018 12:02 am

I'm also seeing weird stuff, like (surprisingly) plenty of AA Saver availability for a domestic trip (DSM-MCO in October) on AA's website, but those same flights - avail for 12,500 on aa.com - are NOT available on Alaska's website. In fact there is not a *single* economy award ticket available from DSM-MCO in Oct on Alaska's site, while there are plentiful dates with Saver availability on AA's. Alaska only seems to have access to AA's first class saver space right now... or at least, that's all they are listing in this scenario.

Mauibaby2008 Jan 25, 2018 6:27 am

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29336539)

Flagship Lounge access? Yes. (Even CX — or any other oneworld — J now grants Flagship Lounge access.) But you have to be in AA F ago get Flagship Dining within the Flagship Lounge.

that is incorrect.

CX F DOES grant you Flagship First Dining, at least it does at JFK (did this twice) but not sure of LAX.. although maybe I am mistaken since there are already Oneworld lounges at LAX and not any proper F lounges at JFK ?

CX has a special arrangement with AA to use Flagship First Dining when flying CX F from JFK.

MB

eponymous_coward Jan 25, 2018 7:56 am

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29336539)
Flagship Lounge access? Yes. (Even CX — or any other oneworld — J now grants Flagship Lounge access.) But you have to be in AA F ago get Flagship Dining within the Flagship Lounge.

As I understand it, oneworld access to a lounge (LAX Flagship) based on the class of service on arriving international long haul flight (CX F HKG-LAX) is predicated on having an onward flight on a oneworld carrier.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Since AS is NOT in oneworld, and AS will not issue an award with CX on the HKG-LAX segment and AA on the LAX-XXX segment, by my reading of the rules I would not have Flagship access on arrival unless I flew AA on both segments. No arriving lounge access for CX or AA/AS (save at the Alaska Lounge if my onward flight was in AS F. I chose to book as AA/AA.)

For departure from LAX on CX F, different story. You should have QF F, OW j and AA Flagship access by rule as your next flight is on a OW carrier.

ashill Jan 25, 2018 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 (Post 29337368)
CX F DOES grant you Flagship First Dining, at least it does at JFK (did this twice) but not sure of LAX.. although maybe I am mistaken since there are already Oneworld lounges at LAX and not any proper F lounges at JFK ?

CX has a special arrangement with AA to use Flagship First Dining when flying CX F from JFK.

MB

I had forgotten about that CX deal with AA. But I think it’s JFK specific. CX lists the AA lounge (explicitly including Flagship Dining) on their JFK airport page, whereas they list the QF F lounge as their lounge on their LAX page. AA’s site only mentions AA F passengers as Flagship Dining eligible; that is, oneworld access rules don’t apply to Flagship Dining. So if there isn’t a specific side deal mentioned for a particular lounge, I would assume there’s no access. But I have no personal experience.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29337649)

As I understand it, oneworld access to a lounge (LAX Flagship) based on the class of service on arriving international long haul flight (CX F HKG-LAX) is predicated on having an onward flight on a oneworld carrier.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Since AS is NOT in oneworld, and AS will not issue an award with CX on the HKG-LAX segment and AA on the LAX-XXX segment, by my reading of the rules I would not have Flagship access on arrival unless I flew AA on both segments. No arriving lounge access for XA/AS (save at the Alaska Lounge if my onward flight was in AS F. I chose to book as AA/AA.)

For departure from LAX on CX F, different story. You should have QF F, OW j and AA Flagship access by rule as your next flight is on a OW carrier.

Yes, it’s oneworld access rules which require a departing oneworld flight.

jaycoh22 Jan 25, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by League (Post 29336672)
I'm also seeing weird stuff, like (surprisingly) plenty of AA Saver availability for a domestic trip (DSM-MCO in October) on AA's website, but those same flights - avail for 12,500 on aa.com - are NOT available on Alaska's website. In fact there is not a *single* economy award ticket available from DSM-MCO in Oct on Alaska's site, while there are plentiful dates with Saver availability on AA's. Alaska only seems to have access to AA's first class saver space right now... or at least, that's all they are listing in this scenario.

If you use the trick CDKing demonstrates above, piecing together the legs of the AA routing using a multi-City search, you can get them to show.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ff55e603d.jpeg

ashill Jan 25, 2018 11:07 am

Originally Posted by jaycoh22 (Post 29338186)
If you use the trick CDKing demonstrates above, piecing together the legs of the AA routing using a multi-City search, you can get them to show.

