Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I know that this has been asked and answered somewhere but I can't find it so I'm just going to ask here.
Are my miles from my VX flight ever going to post? It's been over a week. I'm in no particular rush but I want to make sure that they post before I forget about them.
I booked the flight while logged into the AS website. AS there, VX back. When I logged into the VX website to view the return flight, I was surprised to see that there was no FF number attached to the flight. So I added my AS number.
The miles from the AS leg posted 2 days after the flight (before I even returned). But it's been a week since my return leg, and nothing has shown up.
Looks like my recent VX flights posted last night (from <2 weeks ago), so you may want to check again - it seems (speculation here...) the miles are batch processed (and maybe a couple times a month at that...). If they did not post in 2 weeks, I'd go with: www.alaskaair.com/MileagePlan/retrocredit

Last edited by DrAlex; Feb 22, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
No lounge access on U/G First ticket--we used GGUs to U/G

We were flying home from HI earlier this month and tried to get in the AS Lounge at SEA with our boarding passes. The nice lady behind the desk said, "Sorry, but your tix are U/G F so you can't come in." Didn't realize that. Am I the only one who was in the dark? Luckily, I had my PP card and we were let in. Lounge was about half full and I don't remember seeing "the no PP sign" out.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrAlex
Looks like my recent VX flights posted last night (from <2 weeks ago), so you may want to check again - it seems (speculation here...) the miles are batch processed (and maybe a couple times a month at that...). If they did not post in 2 weeks, I'd go with: www.alaskaair.com/MileagePlan/retrocredit
Mine (from 2 mondays ago) still haven't posted.

I'm worried that the FF# wasn't recorded correctly (even though I was signed in when I purchased the ticket and the number was automatically added to the AS segment). When I logged into VX to view the flight, it was not showing an FF #. So I entered my mileageplan number. I'm not sure if that messed anything up.

Anyway if I hit the 2 week mark I'll submit a request.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by philemer
We were flying home from HI earlier this month and tried to get in the AS Lounge at SEA with our boarding passes. The nice lady behind the desk said, "Sorry, but your tix are U/G F so you can't come in." Didn't realize that. Am I the only one who was in the dark? Luckily, I had my PP card and we were let in. Lounge was about half full and I don't remember seeing "the no PP sign" out.
I wouldn't say you are the only one that doesn't know, but correct only revenue and award F tickets. No U class
pbelmore likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I status matched in Oct 20, 2018 so MVP Gold until end of 2019. I'm primarily an AA flyer, as my home airport and typical places I fly make it my best option. Typically I'm also Silver or Gold on Delta, and Silver on United due to CC spend and a match with Marriott platinum status.

Too invested in AA this year to fly Alaska much this year but may next year more, SBA to SLC is my most common route and through PDX or SEA is possible or drive to LAX as I'm doing tomorrow.

Is it possible to status match to Alaska again late this year for 2019? Such an easy process and getting my upgrade for my upcoming LNicAX to SLC flight 72 hrs before was nice, much better than Delta, that's for sure, even when I was Gold. I should have Plat Pro with AA for 2019 would that get me top tier 75K on Alaska if matched?
One per lifetime.

Nice time travel btw
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Sorry if this is a repeat. If you book an award reservation that is ticketed in first class on one segment and in economy on the second segment (paid the first class saver rate), how do you upgrade or attempt to upgrade the second segment?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whyturnright
Sorry if this is a repeat. If you book an award reservation that is ticketed in first class on one segment and in economy on the second segment (paid the first class saver rate), how do you upgrade or attempt to upgrade the second segment?
Call and AS should be able to waitlist you for A (saver F) space to open up. Though in my experience usually the remaining seats turn into elite upgrade seats ( U space) and all the elites are upgraded without A ever opening up.

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 24, 2018 at 10:23 am
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
no seats available do full fare seats open at 24 hrs?

booked a friend on award ticket with no status
not a single free seat in economy
will all the held seats for elites open up at 24 hrs?

thanks
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by boycruz
booked a friend on award ticket with no status
not a single free seat in economy
will all the held seats for elites open up at 24 hrs?

thanks
A lot of them will. Perhaps not all.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I have some My Wallet credits that will expire early next year. If I use those finds (and possibly additional new funds) to purchase a ticket later this year for use next year, but my plans change, can I cancel the new ticket sometime before the date of travel and redeposit the funds in My Wallet? If so, when will they expire? One year from the date of issuance of the new ticket?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Upgrade list question: does the order in which upgrade requests appear in the app indicate in which order upgrades will be processed?

On a flight today, I was #2 on the list after I checked in. All but CCC/C had the "Premium Class seat assigned" checkmark.

1. AAA/A
2. notquiteaff
3. CCC/C
4. DDD/D
5. EEE/E

A few hours before departure AAA/A was upgraded to First Class.

About an hour before departure, DDD/D and EEE/E were assigned seats in First Class. The list then looked like this:

1. AAA/A
2. EEE/E
3. DDD/D
4. notquiteaff
5. CCC/C

What can explain this? Paid-for upgrade? (I didn't receive any offer at checkin)
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Upgrade list question: does the order in which upgrade requests appear in the app indicate in which order upgrades will be processed?

On a flight today, I was #2 on the list after I checked in. All but CCC/C had the "Premium Class seat assigned" checkmark.

1. AAA/A
2. notquiteaff
3. CCC/C
4. DDD/D
5. EEE/E

A few hours before departure AAA/A was upgraded to First Class.

About an hour before departure, DDD/D and EEE/E were assigned seats in First Class. The list then looked like this:

1. AAA/A
2. EEE/E
3. DDD/D
4. notquiteaff
5. CCC/C

What can explain this? Paid-for upgrade? (I didn't receive any offer at checkin)
As far as I know the App and the website have not had the true order since Premium came around.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Obtaining flight history from AS Mileage Plan

Curious if anyone has been successful in contacting AS and getting old Mileage Plan account transactions (5+ years or older), since mileage activity only goes back 24 months.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
MVP traveling with 2 companions with no status. Which of the following will work on AS?

a. Book on 2 PNRs. Link PNR to get preferred seats for companions.
b. Book on 1 PNR. Split PNR after getting preferred seats for companions.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by jacobguo
MVP traveling with 2 companions with no status. Which of the following will work on AS?

a. Book on 2 PNRs. Link PNR to get preferred seats for companions.
b. Book on 1 PNR. Split PNR after getting preferred seats for companions.
They must be on your reservation (by rule) to get any consideration for “preferred seating” but at the MVP level the seats are nothing special in advance afaik. You typically cannot choose premium economy at time of booking on a low fare iirc. Someone may correct me though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.