FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AA Award Availabilty for Mileage Plan Members (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1888072-aa-award-availabilty-mileage-plan-members.html)

troytos Jan 4, 2018 1:00 am

AS award on American seat inventory?

I'm trying to book AA using Alaska Miles but there is NONE first class seat available on the website but when i checked on AA.com and BA.com. There is a seat available. I called Alaska they said they don't have the same award availability. is that true? they said what you can see on the website is what we can book for you.

caburrito Jan 4, 2018 1:54 am

If by "seats available" you're referring to AA's Anytime awards, you cannot use AS miles to book those. Only the MileSAAvers.

JDiver Jan 4, 2018 4:57 am

As this is about booking an Alaska Airlines award, it will move to that forum.

JDiver, Moderator

CDKing Jan 4, 2018 6:20 am

AA site shows seats available to those using AA members. If they do not show on the AS site they are not Mileage SAAver awards.

If you are going to use the AA site look for the circled options in the image below

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d694d1e0e2.jpg

ashill Jan 4, 2018 10:54 am

Originally Posted by caburrito (Post 29248053)
If by "seats available" you're referring to AA's Anytime awards, you cannot use AS miles to book those. Only the MileSAAvers.

If there is a seat available to BA, as the OP indicated, it should be available to AS too. That's strange and, if not a glitch, worrying.

tonei Jan 4, 2018 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 29248618)
If you are going to use the AA site look for the circled options in the image below:

The third circle is incorrect - that’s AAnytime awards for three-class F

CDKing Jan 4, 2018 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by tonei (Post 29250034)

The third circle is incorrect - that’s AAnytime awards for three-class F

Ugg, how did I miss that. Updated screenshot has the saver F (three class F) column

GuzziQuota Jan 13, 2018 12:23 am

AA Award Availabilty for Mileage Plan Members

Wow, we not only lost all perks, AA is nearly gone for awards, Air France is going but most if not all award flights already pulled.

Yes Condor is on now, they yanked my biz class ticket with no notice, Frankfurt Condor airport staffing are the worst Ive ever experienced, I spoke with 10 others, same exp. flight attendants were great but its a low rent airline.
I hope Finn Air turns out OK.
The Caribbean is gone. Europe rough. when Virgin member are going for the same rewards, it will get worse.
I wish I had better news.

jinglish Jan 13, 2018 2:51 am

Originally Posted by GuzziQuota (Post 29286884)
Wow, we not only lost all perks, AA is nearly gone for awards

Explain the SEA-SCL F/J award I booked last month.

tom911 Jan 13, 2018 4:13 am

Yes Condor is on now, they yanked my biz class ticket with no notice

Business class award ticket? Why? You really haven't provided any details here.

Eastbay1K Jan 13, 2018 11:07 am

I booked an SFO/JFK/EZE in J (lie flat the whole way) a few days ago. (Of course, I can't get any space home :o )

sdsearch Jan 13, 2018 11:20 am

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 29287138)

Explain the SEA-SCL F/J award I booked last month.

Did you miss the word "nearly" in what you replying to? How is one award (or even a couple awards) inconsistent with "nearly" gone? :confused:

Meanwhile, AA awards being sparse is not new. This thread was started over a year ago:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...iscussion.html
(in AA forum)

Often1 Jan 13, 2018 11:26 am

Rather than using words such as "gone" why not explain exactly what you want to do and when. As you can see, many people are doing just fine. But, neither you nor they are a good sample and thus, if those other people said "plentiful" it would be wrong too.

If you want help and advice, please explain what you are looking for.

Yellowjj Jan 13, 2018 1:05 pm

AA saver awards are what's scarce for it's own elites, so not really a AS problem.

The Caribbean is gone.
I have plenty of options available to me from the Caribbean. Usually at least 20-30 flight combinations. I guess it depends on where your going and frequency of the route.