Glad this works, suggesting that this is a glitch, not AA limiting availability. Any chance we can get Alaska to fix this? @missydarlin?

eponymous_coward Jan 25, 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29338536)
Glad this works, suggesting that this is a glitch, not AA limiting availability. Any chance we can get Alaska to fix this? @missydarlin?

AA may be doing something odd with married segments so that they can offer DSM-MCO but not DSM-CLT and CLT-MCO... probably AS does have to do something to fix it. Nice workaround, though, @CDKing.

ashill Jan 25, 2018 11:40 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29338609)
AA may be doing something odd with married segments so that they can offer DSM-MCO but not DSM-CLT and CLT-MCO... probably AS does have to do something to fix it. Nice workaround, though, @CDKing.

Right, but this workaround (essentially telling AS to search separately for DSM-PHL and PHL-MCO, then having it price out correctly as DSM-PHL) suggests that AA has the opposite of married segment availability; the nonstops are available individually but not as a connecting itinerary. Since AA now has quite a lot of married segments available when the individual segments are not, it seems much more likely that DSM-PHL-MCO would be available when DSM-PHL and/or PHL-MCO are not individually available than the other way around.

However, I bet (hope?) that you're right that this has something to do with AS not correctly parsing/searching for AA's new married segment availability on awards. That seems like a potentially-plausible explanation that doesn't involve the AA/AS redemption partnership falling apart....

jaycoh22 Jan 25, 2018 11:47 am

In both instances I checked (HTS-PVD and DSM-MCO), the individual segments were all available on AA as non-stop saver awards.

CDKing Jan 25, 2018 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by jaycoh22 (Post 29338732)
In both instances I checked (HTS-PVD and DSM-MCO), the individual segments were all available on AA as non-stop saver awards.

I just looked at the HTS-CLT & CLT-PVD separately as one ways on AS site and the 12.5K price came up as well so there is some issue on the AS site

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d3150fed0a.jpg

jinglish Jan 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29338700)
That seems like a potentially-plausible explanation that doesn't involve the AA/AS redemption partnership falling apart....

People here love to speculate that a partnership is on the rocks because of award availability issues, but when has that ever actually preceded a divorce between AS and another carrier? The only partner I'm aware of that can be forcefully construed into an example is AM, and we had a state of earning but no burning for something like two years until they finally dropped AS... because of the brand-new DL joint venture. DL and AS were on the rocks for years, but we had saver award access right up until the very end.

ashill Jan 25, 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 29339088)
People here love to speculate that a partnership is on the rocks because of award availability issues, but when has that ever actually preceded a divorce between AS and another carrier? The only partner I'm aware of that can be forcefully construed into an example is AM, and we had a state of earning but no burning for something like two years until they finally dropped AS... because of the brand-new DL joint venture. DL and AS were on the rocks for years, but we had saver award access right up until the very end.

There were a lot of reports here that KLM availability dried up in the days/weeks/maybe months before they announced the end of the partnership. I was pretty skeptical at the time that it portended anything other than a technical glitch, but I was wrong then.

eponymous_coward Jan 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29339462)
There were a lot of reports here that KLM availability dried up in the days/weeks/maybe months before they announced the end of the partnership. I was pretty skeptical at the time that it portended anything other than a technical glitch, but I was wrong then.

If they were going to end the AA/AS partnership, wouldn't it have made sense to end it 20-some days ago (when everything obviously changed, award rates, elite bennies, earning) when they had the obvious chance to? Why change a bunch of stuff around for a few weeks or months?

ashill Jan 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29339752)
If they were going to end the AA/AS partnership, wouldn't it have made sense to end it 20-some days ago (when everything obviously changed, award rates, elite bennies, earning) when they had the obvious chance to? Why change a bunch of stuff around for a few weeks or months?

I agree, but that doesn't prevent me from being nervous. ;) No matter what, I'm glad to see some evidence that this is a glitch, and I hope that AS/AA can sort out the glitch soon. Having to search segment-by-segment would be annoying, especially on the routes on which AA does now use married segment availability.

missydarlin Jan 26, 2018 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29338536)

The fix is mostly out of Alaska's control. The workaround that CDKing posted is your best option for the time being.