CDKing Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Looks like F/J is pretty decent here. AA is stingy with advance sAAver awards even for their own member

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...34e9554300.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...48dca304ff.jpg

CDKing Jan 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Aruba

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c28370271a.jpg

lalala Jan 14, 2018 1:39 pm

I don't think they are particularly stingy. I'm sorry to see the bump in the number of miles for redemption, but you are seeing the same thing that AA fliers would see if they were booking a Saver Award. When you see that unicorn all segment business award show up, book it. I think Alaska has the most liberal change/cancel/redeposit policies for mid and upper tier fliers.

oc2005 Jan 14, 2018 11:08 pm

I've been having this problem trying to book award tickets on AA metal to the Caribbean using AS miles, and came across this thread. BA.com stills matches AA milesaaver availability, but AS.com no longer does, with only a subset of the available flights show up on AS.com. Definitely hoping this is just a temporary glitch, and not a sign of a permanent change in how award availability on AA metal works.

sdsearch Jan 15, 2018 11:28 am

Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 29293783)
I've been having this problem trying to book award tickets on AA metal to the Caribbean using AS miles, and came across this thread. BA.com stills matches AA milesaaver availability, but AS.com no longer does, with only a subset of the available flights show up on AS.com. Definitely hoping this is just a temporary glitch, and not a sign of a permanent change in how award availability on AA metal works.

Did you see post 9 in this other thread, about Aruba availability:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...n-members.html

? The issue is that it's for about one week out, from Boston to Aruba. So availability may differ depending on how for you you're looking, which cabin you're looking for, and from what starting city to where in the Caribbean?

metaldirtnskin Jan 15, 2018 4:19 pm

I booked an AS award on AA metal, and called yesterday to change the date. I could see on the website that only F was available for my desired date/flights, but the agent on the phone kept saying there were no seats in any class. Eventually he had to cancel the original ticket and issue a new one... he explained this by saying that different systems are used under the hood for booking new award tickets or agents making changes to existing ones. Not entirely sure about that, but it does seem like something weird is going on IT-wise regarding what seats are available to whom.

oc2005 Jan 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 29295776)
Did you see post 9 in this other thread, about Aruba availability:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...n-members.html

? The issue is that it's for about one week out, from Boston to Aruba. So availability may differ depending on how for you you're looking, which cabin you're looking for, and from what starting city to where in the Caribbean?

I'm looking at St Louis to St Kitts, just under 11 months out -- there is plentiful availability in coach using Saaver awards on AA.com (for 15k) and using Avios on BA.com (also for 15k), but much of that availability doesn't show up on AS.com. There is some availability, but it is much more limited than on AA.com/BA.com. And in the past, AS.com would always exactly match AA's availability for Saaver and for what shows up on BA.com using Avios, so I could search on any of the three and the exact same availability would show up. Like I said, I'm hoping it's just a glitch in what AS.com is seeing in AA's availability that will be fixed, and not a sign of a deeper change.

felicidad76 Jan 15, 2018 10:16 pm

I was looking for business class-pdx-lax-lhr feb 2 and it never showed up until last night at 3 am. I got two seats for 57k miles. It is in 2 weeks, so it is possible to get just you have to keep checking. What I usually do as mvp75k, I buy Y tickets and just cancel them if business class becomes available.

jaycoh22 Jan 24, 2018 2:31 pm

I am seeing a problem as well... Below is a search on both AA and AS for availability HTS-PVD in June:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6b5fcf260e.png
Though there is wide open saver availability showing on AA in Y class, AS shows none. Only availability in F. The only one stop routing for HTS-PVD is HTS-CLT-PVD... I checked those legs individually and they both had non-stop availability in Y wide open on AA with nothing on AS.

CDKing Jan 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jaycoh22 (Post 29334979)
I am seeing a problem as well... Below is a search on both AA and AS for availability HTS-PVD in June:

Though there is wide open saver availability showing on AA in Y class, AS shows none. Only availability in F. The only one stop routing for HTS-PVD is HTS-CLT-PVD... I checked those legs individually and they both had non-stop availability in Y wide open on AA with nothing on AS.

That is weird. I got 2 of 3 to come up on 6/1 but only when doing a multi city search. no idea why its not seeing the space as a one way search

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a5d6942aad.jpg

Seat 2A Jan 24, 2018 3:31 pm

It used to be you could find international First Class award seats on AA via AS MP without much trouble. Not any more. I haven't seen any AA F award availability in over a year - and I've plugged in a good number of dates and destinations.

Eastbay1K Jan 24, 2018 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 29335210)
It used to be you could find international First Class award seats on AA via AS MP without much trouble. Not any more. I haven't seen any AA F award availability in over a year - and I've plugged in a good number of dates and destinations.

There are hardly any remaining int'l AA flights with an F cabin, and the remaining cabins are quite small (F8).

eponymous_coward Jan 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 29335210)

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 29335324)
There are hardly any remaining int'l AA flights with an F cabin, and the remaining cabins are quite small (F8).

I just got back from flying HKG-LAX in F on AA, but it basically took me finding a winning lottery ticket on my exact travel date (completely wide-open AA premium class availability EVERYWHERE). And yes, you have very, very few routes left with AA international three-class F (and the AS award price for three-class international F was jacked up in the interim).

With the Flagship Dining Room in LAX and getting access to Pier F in HKG, plus a great crew, I'd say it was worth it at a mild mileage discount to CX F even if the onboard product, while nice enough, is not as nice as CX's F product. Two good meals at sea level beats nearly anything in the air IMO, and the showers in the Flagship Lounge + a meal and a cocktail in the dining room were a great tonic for a mostly sleepless, turbulence-filled ride over the Pacific. However, I can't say I'd be wanting to pay 110k miles if CX F is 40k miles less for the same itinerary I flew, even if it got me Flagship Dining again. I'd probably have a soup and a beer in the Alaska Lounge instead. :p

jaycoh22 Jan 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 29335103)
That is weird. I got 2 of 3 to come up on 6/1 but only when doing a multi city search. no idea why its not seeing the space as a one way search

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a5d6942aad.jpg

Thank you for the work around! Not ideal but at least I can book the award I need.

beckoa Jan 24, 2018 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29335514)
I just got back from flying HKG-LAX in F on AA, but it basically took me finding a winning lottery ticket on my exact travel date (completely wide-open AA premium class availability EVERYWHERE). And yes, you have very, very few routes left with AA international three-class F (and the AS award price for three-class international F was jacked up in the interim).

With the Flagship Dining Room in LAX and getting access to Pier F in HKG, plus a great crew, I'd say it was worth it at a mild mileage discount to CX F even if the onboard product, while nice enough, is not as nice as CX's F product. Two good meals at sea level beats nearly anything in the air IMO, and the showers in the Flagship Lounge + a meal and a cocktail in the dining room were a great tonic for a mostly sleepless, turbulence-filled ride over the Pacific. However, I can't say I'd be wanting to pay 110k miles if CX F is 40k miles less for the same itinerary I flew, even if it got me Flagship Dining again. I'd probably have a soup and a beer in the Alaska Lounge instead. :p

Just confirming, CX F does not grant FlAAgship lounge access? Or does it?

ashill Jan 24, 2018 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 29336246)
Just confirming, CX F does not grant FlAAgship lounge access? Or does it?

Flagship Lounge access? Yes. (Even CX — or any other oneworld — J now grants Flagship Lounge access.) But you have to be in AA F ago get Flagship Dining within the Flagship Lounge.

League Jan 25, 2018 12:02 am

I'm also seeing weird stuff, like (surprisingly) plenty of AA Saver availability for a domestic trip (DSM-MCO in October) on AA's website, but those same flights - avail for 12,500 on aa.com - are NOT available on Alaska's website. In fact there is not a *single* economy award ticket available from DSM-MCO in Oct on Alaska's site, while there are plentiful dates with Saver availability on AA's. Alaska only seems to have access to AA's first class saver space right now... or at least, that's all they are listing in this scenario.

Mauibaby2008 Jan 25, 2018 6:27 am

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29336539)

Flagship Lounge access? Yes. (Even CX — or any other oneworld — J now grants Flagship Lounge access.) But you have to be in AA F ago get Flagship Dining within the Flagship Lounge.

that is incorrect.

CX F DOES grant you Flagship First Dining, at least it does at JFK (did this twice) but not sure of LAX.. although maybe I am mistaken since there are already Oneworld lounges at LAX and not any proper F lounges at JFK ?

CX has a special arrangement with AA to use Flagship First Dining when flying CX F from JFK.

MB

eponymous_coward Jan 25, 2018 7:56 am

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29336539)

As I understand it, oneworld access to a lounge (LAX Flagship) based on the class of service on arriving international long haul flight (CX F HKG-LAX) is predicated on having an onward flight on a oneworld carrier.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Since AS is NOT in oneworld, and AS will not issue an award with CX on the HKG-LAX segment and AA on the LAX-XXX segment, by my reading of the rules I would not have Flagship access on arrival unless I flew AA on both segments. No arriving lounge access for CX or AA/AS (save at the Alaska Lounge if my onward flight was in AS F. I chose to book as AA/AA.)

For departure from LAX on CX F, different story. You should have QF F, OW j and AA Flagship access by rule as your next flight is on a OW carrier.

ashill Jan 25, 2018 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 (Post 29337368)
CX F DOES grant you Flagship First Dining, at least it does at JFK (did this twice) but not sure of LAX.. although maybe I am mistaken since there are already Oneworld lounges at LAX and not any proper F lounges at JFK ?

CX has a special arrangement with AA to use Flagship First Dining when flying CX F from JFK.

MB

I had forgotten about that CX deal with AA. But I think it’s JFK specific. CX lists the AA lounge (explicitly including Flagship Dining) on their JFK airport page, whereas they list the QF F lounge as their lounge on their LAX page. AA’s site only mentions AA F passengers as Flagship Dining eligible; that is, oneworld access rules don’t apply to Flagship Dining. So if there isn’t a specific side deal mentioned for a particular lounge, I would assume there’s no access. But I have no personal experience.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29337649)

As I understand it, oneworld access to a lounge (LAX Flagship) based on the class of service on arriving international long haul flight (CX F HKG-LAX) is predicated on having an onward flight on a oneworld carrier.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Since AS is NOT in oneworld, and AS will not issue an award with CX on the HKG-LAX segment and AA on the LAX-XXX segment, by my reading of the rules I would not have Flagship access on arrival unless I flew AA on both segments. No arriving lounge access for XA/AS (save at the Alaska Lounge if my onward flight was in AS F. I chose to book as AA/AA.)

For departure from LAX on CX F, different story. You should have QF F, OW j and AA Flagship access by rule as your next flight is on a OW carrier.

Yes, it’s oneworld access rules which require a departing oneworld flight.

jaycoh22 Jan 25, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by League (Post 29336672)
I'm also seeing weird stuff, like (surprisingly) plenty of AA Saver availability for a domestic trip (DSM-MCO in October) on AA's website, but those same flights - avail for 12,500 on aa.com - are NOT available on Alaska's website. In fact there is not a *single* economy award ticket available from DSM-MCO in Oct on Alaska's site, while there are plentiful dates with Saver availability on AA's. Alaska only seems to have access to AA's first class saver space right now... or at least, that's all they are listing in this scenario.

If you use the trick CDKing demonstrates above, piecing together the legs of the AA routing using a multi-City search, you can get them to show.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ff55e603d.jpeg

ashill Jan 25, 2018 11:07 am

Originally Posted by jaycoh22 (Post 29338186)
If you use the trick CDKing demonstrates above, piecing together the legs of the AA routing using a multi-City search, you can get them to show.

Glad this works, suggesting that this is a glitch, not AA limiting availability. Any chance we can get Alaska to fix this? @missydarlin?

eponymous_coward Jan 25, 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29338536)
Glad this works, suggesting that this is a glitch, not AA limiting availability. Any chance we can get Alaska to fix this? @missydarlin?

AA may be doing something odd with married segments so that they can offer DSM-MCO but not DSM-CLT and CLT-MCO... probably AS does have to do something to fix it. Nice workaround, though, @CDKing.

ashill Jan 25, 2018 11:40 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29338609)
AA may be doing something odd with married segments so that they can offer DSM-MCO but not DSM-CLT and CLT-MCO... probably AS does have to do something to fix it. Nice workaround, though, @CDKing.

Right, but this workaround (essentially telling AS to search separately for DSM-PHL and PHL-MCO, then having it price out correctly as DSM-PHL) suggests that AA has the opposite of married segment availability; the nonstops are available individually but not as a connecting itinerary. Since AA now has quite a lot of married segments available when the individual segments are not, it seems much more likely that DSM-PHL-MCO would be available when DSM-PHL and/or PHL-MCO are not individually available than the other way around.

However, I bet (hope?) that you're right that this has something to do with AS not correctly parsing/searching for AA's new married segment availability on awards. That seems like a potentially-plausible explanation that doesn't involve the AA/AS redemption partnership falling apart....

jaycoh22 Jan 25, 2018 11:47 am

In both instances I checked (HTS-PVD and DSM-MCO), the individual segments were all available on AA as non-stop saver awards.

CDKing Jan 25, 2018 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by jaycoh22 (Post 29338732)
In both instances I checked (HTS-PVD and DSM-MCO), the individual segments were all available on AA as non-stop saver awards.

I just looked at the HTS-CLT & CLT-PVD separately as one ways on AS site and the 12.5K price came up as well so there is some issue on the AS site

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d3150fed0a.jpg